Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Given this, would you trade Poehling, a top 10 protected 1st, and Pacioretty for Draisaitl? Draisaitl didn't impress me much when we played the oilers.

I would love for Draisatl to come to Montreal, but I wouldn't want to give up Poehling AND another 1st AND Pacioretty for him.

I would rather aim for RNH instead from the Oilers, who would surely be cheaper to acquire than Draisatl.

I'd rather keep Poehling and that pick. Max can go, though.

And instead of giving up Max in a package deal for 1 player, give him up for multiple assets. He alone can get Habs multiple picks (including a 1st rounder) or a pick and a prospect/young NHL'er.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I get a kick out of how maligned pacioretty is around here, yet people expect a first round pick in return.

He is not fetching a 1st round pick right now. I'm confident that teams will be interested in him as a mini reclamation project, but that also means teams will not be offering prized assets in return, and a 1st rounder is certainly a prized asset these days.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I get a kick out of how maligned pacioretty is around here, yet people expect a first round pick in return.

He is not fetching a 1st round pick right now. I'm confident that teams will be interested in him as a mini reclamation project, but that also means teams will not be offering prized assets in return, and a 1st rounder is certainly a prized asset these days.

That's preprosterous

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
what are you offering for pacioretty if you were to trade for him today?

Just because extremely critical fans on a very vicious forum dislike the captain of the habs doesn't mean there won't be competition for the services of a large 29 year old winger with 5 30+ goal seasons and coming off a 35 goal season.

Let's be real.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Given this, would you trade Poehling, a top 10 protected 1st, and Pacioretty for Draisaitl? Draisaitl didn't impress me much when we played the oilers.

Would absolutely do this deal.

Drouin-Draisaitl-Lehkonen
Hudon-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Would be an improved top 6, and all still young with room to grow.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Just because extremely critical fans on a very vicious forum dislike the captain of the habs doesn't mean there won't be competition for the services of a large 29 year old winger with 5 30+ goal seasons and coming off a 35 goal season.

Let's be real.

Pacioretty's biggest value is his current contract and is the reason that a competent GM could ship him out and add if needed to get the center we so desperately need. A good center could help others on the roster to replace his production. If he is not moved at or before the deadline it will be status quo in hab land and Bergevin will probably re-sign him for 7 million a year and the franchise remains stuck in staying the course.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would love for Draisatl to come to Montreal, but I wouldn't want to give up Poehling AND another 1st AND Pacioretty for him.

I would rather aim for RNH instead from the Oilers, who would surely be cheaper to acquire than Draisatl.

I'd rather keep Poehling and that pick. Max can go, though.

And instead of giving up Max in a package deal for 1 player, give him up for multiple assets. He alone can get Habs multiple picks (including a 1st rounder) or a pick and a prospect/young NHL'er.

I agree witht that. With every passing day our 1st pick gains in value and so does Poehling.

I would've done that package every time in september, but now ? No way.

Now Poehling looks like he's gonna be one of the best player of this 2017 group, our pick is obviously gonna be a great pick, Dahlin, Svechnikov, Boqvist, Zadina, Tkachuck, Wahlstrom, Hughes, Kupari and then tehres Pacioretty whos a 1st line winger.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

no way would I do it. Unless management has some major trick they can pull off, this team doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon. So you can't go around trading 1st round picks and your top prospect. While Pac is having a poor season, and as much as he's hated around here, now's not the best time to trade him. I would wait and hope he goes on one of his hot streaks and starts scoring in bunches unless you get an offer that is better then expected. But who knows what the hell management will do.

It's always so hard to try and guess how 30 GMs will value a player. It only takes one desperate GM to overpay. That said he's having such a down year goals wise I do wonder how badly his trade value has dropped. Although I really would be shocked if this management team would trade him, admitting how badly they messed up this past off-season and how we are f***ed for the near term and long term future until they find a way to score a good bit more.

Let's be real.

He's going to have value for sure, it all comes down to what some GM is willing to pay for him. If you go by his past, as much as he's hated around here, the guy has been money in the regular season. If you take out the lockout, he's averaged 35 goals, 65 pts in his 5 full seasons. But while he's on a cheap contract, his numbers for now project to be way under that. he's on pace for 18 goals and 46 pts. At his age you wouldn't think that would be a factor for the drop in production, you can look at the team and it's struggles to score so I would think it will come down to what a GM thinks is the reason and if he can get back to his normal ways or not.

Reactions: Roke

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

You are beyond wrong

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
no way would I do it. Unless management has some major trick they can pull off, this team doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon. So you can't go around trading 1st round picks and your top prospect. While Pac is having a poor season, and as much as he's hated around here, now's not the best time to trade him. I would wait and hope he goes on one of his hot streaks and starts scoring in bunches unless you get an offer that is better then expected. But who knows what the hell management will do.

It's always so hard to try and guess how 30 GMs will value a player. It only takes one desperate GM to overpay. That said he's having such a down year goals wise I do wonder how badly his trade value has dropped. Although I really would be shocked if this management team would trade him, admitting how badly they messed up this past off-season and how we are ****ed for the near term and long term future until they find a way to score a good bit more.

He's going to have value for sure, it all comes down to what some GM is willing to pay for him. If you go by his past, as much as he's hated around here, the guy has been money in the regular season. If you take out the lockout, he's averaged 35 goals, 65 pts in his 5 full seasons. But while he's on a cheap contract, his numbers for now project to be way under that. he's on pace for 18 goals and 46 pts. At his age you wouldn't think that would be a factor for the drop in production, you can look at the team and it's struggles to score so I would think it will come down to what a GM thinks is the reason and if he can get back to his normal ways or not.

Of course it's the team with regards to his production, he may be injured slightly though as he's just objectively not as aggressive on the puck at the moment. That already isn't his strong suit

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't know if I'm to willing to trade our 1st. Look at our 1st round picks under MB. It's really only McCarron who's not looking so hot (Galch in a sense but we know he can be better and is still one of the best picks out of that draft) and I still wouldn't write him off completely.

I haven't seen enough of Draisaitl to say but I might just pull the trigger. It is steep. If we could somehow keep Poehling and give them just about any other prospect.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Of course it's the team with regards to his production, he may be injured slightly though as he's just objectively not as aggressive on the puck at the moment. That already isn't his strong suit

I'm really not sure as you see the 4th line producing with limited time and yet Pac is in a major drought, 1 goal in the last 18 games. Maybe he does have some kind of injury as he doesn't look right out there. Not saying that the team isn't a part of it, just wondering how much as I'm sure he's missing Markov/Rads but still the guy has a lethal shot but can't buy a goal.

I don't know if I'm to willing to trade our 1st. Look at our 1st round picks under MB. It's really only McCarron who's not looking so hot (Galch in a sense but we know he can be better and is still one of the best picks out of that draft) and I still wouldn't write him off completely.

I haven't seen enough of Draisaitl to say but I might just pull the trigger. It is steep. If we could somehow keep Poehling and give them just about any other prospect.

With the way the team is playing, no way can they afford to trade 1st round picks at this point as they are closer to having to rebuild then being able to turn it around. That said while I haven't seen enough of Draisaitl to say what we should give up for him if he were somehow on the market, and I was never a big fan of the oilers draft picks outside of one of the easiest picks of all time in McDavid. That said getting such a skilled/young center would be huge, just not giving up what could be a very good 1st round pick plus what could be a very solid center for us in time. That said I don't see why the oilers would even consider moving him, although I don't follow the NHL outside the Habs at all.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I'm really not sure as you see the 4th line producing with limited time and yet Pac is in a major drought, 1 goal in the last 18 games. Maybe he does have some kind of injury as he doesn't look right out there. Not saying that the team isn't a part of it, just wondering how much as I'm sure he's missing Markov/Rads but still the guy has a lethal shot but can't buy a goal. .

Yeah I mean my earlier point was that the guy is a much better player than what he's been showing. Just because people passionately dislike him or hold him to high expectations he isn't currently meeting doesn't mean that, in general, he holds as much value as a guy like Kessel in my opinion.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah I mean my earlier point was that the guy is a much better player than what he's been showing. Just because people passionately dislike him or hold him to high expectations he isn't currently meeting doesn't mean that, in general, he holds as much value as a guy like Kessel in my opinion.

it's strange to see, we know what he can do and he's always been streaky but I don't recall him looking this bad for this long before. If they were going to trade him, you would hope that some GM is looking at his play over the last 6 years and say he's still young enough that it's just due to the team struggles or injury and would still pay a good price for him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Watching Poehling will be high on my list over the next several days. It will be interesting how he plays against the best 19 year olds in the world.

Reactions: OldCraig71

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Watching Poehling will be high on my list over the next several days. It will be interesting how he plays against the best 19 year olds in the world.

I know it wont probably happen but if he could become a Bergeron or even a ROR it would be huge for us. Specially since this is the type of players both MB and Julien like so no danger they will trade him for a 50 points diminutive winger. He's not russian too so one less danger.

But the fan in me hope.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
it's strange to see, we know what he can do and he's always been streaky but I don't recall him looking this bad for this long before. If they were going to trade him, you would hope that some GM is looking at his play over the last 6 years and say he's still young enough that it's just due to the team struggles or injury and would still pay a good price for him.

Patch's been awful since the playoffs last year. It's not only about his lack of production but his level of play is nowhere close to what it used to be. His lack of production is not because of bad luck but because of bad play. He used to skate and always be in motion ready to grab a puck and fire a bullet. And he had one of the best wrister in the game. Now he reminds me end of career Rucinsky. He seems to be happy with just taking perimeter shots without any screen.

But this said GMs are often slow to react to this. Just look at Gomez. When we got him he was already starting to show worrying signs in NYR. Yet our GM paid a ransom for him. A more modern example would be Duchene. It's crazy what Colorado got for him despite his terrible play and terrible attitude (and here terrible is probably flattering). I always said Sakic would more than likely not find his fish and i was wrong. Reputation is worth a lot in this league. More than how you play on the ice sadly. More often than not the meritocracy is a myth and reputation/experience is held in very very very high standard. Patch has the reputation of a guy able to score goals and playing a good defensive game. If MB would trade him now i think his value would still be very good. Next season it will be too late though.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I know it wont probably happen but if he could become a Bergeron or even a ROR it would be huge for us. Specially since this is the type of players both MB and Julien like so no danger they will trade him for a 50 points diminutive winger. He's not russian too so one less danger.

But the fan in me hope.
After watching him play a lot more this year, I'm optimistic he'll reach his full potential and be a productive NHLer . He's at a point where the one clear weakness I still see is him not using his shot enough and it's something he can always work on. Outside of that, all his tools and strengths are things that will translate to the pros well. Skating and awareness are things that always work well at the next level.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's better than Norris and i'd take him over Mittelstadt as well, that said i was never a big fan of Mittelstadt.
Definitely better than Norris (for now at least) but Mittelstadt has some extra tools offensively. Granted, he hasn't been quite killing it statistically as a freshman this year but Minnesota is having a bad year in general .

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Too bad we waited too long to trade for pulju

He is doing well now

Never been a fan of him (was shocked edmonton did not draft a dman) but he played very well the last game against us. Still don't think he'll ever be elite à la Ovy or Kane but he's on his way to become a good winger and Oilers need those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad