Speculation: Ryan O'reily a 1C

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sabres fans were screaming over the past couple of years that he was a legit #1C. But since we sucked, no one listened. His PPG output is a touch surprising, but he is no-doubt a 1c.

RoR is a good player but for some reason every team he goes to loses. There are lots of reports saying he was a terrible locker room guy and had major issues with eichel. Surprisingly he leaves along with kane and suddenly the Sabres are a top 5 team in the NHL. I always defended him with his time in buffalo but seeing the blues just getting dismantled after the talent they have.

I don't get it his play a d points are always good but his teams just do not do good a d that's what #1 c do they make their teams better and he just hasn't. Plus 5 years at 7.5 mil a d giving up your top 10 pick next year plus giving us 3 players that play I dno I don't see how the blues won the trade.

He literally stated he lost love for the game and didnt have the mental toughness sorry no #1c or even fe NHL players would ever say that.

To address this: Rumors out of Buffalo post-trade was that ROR is a fierce competitor, maybe too fierce. There has been speculation that losing really got to ROR, so much so that a cloud hung over the locker room. Everybody liked him and what he brought, just maybe he was a bit over-the-top in regards to losing. Watching the Sabres this year and there's a completely different attitude. Maybe trading ROR out helped....I dunno.

Note: Am Sabres fan.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
RoR is a good player but for some reason every team he goes to loses. There are lots of reports saying he was a terrible locker room guy and had major issues with eichel. Surprisingly he leaves along with kane and suddenly the Sabres are a top 5 team in the NHL. I always defended him with his time in buffalo but seeing the blues just getting dismantled after the talent they have.

I don't get it his play a d points are always good but his teams just do not do good a d that's what #1 c do they make their teams better and he just hasn't. Plus 5 years at 7.5 mil a d giving up your top 10 pick next year plus giving us 3 players that play I dno I don't see how the blues won the trade.

He literally stated he lost love for the game and didnt have the mental toughness sorry no #1c or even fe NHL players would ever say that.

So much of this is just not true.

Jack Eichel went on Spittin Chiclets and said flat out that the rumors were ridiculous, that he and ROR were really tight and the "ignoring each other after a goal thing" was them needling the media because they thought the rumors were absurd. Say what you will about how off the rails that podcast gets, but they get honest answers out of players.

The Sabres turned over about half of their roster, including adding 1st overall pick Dahlin (who's playing 18:30 a night and on pace for 40 points), a new goalie, Jeff Skinner, 3 actual NHL-level middle 6 veterans, and former 8th overall pick Casey Middlestadt. Acting like those additions are meaningless and they just moved forward with addition via subtraction is absurd.

I have zero problem with his quotes about losing his love of the game. His full, non-cherry picked quote is about how he hates losing and doesn't enjoy the game when the team keeps losing. It's exactly the kind of mentality I want out of a player and he still brought it on the ice last year. I have zero problem with a guy who is showing up getting pissed off that the team is underperforming. 61 points and a +4.9 relative corsi while starting 57% of shifts in the defensive zone is showing up. I'd hate coming to the rink too if I was putting in that type of performance and watching goalies and atrocious defense tank a season.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hard to see a team winning a championship with Ryan O Rielly as it's top centerman TBH. He's on the cusp.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Sabres fans were screaming over the past couple of years that he was a legit #1C. But since we sucked, no one listened. His PPG output is a touch surprising, but he is no-doubt a 1c.

Colorado fans were screaming it before buffalo was. He is no doubt a top C

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
He is a legit #1. Schenn is a legit #2.

And whats great is it really took us little in trades to get both of them.

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
ROR is legit 1c. His defensive skills are top shelf. His passing skills and situation awareness are nearly 100% effective. He's 'Johnny on the spot' in all zones. Can't say enough.

A real pleasure to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad