Speculation: Ryan O'reily a 1C

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I was curious to our teams general consensus in regards to ROR being a legit 1c.

I was in the minority that didn't think he was going to be better than Schenn. Boy was i wrong. I have watched every single game and ROR is a beast. He is on pace for 105pts 40 goals, (i know he probably wont hit that). His toi is 21mins, his face off is 62% and he is defiantly the real deal in my eyes.

So i ask do you guys objectively believe he is a true 1C

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Easily. He's elite on faceoffs, good defensively, and has the ability to score 70 points.

It's not really debatable IMO.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Easily. He's elite on faceoffs, good defensively, and has the ability to score 70 points.

It's not really debatable IMO.

Thats what i thought. I know I am bias but how can you be with the way this kid has been playing. I have never been so wrong about a player in my life. What makes it better is we got him for next to nothing in my eyes

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Has been his whole career. Not sure why so many people here didn't think he was going to be that good. Dude is a worrior and the only guy on the team who shows up every game.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't see any argument that he isn't a 1C (unless you only consider the top 10-15 centers in the league a 1C).

He hasn't been outside the top 35 in points among players listed as center on NHL.com since the lockout shortened season (when he only played 29 games and was on pace to finish in the top 30). His lowest finish in that span was last year at 33rd and every other year he was among the best 30 centers in the league in actual production. He was top 20 in two of those five years. His absolute floor is a 55 point player. He has hit 60+ in 3 of his last 5 seasons and had a 4th season where he was on pace for 60 points but missed 10 games and finished with 55 points. Barring this season, he has been a 55-65 point player. From a pure production standpoint, he is a mid-low end 1C without factoring in his pace this year.

He is 14th among centers in overall points since the start of the 2013/14 season with 318 points in 404 games. Toews is right ahead of him with 320 in the same number of games played. Johansen is 12th with 327 points in 425 GP and Bergeron is 11th at 327 in 403 GP. Two of those guys are future HOF centers and the other is a guy touted as the 1C Army missed out on.

However, it is his 2-way play that makes him unquestionably a 1C. He is the best faceoff man in the league, he is fantastic on the penalty kill, his relative possession numbers are very good and he can hit those offensive totals while playing a pretty defensive role (in the 4 years leading up to this one, his D zone start rate was consistently between 53 and 57%). His lowest finish in Selke voting in the last 5 years is 33rd, but he was top 12 in every other year.

I know that I've harped on the definition of '1C' or 'top 6' a lot on this forum, but I think it is important. We can debate whether or not he is a franchise player or an elite center, but he is objectively a 1C even if his current play is unsustainable and he regresses to what he has been for the last 5 years. Personally, I think he hits 70-75 points this year playing with Tarasenko and I don't see his production falling off a cliff in the seasons to come. I truly believe that ROR will be a top 15 NHL center over his first 3 years as a Blue.

Last edited:

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
To me a 1C is a center that can make any top 9 linemate you put with him look better. So by that standard he is certainly a 1C.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
He's a 1C. The problem is that so far this season Schenn hasn't been a 1C or a 2C.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He's a 1C. The problem is that so far this season Schenn hasn't been a 1C or a 2C.

Schenn's currently on pace for 23 goals, 35 assists and 58 points over an 82 game season. He needs to be better, but those aren't 3rd line numbers.

Reactions: rumrokh

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Schenn's currently on pace for 23 goals, 35 assists and 58 points over an 82 game season. He needs to be better, but those aren't 3rd line numbers.

You're right. The numbers are ok. But he just hasn't had the impact that he needs to have for this to be a good team.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Schenn was far and away the second best player on the team until he got injured and Tarasenko turned it on. He has been fine.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

Bluenatic

Fresh start
Aug 13, 2010
STL
I don't see any argument that he isn't a 1C (unless you only consider the top 10-15 centers in the league a 1C).

He hasn't been outside the top 35 in points among players listed as center on NHL.com since the lockout shortened season (when he only played 29 games and was on pace to finish in the top 30). His lowest finish in that span was last year at 33rd and every other year he was among the best 30 centers in the league in actual production. He was top 20 in two of those five years. His absolute floor is a 55 point player. He has hit 60+ in 3 of his last 5 seasons and had a 4th season where he was on pace for 60 points but missed 10 games and finished with 55 points. Barring this season, he has been a 55-65 point player. From a pure production standpoint, he is a mid-low end 1C without factoring in his pace this year.

He is 14th among centers in overall points since the start of the 2013/14 season with 318 points in 404 games. Toews is right ahead of him with 320 in the same number of games played. Johansen is 12th with 327 points in 425 GP and Bergeron is 11th at 327 in 403 GP. Two of those guys are future HOF centers and the other is a guy touted as the 1C Army missed out on.

However, it is his 2-way play that makes him unquestionably a 1C. He is the best faceoff man in the league, he is fantastic on the penalty kill, his relative possession numbers are very good and he can hit those offensive totals while playing a pretty defensive role (in the 4 years leading up to this one, his D zone start rate was consistently between 53 and 57%). His lowest finish in Selke voting in the last 5 years is 33rd, but he was top 12 in every other year.

I know that I've harped on the definition of '1C' or 'top 6' a lot on this forum, but I think it is important. We can debate whether or not he is a franchise player or an elite center, but he is objectively a 1C even if his current play is unsustainable and he regresses to what he has been for the last 5 years. Personally, I think he hits 70-75 points this year playing with Tarasenko and I don't see his production falling off a cliff in the seasons to come. I truly believe that ROR will be a top 15 NHL center over his first 3 years as a Blue.
Great post. Good info

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Yeah, but can he coach?
Let's find out
upload_2018-11-19_22-39-16.jpeg

Bing8726

Nov 20, 2018
RoR is a good player but for some reason every team he goes to loses. There are lots of reports saying he was a terrible locker room guy and had major issues with eichel. Surprisingly he leaves along with kane and suddenly the Sabres are a top 5 team in the NHL. I always defended him with his time in buffalo but seeing the blues just getting dismantled after the talent they have.

I don't get it his play a d points are always good but his teams just do not do good a d that's what #1 c do they make their teams better and he just hasn't. Plus 5 years at 7.5 mil a d giving up your top 10 pick next year plus giving us 3 players that play I dno I don't see how the blues won the trade.

He literally stated he lost love for the game and didnt have the mental toughness sorry no #1c or even fe NHL players would ever say that.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I was curious to our teams general consensus in regards to ROR being a legit 1c.

I was in the minority that didn't think he was going to be better than Schenn. Boy was i wrong. I have watched every single game and ROR is a beast. He is on pace for 105pts 40 goals, (i know he probably wont hit that). His toi is 21mins, his face off is 62% and he is defiantly the real deal in my eyes.

So i ask do you guys objectively believe he is a true 1C

Not just a 1C but hands down the best player on the entire roster.

Reactions: Veneficus

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
RoR is a good player but for some reason every team he goes to loses. There are lots of reports saying he was a terrible locker room guy and had major issues with eichel. Surprisingly he leaves along with kane and suddenly the Sabres are a top 5 team in the NHL. I always defended him with his time in buffalo but seeing the blues just getting dismantled after the talent they have.

I don't get it his play a d points are always good but his teams just do not do good a d that's what #1 c do they make their teams better and he just hasn't. Plus 5 years at 7.5 mil a d giving up your top 10 pick next year plus giving us 3 players that play I dno I don't see how the blues won the trade.

He literally stated he lost love for the game and didnt have the mental toughness sorry no #1c or even fe NHL players would ever say that.
More posts like this please!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad