Ryan O'Reilly charged with Impaired Driving [Mod Warning OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
He might have been looking for a drive-thru window..... But all kidding aside, ROR is a bum in my book for endangering the lives of innocent people on the road. He has NO EXCUSE for not arranging for alternative transportation considering the crazy amount of money he makes. Throw the book at him!!!!!!

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Who cares? He's gonna get a good lawyer will get very minimum punishment and he can't get suspended by the league for this anyways. This isn't like getting busted with $800 dollars in drugs or abusing your wife. Absolutely comical what some are saying they think his punishment should be. Even if he couldn't manage a top of the line lawyer his punishment still wouldn't effect him much. Would have a limited driver's license to get to work, etc.

He should do time for this. Drinking and driving? Really? Fleeing the scene? I'd knock him out if I ever saw him on the street

lol. If he got pulled over in the US he would've been at the legal limit.. So

Last edited:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
surprised to see how many fans think he'll be booted off the team and have his contract thrown out.

The guy is a professional athlete who makes millions of dollars.

Why is everyone forgetting how these guys get off of everything scott-free???

He'll have his charges dropped or at least reduced, and do a few weeks community service.

That's how the law rolls when it comes to athletes - corrupted as ever

That's actually pretty much how it goes for everyone in Ontario for a first offense of this nature. But I am sure when it comes out you will still talk about how corrupt the law is with regard to athletes despite more than likely being treated as anyone would in this case.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
You see, I really don't approve of your line of thinking. Here's why, I lost a close aunt to a texting 22 year old. I don't believe I take that lightly, but I don't believe the young lady, who knew it was against the law, should be banished and shunned by society for the rest of her life.

My parents owned a bar, saw plenty of gheyood people make similar mistakes, they knew better to. Doesn't make them morons, bags, scrum or evil. It makes them human.

I didn't say anything about texting which I too think is a B.S. act and should warrant stiffer penalties but think that is fair to mention in regards to your post. As for your parents owning a bar etc I was a bartender for a few years at a very popular bar in Los Angeles and saw more than my fair share of drunks
but that doesn't make drinking and driving anyone more of a simple mistake then any other criminal act done by a first time offender under certain circumstances.

What RoR did (same goes with any other drunk driver) is the same thing as walking into a big room with lots of people in it but on a blindfold pull out a loaded gun and start spinning around firing it. He took a vehicle that weighs a couple of tons while he was drunk and drove it around where he could easily have killed an innocent bystander or more. Simply because any single one of us can find means to justify his actions doesn't excuse the potential outcome. That saying "he could have killed someone" is there for a reason and it applies perfectly with RoR's situation. He further complicated things by leaving the scene which is another cowardly act.

What RoR did was very very serious and shouldn't be downplayed simply because it used to be alright or a family member owned a bar etc. This is a situation where RoR is lucky to not have killed someone. He is a first offender and while his crime is severe it shouldn't cost him his lively hood it should be strong enough to send a message that shows his behavior won't be tolerated under any circumstances. Before the NHL allows him to return to play he should be made to undergo a driving safety course as well as have to complete the league mandated drug/alcohol rehabilitation program as listed in the NHLPA. After that all of the best RoR and here is to your return to what looks like a promising young career. Forgiveness for his crimes and that is that. With the exception being that if he gets a 2nd "DUI" that he be suspended for a year and be made to attend a more serious rehabilitation program.

I know what I propose may be soft but that is pretty much what anyone else would have to go through for doing the same thing. I believe that what RoR is as severe as any other NHL player who has convicted a crime over the past couple of years but since it is a first offense I believe that patience and guidance are more important then severe punishment.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I didn't say anything about texting which I too think is a B.S. act and should warrant stiffer penalties but think that is fair to mention in regards to your post. As for your parents owning a bar etc I was a bartender for a few years at a very popular bar in Los Angeles and saw more than my fair share of drunks
but that doesn't make drinking and driving anyone more of a simple mistake then any other criminal act done by a first time offender under certain circumstances.

What RoR did (same goes with any other drunk driver) is the same thing as walking into a big room with lots of people in it but on a blindfold pull out a loaded gun and start spinning around firing it. He took a vehicle that weighs a couple of tons while he was drunk and drove it around where he could easily have killed an innocent bystander or more. Simply because any single one of us can find means to justify his actions doesn't excuse the potential outcome. That saying "he could have killed someone" is there for a reason and it applies perfectly with RoR's situation. He further complicated things by leaving the scene which is another cowardly act.

What RoR did was very very serious and shouldn't be downplayed simply because it used to be alright or a family member owned a bar etc. This is a situation where RoR is lucky to not have killed someone. He is a first offender and while his crime is severe it shouldn't cost him his lively hood it should be strong enough to send a message that shows his behavior won't be tolerated under any circumstances. Before the NHL allows him to return to play he should be made to undergo a driving safety course as well as have to complete the league mandated drug/alcohol rehabilitation program as listed in the NHLPA. After that all of the best RoR and here is to your return to what looks like a promising young career. Forgiveness for his crimes and that is that. With the exception being that if he gets a 2nd "DUI" that he be suspended for a year and be made to attend a more serious rehabilitation program.

I know what I propose may be soft but that is pretty much what anyone else would have to go through for doing the same thing. I believe that what RoR is as severe as any other NHL player who has convicted a crime over the past couple of years but since it is a first offense I believe that patience and guidance are more important then severe punishment.

Are you kidding me..

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Wow. High horses aplenty.

Yep. Reminds me of:

BlackEyedKids.jpg

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I thought it was pretty well understood that that the good young hockey player was circumstantially superior to those in the NBA and NFL. How many NHL players grew up in poverty?

One consequence of the world taking notice of what was happening in the NFL and NBA is that people who were typically insulated from scrutiny start losing that scrutiny. It seems to me that this is happening to a certain extent. I'm not sure there's anything much deeper going on, though.

Certainly, the issue of social inequality – and here we teeter on the edge of an uncomfortable discussion on race – is a factor, but I was trying to put across the point that the good boy / bad boy gulf is just not as cut and dried as I believe it has been viewed historically.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
What RoR did (same goes with any other drunk driver) is the same thing as walking into a big room with lots of people in it but on a blindfold pull out a loaded gun and start spinning around firing it.

Yeah, no, it's not. :laugh:

It's also not the same thing as using a random number generator to launch nuclear ICBMs at random places around the globe.

This situation shouldn't be downplayed, but it shouldn't be grossly exaggerated either.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Are you kidding me..

So driving drunk isn't as dangerous? You have to be kidding me. Anyone who gets drunk and drives is taking the lives of everyone they see and several that they may not into their hands. It happens every day and several times at that. Drunk driving is one of the most extremely dangerous things that happen in public in our society. I can't understand why anyone would think otherwise. But I can understand someone not liking my analogy so if mine is flawed pose your own.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Yeah, no, it's not. :laugh:

It's also not the same thing as using a random number generator to launch nuclear ICBMs at random places around the globe.

This situation shouldn't be downplayed, but it shouldn't be grossly exaggerated either.

So help me out, give me an acceptable analogy. Remember that thousands of people are killed each year by drunken drivers and then fire away.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
DOES ANYONE have a credible source to quote what his blood alch level was, some people keep saying .05 but I haven't found any evidence of that.

This wouldn't be so scummy and be getting the reaction it is if he didnt flee the scene after.

You play stupid games and you will win stupid prizes.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
So help me out, give me an acceptable analogy. Remember that thousands of people are killed each year by drunken drivers and then fire away.

Why do you even need an analogy? It's like being dumb and getting behind the wheel drunk.

If you want a proper analogy, you need to the probability and severity of an incident. Just to start, you'll want an approximation on the number of times anyone drives drunk per year and the number of deaths and injuries (both minor and severe) per year.

Then, you need to find something that produces similar results in terms of incidents per occurrence, deaths per incident, and injuries per incident.

Just a heads up, though: the math won't come out nearly as bad as unloading blindfolded on a room with "lots of people".

If you want to make a point, use numbers. Don't use wild, unrealistic, and statistically dissimilar analogies.

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
DOES ANYONE have a credible source to quote what his blood alch level was, some people keep saying .05 but I haven't found any evidence of that.

This wouldn't be so scummy and be getting the reaction it is if he didnt flee the scene after.

You play stupid games and you will win stupid prizes.

Given that the charge was for drving while impaired with a blood alcohol content over .08, I'd say that .05 number is not credible at all.

From the original article "OPP announced Monday that O’Reilly, 24, from Bluewater, Ont., had been charged with driving a motor vehicle while ability impaired (alcohol) and care or control over 80 mgs."

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Does anyone really believe this is an isolated incident? Do you believe this is the first time he's driven while impaired, or simply the first time he's been caught driving while impaired?

I'd say the latter is much more likely than the former.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Does anyone really believe this is an isolated incident? Do you believe this is the first time he's driven while impaired, or simply the first time he's been caught driving while impaired?

Bingo

And for all the people defending this ahole or excusing drinking and driving as not that bad try going to a funeral for a friend killed drinking and driving, actually try going to 3 funerals for people who's lives were lost and families destroyed by it and see if you'll still have your smug it's not that bad attitude, wake the **** up or GTFO cause dollars to donuts you drink and drive yourself

Russian Roulette in a crowded room is exactly what it is like

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY

Probably. But there's also probably a large number of athletes who drive while impaired who have never gotten caught or have but it's been swept under the rug.

Let's just hope since he was caught, he will be one to change his ways.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Bingo

And for all the people defending this ahole or excusing drinking and driving as not that bad try going to a funeral for a friend killed drinking and driving, actually try going to 3 funerals for people who's lives were lost and families destroyed by it and see if you'll still have your smug it's not that bad attitude, wake the **** up or GTFO cause dollars to donuts you drink and drive yourself

Russian Roulette in crowded is exactly what it is like
Yup. I live in Vegas and this city is practically fueled by alcohol. I've known too many people injured or killed by drunk drivers. It's unacceptable behavior plain and simple.

And the apologists in this thread saying it was a mistake or saying people like us are on high horses are really showing their character defending this type of behavior.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
what in gods name are you blathering on about?

there really is no need to play devils advocate.

driving drunk is stupid and dangerous.

No one said it wasn't. He contended that because someone did something, intent has been demonstrated. Seems to fly in the face of law. If one can get away with murder because they weren't of sound judgement, can you say that someone who has taken something known to affect your brain and decision making has "intent"?

All kinds of drunk people have no idea what they are doing. Doesn't excuse it or lessen it. Just seems odd to attach "intent" to something when their brain isn't all there. Of course in his case what he did after would lead you more down the road of where his level of thought was but to simply say "he did it therefore he intended to" seems a touch elementary.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
So driving drunk isn't as dangerous? You have to be kidding me. Anyone who gets drunk and drives is taking the lives of everyone they see and several that they may not into their hands. It happens every day and several times at that. Drunk driving is one of the most extremely dangerous things that happen in public in our society. I can't understand why anyone would think otherwise. But I can understand someone not liking my analogy so if mine is flawed pose your own.

He was a .08, not a .30. NOT excusing it whatsoever, but he just above the legal limit, likely had no more than a couple beers. Your outrageous analogy suggests he took 13 shots of vodka and drove the wrong way down a busy highway. Much more likely he simply hit the gas instead of the brake when pulling in, or thought he was in reverse when pulling out but was in drive; mistakes you often see made by sober people. He clearly did not go flying off the road into the shop. I still think he is an idiot for this but as long as he owns it and moves on incident free, I am not going to give a **** in 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad