Proposal: Ryan O'Reilly for Noah Hanifin

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
carolina probably views o'reilly as a #2C instead of a #1C so they'd say no to this

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Canes fan here. How about we meet half way. Faulk for ROR? Hanifin for ROR is a tough one. The reason why is because of the potential Noah has. Not a bad trade. More of in the "I'm not sure." department.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Canes fan here. How about we meet half way. Faulk for ROR? Hanifin for ROR is a tough one. The reason why is because of the potential Noah has. Not a bad trade. More of in the "I'm not sure." department.

Faulk's value has tanked this year. Would be unwise to trade him now. Hanifin has taken some big steps this year. ROR is a good player but Canes don't move a 20 y/o future 1st pairing D (potentially a #1) for him.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Carolina would be wise to turn some of their D depth over to strengthen themselves down the middle, but I don't think ROR is the player they should be targeting. ROR is a fine player, but with Jordan Staal already on the team playing that 200 ft game, I'd be looking for someone with a more offensively tilted game.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Mittelstadt isn't there yet, but down the line a Mittelstadt - Hanifin based swap could make sense. Both very young, but potentially high quality #1s at their positions. Mittelstadt just needs another couple of seasons before he's showing that class in the NHL.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
carolina probably views o'reilly as a #2C instead of a #1C so they'd say no to this

Why?

He'll be turning 27 in Feb.... he's signed for 5 more seasons at market value. He's well regarded for his defensive game... so here's where he stacks up against his peers offensively:

Over the last 5 seasons, most points:
1 Crosby
2 Backstrom
3 Seguin
4 Tavares
5 Giroux
6 Pavelski
7 Malkin
8 Getzlaf
9 Kopitar
10 Thornton
11 Toews 367 games /281 pts / 0.79 pts per game
12 Johansen 367 games / 281 pts / 0.77 pts per game
13 Bergeron 359 games / 276 pts / 0.77 pts per game
14 Schiefele 333 games / 264 pts / 0.79 pts per game
15 O'reilly 349 games / 264 pts / 0.76 pts per game

Reactions: Goleafsgo95

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
How is downgrading to fault "meeting in the middle" lol? You admit it's a tough decision I.e a fair trade, then suggest we downgrade. That's not meeting in the middle lol

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
OReilly isn’t untradable, but I’d be pretty hesitant about trading him for Hanifin, for the same reasons I was hesitant to trade Reinhart for him back before Reinhart caught the Black Plague and was shunned by all.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Why?

He'll be turning 27 in Feb.... he's signed for 5 more seasons at market value. He's well regarded for his defensive game... so here's where he stacks up against his peers offensively:

Over the last 5 seasons, most points:
1 Crosby
2 Backstrom
3 Seguin
4 Tavares
5 Giroux
6 Pavelski
7 Malkin
8 Getzlaf
9 Kopitar
10 Thornton
11 Toews 367 games /281 pts / 0.79 pts per game
12 Johansen 367 games / 281 pts / 0.77 pts per game
13 Bergeron 359 games / 276 pts / 0.77 pts per game
14 Schiefele 333 games / 264 pts / 0.79 pts per game
15 O'reilly 349 games / 264 pts / 0.76 pts per game

Total points over the last 5 years is a terrible way to determine who is a #1C. It immediately eliminates anyone who 1) was drafted or emerged less than 5 years ago or 2) had any significant injury due to pure game volume. McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Stamkos, MacKinnon, Barkov, Kuznetsov, etc. etc.

Reactions: Skobel24

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Total points over the last 5 years is a terrible way to determine who is a #1C. It immediately eliminates anyone who 1) was drafted or emerged less than 5 years ago or 2) had any significant injury due to pure game volume. McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Stamkos, MacKinnon, Barkov, Kuznetsov, etc. etc.

It's comparing him to his peer group.

No matter what way you slice it. ROR is a #1 center.

Over the last 3 years, anyone who has played at least 100 games.... ROR is 22nd among Centers in Pts per game (and that is all while he's been on a bad team, doing ridiculous heavy lifting defensively). He has scored more and averages more than Jonathan Toews over that period, while playing an identical role, on a shitty team... he's 3 years younger, and makers 3 million less.

Go ahead and tell me Jonathan Toews isn't a #1 center....

There is no objective world where ROR isn't a #1 center.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Canes fans aren't turning it down because of anything ROR is or isn't. They are turning it down because on a stacked blueline that includes Slavin, Pesce and Faulk, there's a decent chance sometime in the near future that Hanifin will be the best of the bunch. And that speaks volumes. Although he's still got consistency issues IMO. If ROR were the same age as Hanifin it might be a different story - as it is, I think they should just shop Faulk around and not mess with the Slavin-Pesce-Hanifin foundation. And no, I don't think Faulk in his current form gets them ROR unless some very generous and valuable assets are added.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Probably the same reason Buffalo passes

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wow I thought Canes would be for this but sounds like no. ROR is a 1B Center for sure.

He is, but the Canes need more of an offensive dynamo 1C that lets Skinner, Aho & Necas slot into more supporting attacking roles. Thus why I think Mittelstadt could be a great target for them in another year or two if they can't woo Tavares in FA

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Also, it bumps guys like Jason Spezza much higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad