Speculation: Ryan O'Reilly

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...s-is-ryan-oreilly-finished-with-the-avalanche

Adrian Dater, Avalanche insider and beat reporter, said:

O'Reilly's days as an Av have been over for a while now. He will not be back.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415885

Dreger added that the expected return that Colorado would want in a trade would be a roster player and a top prospect.

Would we have any real interest in adding O'Reilly? Or is the current group of forwards set with enough talent in the AHL to help turn things around? Is an offer sheet of $5 million too much? Which roster player and top prospect would you offer that the Avs would realistically want?

Last edited by a moderator:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I doubt it. If you think about it, our top 6 is pretty good. On paper anyway. Malone would be dealt I would say before any other top 6er. Not sure we should be trading our prospects, as much as I'd like to have ROR here.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I could see a use for O'Reilly as a wing but I don't think he's worth what he's believed to be looking for (around 5 million)

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I doubt it. If you think about it, our top 6 is pretty good. On paper anyway. Malone would be dealt I would say before any other top 6er. Not sure we should be trading our prospects, as much as I'd like to have ROR here.

I would have to agree with you and we already have two great centers in Stammer and Vinny. I'm not quite sure where Malone fits in our team anymore with Killorn showing glimpses that he can eventually fill the void of a gritty forward who can park in front of the net. I'd imagine they'd want one of Connolly, Killorn or Panik and I'm not really keen on trading any since they're all wingers (we're more or less set for center).

For me, O'Reilly is the ideal third line center on a championship team. He can shutdown the opposition's best lines, is an excellent PKer and is good enough offensively that he can fill our 2nd line center role if Vinny gets injured again. O'Reilly is the type of talented player that you don't fear putting on the ice late in games to protect a one goal lead.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I could see a use for O'Reilly as a wing but I don't think he's worth what he's believed to be looking for (around 5 million)

Agreed, one good season offensively does not justify the high price tag. His defensive work and play without the puck is excellent, but I would still hesitate to state it compensates for the inflated valuation. We could really use a winger with his skill set though.

If it meant getting shot of Malone's salary, would it be worth it?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Agreed, one good season offensively does not justify the high price tag. His defensive work and play without the puck is excellent, but I would still hesitate to state it compensates for the inflated valuation. We could really use a winger with his skill set though.

If it meant getting shot of Malone's salary, would it be worth it?

Maybe, though there wouldn't be a lot of grit if the top 6 were Marty, Honey Badger, ROR, Vinny, Purcell, and Stammer. I mean, Vinny would be the bruiser of the bunch.

As for ROR, he went a bit retweet crazy yesterday so now I'm not so sure. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
5Mil is not bad for this season but that caphit will kill us next year.If they'd take Malone or Brewer as the roster player I'd be ok with giving up a Killorn or Panik. We need a C who can win draws late in the game. He's at least 10 years Younger than Vinny who I love but can't play forever and I don't see a 2C in our system currently.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Maybe, though there wouldn't be a lot of grit if the top 6 were Marty, Honey Badger, ROR, Vinny, Purcell, and Stammer. I mean, Vinny would be the bruiser of the bunch.

As for ROR, he went a bit retweet crazy yesterday so now I'm not so sure. :sarcasm:

At this point, I'm not sure if Malone's performances can justify him as a top 6 option anymore. He's certainly paid as one, but he hasn't been nearly physical or effective enough to really maintain his place in that group. Ideally, we could use a player like Benn, Doan, Brown, Backes, E.Kane, Lucic, Nash etc. as a physical presence on the wing, but they're mostly all a pipe dream. Killorn may eventually be able to fill the void, but he's still untested and very raw in his development.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
5Mil is not bad for this season but that caphit will kill us next year.If they'd take Malone or Brewer as the roster player I'd be ok with giving up a Killorn or Panik. We need a C who can win draws late in the game. He's at least 10 years Younger than Vinny who I love but can't play forever and I don't see a 2C in our system currently.

ROR definitely has age on his side and he's good on face-offs, over 50% in the last two seasons. While Hall and Thompson are great on face-offs and responsible defensively, I'd rather have a better player in O'Reilly on the ice late in games. I do think we're lacking a top 6 player who is very astute defensively, yet can also contribute offensively, like Chicago with Sharp/Toews, Vancouver with Kesler/Burrows, NYR with Callahan, Boston with Bergeron, LA with M.Richards/Brown, Minnesota with Parise etc.

I'd also be fine with giving up Malone and Panik or Killorn for O'Reilly. However, where does that leave Namestnikov? Do you think he's talented enough to eventually fill the void as a 2nd line center? If not, would he be considered a top prospect to send the Avalanche's way?

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
With the cap being what it will next year, I'd like to stay away from any O'Reilly deal. Great player, just his contract demands are a little too steep. Not in expenses but in cap space. There's a difference.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
ROR definitely has age on his side and he's good on face-offs, over 50% in the last two seasons. While Hall and Thompson are great on face-offs and responsible defensively, I'd rather have a better player in O'Reilly on the ice late in games. I do think we're lacking a top 6 player who is very astute defensively, yet can also contribute offensively, like Chicago with Sharp/Toews, Vancouver with Kesler/Burrows, NYR with Callahan, Boston with Bergeron, LA with M.Richards/Brown, Minnesota with Parise etc.

I'd also be fine with giving up Malone and Panik or Killorn for O'Reilly. However, where does that leave Namestnikov? Do you think he's talented enough to eventually fill the void as a 2nd line center? If not, would he be considered a top prospect to send the Avalanche's way?

I haven't seen any Crunch games so haven't been able to check out Namestnikov. I don't think he'll be an elite 2C but a good 3C, ROR will be a better 2C IMO plus Namestnikov is 2/3 years away at least. Im not sure what Colorado's needs are but I'd trade Namestnikov over Panik.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Colorado would prefer D coming back, I think. They have legit top pairing Dman in Erik Johnson. Rest should be in the bottom pairing or out of NHL.

Unfortunately, we don't have any top defensemen prospects aside from Koekkoek and I really doubt we'll be moving him. I guess we don't make good trading partners...

I haven't seen any Crunch games so haven't been able to check out Namestnikov. I don't think he'll be an elite 2C but a good 3C, ROR will be a better 2C IMO plus Namestnikov is 2/3 years away at least. Im not sure what Colorado's needs are but I'd trade Namestnikov over Panik.

I feel the same way about Namestnikov, but was hoping someone who's monitored his development more closely could confirm or deny my stance on him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
According to HF Colorado lacks wingers and have D depth. I also always read how they need a LHD to play next to Johnson. So I can see a Brewer + Killorn/Panik deal be of some interest.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Would rather have Killorn than ROR, and I would not trade Panik because this kid could end up to be a dominate player. There are times Panik can take over a game, and games where he is no where to be found. If he ever puts it together look out.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In prospect pool yes. In NHL roster, no.

Thats why I made a proposal where I sent a NHL D who can play top minutes next to EJ and a prospect winger who also happens to be NHL ready.
I like Killorn but ROR is currently better and will be better going forwards. I too think Panik is better than Killorn and wouldn't want to trade him but you need to give to get, maybe Colorado could send a D prospect back so it gives us so more depth at that position.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Unless they will take Malone+Johnson or something close to that, I wouldnt even look at it.

Hes not necessarily needed, and if the rumors about what he wants in a contract are true he is out of his mind as well.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Unless they will take Malone+Johnson or something close to that, I wouldnt even look at it.

Hes not necessarily needed, and if the rumors about what he wants in a contract are true he is out of his mind as well.

Yeah, gonna take more then that.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I have no idea why we would want this guy. What we need is a Lucic Hartnell type player and that just is not happening.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Yeah, gonna take more then that.

Dont think it will honestly. Maybe a slightly higher caliber either roster player or prospect, but the value when ROR is basically never playing for them again, is pretty close.

But either way, like I said, IF THEY WOULD take, so its more of, thats what I would offer and that would be the end of it type deal. :)

The Yzerplan

Not enough goalies
May 14, 2009
Really ? We're probably one of the last teams in the league who needs him. 5 million is way too much for a 3rd line center. Remember we have Lecavalier (7.7m) and Stamkos (7.5m) and they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Add in the fact that we're stacked on forwards and fairly thin on defense, and Colorado needs defense. Never going to happen.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Five million for what exactly? ROR is an okay player, but hell i'd cringe at giving him more than like 3-3.5. Hes just frankly not that good at this point in time.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
According to HF Colorado lacks wingers and have D depth. I also always read how they need a LHD to play next to Johnson. So I can see a Brewer + Killorn/Panik deal be of some interest.

O'reilly for Carle straight up. or even sweeten the deal and give Colorado a 2nd rounder to make sure it gets done.

Then call up Barberio.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
O'reilly for Carle straight up. or even sweeten the deal and give Colorado a 2nd rounder to make sure it gets done.

Then call up Barberio.

medium_wtfkells.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad