Ryan O'Reilly Said he lost the "love of the game" multiple times this season.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Here comes the "Subject Matter Experts of Avs Ex-Players Brigade". I'll never understand it. They do the same with Duchene as well. People don't change and evolve as human beings, who knew.

Hahaha, what a brilliant over simplification of an entire fanbase based on one poster who happens to support Duchene entirely and still misses him as a player. Well done sir or madam.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Hahaha, what a brilliant over simplification of an entire fanbase based on one poster who happens to support Duchene entirely and still misses him as a player. Well done sir or madam.

It's an endemic problem IMO but I appreciate your objectivity

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Stupid quote taken out of context. Nobody works harder than him and nobody hates losing more than him. He wants to be a key piece in Buffalo turning it around, he doesn’t want out. He wants guys to hate losing a bit more, have some damn pride.

God, I’d love him back on the Avs.

Reactions: 81818o8

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Does nobody here have any critical thoughts or reasoning.

Yes, ROR signed for money and nobody is blaming him for that.
What everyone is saying is that he signed with a franchise that has been very bad for a while now, and was historically bad when he signed there, because he values the money over real success.
That's not true. People didn't just start criticizing this guy yesterday, and he is far from the only player on here to be criticized for the same reason.

He consciously chose to sign with a losing team to secure himself financially. That is a completely valid life move, you just cannot complain about all the losing afterwards
Did you watch the interview? That hardly qualifies as complaining. He is clearly genuinely dejected by the whole situation.

Initially people ripped on this guy for only caring about money, and now he's getting ripped on for caring about his team. There's nothing mutually exclusive between the two. Where's the line in here between criticism and reveling?

Everyone has a right to dislike the guy, I'm just trying to understand why (unless you're an Avs fan, or because the whole Tim Hortons incident lol).

I love how people act like the Sabres being bad is a culture thing and not a "have drafted like 6 top6/top4 players since the lockout and traded half of them away" thing.
I do wonder sometimes about this "losing culture" thing, and how much it's really a factor.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It's an endemic problem IMO but I appreciate your objectivity

Every fanbase has their baggage. I could go around the entire NHL and pull out things that are general groupthink, doesn't mean I'm going to call out people on them (or at least I try not to, we're all human).

Duchy's baggage is fresh with Avs fans, he wanted to go to a playoff team and ended up leaving one instead. ROR's baggage still stings, he was a really good player many liked and he out-priced himself from the team and held out in Russia. We're also a fanbase hit hard recently with poor play, poor veteran leadership and poor management. So the issues are going to be more vocal.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
O’Reilly’s reason for leaving the Avs: “I’m just as good as Duchene and shouldn’t be making less.”

Duchene’s reason for leaving the Avs: “I’m tired of losing and want to make the playoffs.”

One guy wanted respect, which the previous regime never showed him. Other guy was completely coddled for years with an internal team cap underneath his salary, yet returned the favour by asking for a trade because he thought the team sucked.

I know which one I prefer.

Reactions: Thorton02

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
O’Reilly’s reason for leaving the Avs: “I’m just as good as Duchene and shouldn’t be making less.”

Duchene’s reason for leaving the Avs: “I’m tired of losing and want to make the playoffs.”

One guy wanted respect, which the previous regime never showed him. Other guy was completely coddled for years with an internal team cap underneath his salary, yet returned the favour by asking for a trade because he thought the team sucked.

I know which one I prefer.

@Lonewolfe2015

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Regardless of how good life is a lot of us "loose the love" of our jobs or hobbies or even family. It's hard to be "ON" all the time, especially when experiencing some failures in a high pressure situation. No need to over analyze this.

Good luck in Denmark ROR and hopefully the Sabers pick it up next year. No where to go but up!

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
So we're going to pretend Colorado was anything more than a middling team during his tenure there? Better than bottom rung (except in '13 and in '17 , after he was gone), but still not truly competitive. This is obviously just another dogpile on Buffalo thread ft. character assassinations and what not, so carry on.
I said I hope he's miserable for the rest of his career, I didn't say anything about the Sabres.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Oh yea, Sabres suck because of ROR and eichel! Probably Reinhart, Scandella, Risto too!

Totally not because of girgensons, Larson, pominville, lehner, Johnson, Nolan, bogosian, gorges, Beaulieu, pouliout, McCabe, or josefson.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
At least Buffalo isn't a totally screwed organization as a whole - its just the last 5 years. They bounce back in the next two years

a few other teams are in worse shape with better teams

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Ror set the nhl record for faceoff wins this year. He also put up 61 pts on by far the lowest scoring team in the league. He only took 2 penalty minutes the entire season. He plays good defensive hockey. I never questioned his effort all year, he gives it all every game. He is worth his contract. The entire team is frustrated with the results. We need depth on this team, our top players perform. The Larsson, Girgensons, Nolan, bogosian, lehner, Beaulieu, Pominville need to be gone. Adding Alex, Casey, Guhle and hopefully a top 3 pick this year will add the needed depth to improve a little bit. Housley coaching is what worries me the most. But the concept of a losing culture is very much real. However, we’ve seen some impressive turn arounds recently in the Nhl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Tim Murray took the whole goddamn organization down. Well done Ottawa. Your plan to sabotage a division rival's rebuild worked to perfection. Why the hell didn't you take out Toronto too though?

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
At least Buffalo isn't a totally screwed organization as a whole - its just the last 5 years. They bounce back in the next two years

a few other teams are in worse shape with better teams
I tend to agree with this, that is if the new management doesn't drop the ball like the old guard did

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Losing culture is real
maybe if you like to impose narratives on people and places without any sincere effort at analysis the idea of losing culture is real... but I think most sensible people would think that taking a closer look at any situation is a better approach

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
So if Duchene ever expresses his feelings about the losing culture in Ottawa, are people going to rake him through the coals too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad