Ryan Nugent-Hopkins vs Jordan Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Nugent-Hopkins had the lowest shot percentage of his career last year. Say he gets traded and his O-zone starts get bumped back up to his rookie year levels (63%) and produces at his rookie yea pace, is he then considered better?

No because Staal is almost constantly shelled with Dzone starts is a monster in every defensive metrics (not just possession) and generates more scoring chances despite sometimes being known as a one dimensional defensive forward.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
In a #1C role? I think RNH may be more effective with the offensive zone starts and favorable home ice matchups (if either of these guys are your #1C you're not winning anything.)

as a 2/3C Staal easily

If I have no clue who is on my roster and I just have to pick one I would go with Staal

Reactions: Conbon

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Seems like a weird thread to revive but yeah it’s easily RNH at this point

I started reading the responses and was like WT... ? ... then noticed the dates. Yeah... I know it's frowned upon for some reason, but I like some of these bumped threads when you can look back to see how wrong people were/are.

I even bumped a thread last year, when at the beginning of the year I said Giordano was done, then by the end of the year he was Norris worthy. I called myself out for being so wrong. :dunce:

... little did I know I was only one year premature in my prediction. ;)

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Career to date: Jordan Staal, Pittsburgh does not win the Cup in 2009 without him.

Currently: Jordan Staal, very well rounded center that has shown excellent leadership qualities.

Future: Jordan Staal, do you really expect RNH to improve or perhaps expect Staal to regress faster than Nuge has?

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
Huh? With the last 3 seasons combined Nuge has a .85 PPG. He has 77 more points than Staal over the past 3 years. f*** your leadership.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Staal is better as a shutdown center, RNH has the higher offensive game.

God damn it. What's with these necro bumps? I thought this was a new thread.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
RNH is a jack knife and a better scorer, but I'd still take Staal. He's a hard-match center that allows a much smaller Aho to excel.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I started reading the responses and was like WT... ? ... then noticed the dates. Yeah... I know it's frowned upon for some reason, but I like some of these bumped threads when you can look back to see how wrong people were/are.

I even bumped a thread last year, when at the beginning of the year I said Giordano was done, then by the end of the year he was Norris worthy. I called myself out for being so wrong. :dunce:

I think it's a nice reminder not to write off young players so soon. Seems the majority, including myself, thought RNH had hit his offensive peak which in hindsight is ridiculous since he'd already shown higher upside.

Reactions: zar and Sweetpotato

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Career to date: Jordan Staal, Pittsburgh does not win the Cup in 2009 without him.

Currently: Jordan Staal, very well rounded center that has shown excellent leadership qualities.

Future: Jordan Staal, do you really expect RNH to improve or perhaps expect Staal to regress faster than Nuge has?
Neither needs to improve nor regress to convince me RNH is better.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don't see what's wrong about it. It was asking who was better at the time, and at the time Jordan was a dominant possession player and shutdown presence whose production was similar. Their production has since gone in opposite directions, but that wasn't the question.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

What the f*** did I just read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad