Ryan O'Reilly Said he lost the "love of the game" multiple times this season.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Who cares what your team did 20 years ago. Has Sabres won the Cup, pretty sure Toronto did in 1967. You see how dumb that is?

Oh I definitely do. But your the one who brought up even more history after I just made one little jab out of joking around. If you don't want to stroll down memory lane. quit going further down the road?

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Thats fair, and I do apologize if it hit a nerve for sure.

I just mean when a player comes out and says "losing has become acceptable" and when you see the pieces that have been on the sabres, one could ask.

I also look at somebody like Kane, he was most likely a horrible toxic in that dressing room, and when you add in the management, coaching, and losing, one could think maybe a problem exists?

I also know that injuries and goaltending have not helped, and the Avs have lost and added pieces, some addition by subtraction. Add Mackinnon and the year he is having, plus they have won a bit before, I can see the turn around.

Fair statement?
yeah, I think that's fair. I also think that it doesn't do justice to the truth of anything to assume that one thing said in one interview by one player is indactive of how everyone feels... nor even how that player feels moving ahead into the future.

from watching the sabres this year it's clear to me (and mostly everyone else) that ror is quick to blame himself for bigger issues that he can't solve.

For some reason he just can't realize how bad most of his teammates are at hockey. Or maybe he doesn't want to believe it? I don't know... but it also doesn't mean that he didn't have a great year relatively speaking, or that he's given up on his teammates, or that he thinks that losing actually is acceptable. the quote insinuates nothing, it's just what it is, his perspective at a singular moment in time. Or in more clear terms, his own observation in hindsight. let's just not forget that ror isn't infailable, and that he's likely just running through old scripts in interviews to help him cope with how bad the sabres were this year

the Kane thing, I think easily got blown out of proportion due to his rocky past. Watching Kane play this year, he gave his all. And it seemed like he was well liked and respected in the locker room, the opposite of a cancer. Just not a good fit for the style of game coaching wants out of players

Anyways... It's always been my stance that teams with good players win. Buffalo has way less good players than probably every team in the NHL. We don't have to cook up narratives of 'losing culture' this and that to say that, so let's just be honest about it, our players sucked and a bunch of them need to be replaced by better ones

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The guy's been to the playoffs once in 9 seasons and has been on some truly awful teams. The losing catches up with you after a while, especially in a season like this when you certainly weren't expecting to go backwards again.. I'm sure it happened with Taylor Hall to an extent as well, but he was still able to regain his focus and produce a Hart worthy season this year.

ROR is being brutally honest here (which we supposed want from our athletes) and is getting roasted for it. Seems like he wants to be part of the solution and right now that involves being honest about everything that went wrong this season.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I enjoy watching fans of non-contenders argue about whose team was better most recently

17 years and counting btchz

I also enjoy the offseason ruminations of guys who left this franchise in the dust and now find themselves sitting in it themselves

Reactions: Flair Hay

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Can someone explain to me why wanting to be paid and wanting to win are mutually exclusive. If you can do that can you also explain to me why it's not possible for a playet to be well paid and still not be a robot that doesn't get worn down by an 82 game schedule where you're playing for nothing aftet the first month or so?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If you are going to diss a team, at least realize your team hasn't had success in the playoffs as well. Last time Sabres won a series was in 2007, and haven't made it since 2011, so please don't bring up playoffs if you are going to diss a team.

And yes, Leafs have gone through the same drought. Sabres are an okay team, and may even make the playoffs next year, but come on, we are not just a team that has a good goalie, heck our goalie stinks it up every now and then. We also have Kadri, Bozak, Marleau, Dermott, all excellent players for their level. And you also mention coaching, if that is your excuse why the team is not doing well, you better find a Babcock.

Leaf fans have always complained about coaching and ragged on Paul Maurice, guess what, Paul Maurice's Jets are a top 5 team. It's not always the coach's fault the team sucks, it also has to do with the structure and players of the team.

Also don't forget Carlyle in Anaheim recently.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Can someone explain to me why wanting to be paid and wanting to win are mutually exclusive. If you can do that can you also explain to me why it's not possible for a playet to be well paid and still not be a robot that doesn't get worn down by an 82 game schedule where you're playing for nothing aftet the first month or so?

ROR spent his time complaining endlessly and trying to secure contracts from the Avalanche, Flames, and Sabres, all of whom were last place teams while he was signing with them.

Winning and money don't have to be mutually exclusive, but he consciously signed deals with bad teams because he wanted to be paid.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
ROR spent his time complaining endlessly and trying to secure contracts from the Avalanche, Flames, and Sabres, all of whom were last place teams while he was signing with them.

Winning and money don't have to be mutually exclusive, but he consciously signed deals with bad teams because he wanted to be paid.
If they’re not mutually exclusive, then what’s the issue?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Sabres tanked for ekblad and mcdavid and hasn't recovered since. Just another sad story to dissuade teams from tanking.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The guy's been to the playoffs once in 9 seasons and has been on some truly awful teams. The losing catches up with you after a while, especially in a season like this when you certainly weren't expecting to go backwards again.. I'm sure it happened with Taylor Hall to an extent as well, but he was still able to regain his focus and produce a Hart worthy season this year.

ROR is being brutally honest here (which we supposed want from our athletes) and is getting roasted for it. Seems like he wants to be part of the solution and right now that involves being honest about everything that went wrong this season.

Yup. I can totally understand his frustration. Its one thing to not win a cup, but competitive players like hall and ror at least want to compete for it in the playoffs. Same for duchene, hes only been in the playoffs twice and once was his rookie season.

Reactions: HBK27

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
If I were a team in rebuild mode, I would stay clear of ROR.

No shit. You don't go after a guy of RoR's caliber if you are rebuilding. Rebuilds are meant for youth, not guys in their prime years.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
This guy is so damn emotional. Great player but you can’t have your leaders be wildly emotional like that. His own agent called him a “stubborn young man” during those contract negotiations a few years back.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Name one hockey player that doesn't want to get paid? I don't understand this logic.

Reactions: BHD

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There was an article in one of the MN papers about the culture change Ennis and Foligno went through when they got to the Wild from Buffalo. Wild's Foligno and Ennis happy in Minnesota, 'where losing is not an option.'

Staal had said similar things about his last year with the Canes his first season with the Wild.

The culture for the Sabres needs to change. I don't know how do that, but if Buffalo wants to pay me a lot money to figure it out, count me in. :nod:

I see nothing wrong with anything ROR said. It was more than the usual lip-service that most athletes give end of year interviews.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
And if Jack didn't call anyone out he'd be complacent with losing. It's a lose lose situation for him. He's trying to be part of changing the culture, and he's done more than anyone else to help. From calling guys out, to taking new players out to lunch, something no one did for him when he got here. Jacks going to be here a long time, he needs to be demanding and call guys out, no matter what his age.

Eichel needs to read the classic book "How to Win Friends and Influence People". It's one thing to call the team out if it's a good team that's underperforming and they need to be challenged, but calling out a team that's already demoralized is a stupid idea. It comes across as trying to pass the blame to others. I guarantee you a few of his teammates resent him for it. That team needs as much positivity as possible. They need their leaders to build them up.

Just look at how Babcock led the Leafs during the tank year when they finished last. He NEVER berated his players. He shielded them from the media, focused on the learning and teaching side of things, on "the process", and how they were going to be men and do things the right way and work hard every night and eventually that would lead to great things.

Eichel will learn in time, but it was stupid for them to make him captain so young. He doesn't have a natural leadership mentality the way a guy like Matthews does.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Most people do. Why are players chastised on here for wanting money? Like if you were in the top-100 in your field, out of the entire planet, you wouldn't want to get paid?
Sure I would, but if I'm being paid millions of dollars, if me going to a contender means I make 5M a year, and going to a bottom feeder I get 8M a year, I take the contender. Still a multimillionaire.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm just asking for some clarity on what this 'losing culture' looks like, because I think it's an absurd idea that doesn't say much of anything at all

ask Colorado... It seems like they had a pretty big culture of losing going on over there, and now they're in the playoffs. you could also say the same about Toronto

was it in infusion of young talent and strong goaltending that changed those teams or did the players go home over the summer, read self help books, and realize 'oh hey! We're winners'?

I, like others, am always amazed that people actually believe adding sufficient talent to turn a bad team into a good team turns a bad team into a good team.

All you need is picture of kitten hanging from a tree with the words "Hang in there" or put on the mighty ducks (any of them). 10 point 4th liner + team spirit = PPG star.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Sad to see our expansion cousins in a rut like this... we're there to :(. RIP 1970 expansion brothers.

Reactions: Thorton02

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Sure I would, but if I'm being paid millions of dollars, if me going to a contender means I make 5M a year, and going to a bottom feeder I get 8M a year, I take the contender. Still a multimillionaire.
If that's what would happen, good for you. Most people wouldn't. It's an easy thing to say when you don't actually have to face the decision.

Again, what is wrong with players wanting money?

Reactions: BHD

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I like the honesty from ROR, but truthfully, he did this to himself. Buffalo has been a shithole franchise for years, and he wanted to get paid, regardless of considerations for how happy he may be on a good team. Winning and getting paid aren’t mutually exclusive, but in the salary cap era, the teams that can really afford to “pay” are often the ones with a poor roster and therefore are more likely to be bad.

The money would be great, but honestly, I can’t fathom how I would feel about playing meaningless games on a bad team for years on end, just because I got a little greedy.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If that's what would happen, good for you. Most people wouldn't. It's an easy thing to say when you don't actually have to face the decision.

Again, what is wrong with players wanting money?

How do you know? You're only one person. Money isn't everything.

Nothing wrong with players wanting money, but the goal of your career is to win, chasing money isn't respected when you're a top player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad