OT: Ryan Nugent HOpkins gets new contract 42 Mill/7 years

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I understand why they did it, and someday this could be a very good contract, but those Oiler fans who think this is a low risk deal are out of their minds. He's got injury concerns and wasn't very good last year.

Next year the Oilers will be paying 18 million for a top line of Hall-RNH-Eberle, that's almost 2 million more than the Kings top line of Brown-Kopi-Williams will be making

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Oilers over the last few years have reminded me of a person who has learned to perform a task, but has no understanding of what it is he's doing, so the end product is lacking. In this case, it is a group of people who have studied other organizations in an effort to learn how to build a franchise from within. Every move they make, no matter how logical it appears to be on the surface, just feels off. Like actors trying to read from a script in a foreign language and getting all the inflections wrong.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Stuggled last year, but obviously he's young and has tons of skill. I think he'll bounce back and that contract will be about right value wise in a season or two.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's like Kopitar's 2nd contract with the Kings.

The problem for the Oilers is that they have too many forwards that have contracts like Kopitar's 2nd contract with the Kings, and not every one of those players is going to turn out to be worth it.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
It's like Kopitar's 2nd contract with the Kings.

The problem for the Oilers is that they have too many forwards that have contracts like Kopitar's 2nd contract with the Kings, and not every one of those players is going to turn out to be worth it.

Two major differences:

1) Kopitar didn't regress/have a sophmore slump in his second season
2) Kopitar didn't miss almost a quarter of the games in his first two seasons due to injury

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
That contract will make it hard to trade him when the Oilers finally wake up and realize they need a good defenseman and can't just win with forwards.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That contract will make it hard to trade him when the Oilers finally wake up and realize they need a good defenseman and can't just win with forwards.

I don't think they'll regret it. Sure, he had a disappointing sophomore year, but as a rookie he netted 52 points in 62 games. That's pretty damn impressive. He'll be fine. They need a veteran dman similar to what they had in Chris Pronger when they reached the Finals.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't think they'll regret it. Sure, he had a disappointing sophomore year, but as a rookie he netted 52 points in 62 games. That's pretty damn impressive. He'll be fine. They need a veteran dman similar to what they had in Chris Pronger when they reached the Finals.

I agree, that he was impressive. We'll see how far he has come though, because this year he's going to get a heaping helping of Kopitar, Thornton, Getzlaf, and Hanzal in his face a lot of nights.

Monarchist

Dec 27, 2010
Oilers over the last few years have reminded me of a person who has learned to perform a task, but has no understanding of what it is he's doing, so the end product is lacking. In this case, it is a group of people who have studied other organizations in an effort to learn how to build a franchise from within. Every move they make, no matter how logical it appears to be on the surface, just feels off. Like actors trying to read from a script in a foreign language and getting all the inflections wrong.

Great post.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
DL would have had him signed for two years at $4 million per. Bridge contract, which is certainly deserved after last season.

djspock92

Jul 30, 2013
DL would have had him signed for two years at $4 million per. Bridge contract, which is certainly deserved after last season.
When was the last time DL signed a top 6 forward or a top 4 defenseman to a bridge contract?

KingKopitar11*

When was the last time DL signed a top 6 forward or a top 4 defenseman to a bridge contract?

There's a difference most of the players that he didn't give a bridge to didn't have sophomore slumps and bad injuries. That's why he needed a bridge contract for a player with the history of rnh

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Which probably means having to trade one of their top wingers to do it. There's NOBODY even close to Pronger caliber in their org. In 10 years, it will be an interesting case study as to how they built the team around forwards and whether or not it worked out.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com

ya, DL's done some bridge contracts. I think you can consider JJ, Bernier, Muzzin, Quick, Cammalleri & o'sullivan as some? Those were the only ones I could think of. I think when it comes to "ruining the NHL", DL is among the worst with dishing out big contracts to players straight out of ELC. But he's been spot on with them so far. But it definitely ups the demand for them by kids.

Doughty, Kopitar, and Quick contracts were used as standards by many players following their signings.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Or the contract could make it easier to trade him if he turns into a 70+ center. You're locked into $6 million for a while no matter how good he gets.

The Oilers have to spend money somewhere. Edmonton will never be a free agent destination. If they spend the money on the young guys they draft, that's a good idea.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
ya, DL's done some bridge contracts. I think you can consider JJ, Bernier, Muzzin, Quick, Cammalleri & o'sullivan as some? Those were the only ones I could think of. I think when it comes to "ruining the NHL", DL is among the worst with dishing out big contracts to players straight out of ELC. But he's been spot on with them so far. But it definitely ups the demand for them by kids.

Doughty, Kopitar, and Quick contracts were used as standards by many players following their signings.

Quick had a bridge contract.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
I'm sure Oilers fans are happy they've locked in their core for so many years but how good is that core?

Last year the group finally had some expectations after the way they all lit up the AHL but once the NHL came back reality set in and they finish near the bottom of the league once again.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Multiple times, as KingPurpleDinosaur stated. In a situation where a player regressed or suffered an injury or just wasn't showing the level of success that was expected, a bridge deal was done. JMFJ was a good example. After the bridge was done, DL signed him long-term when he proved he was more valueable. Same with O'Sullivan and Quick. Imagine if DL had signed O'Sullivan to a six year deal? We'd still be saddled with that.

It's why you do bridge deals.

DL wasn't the first GM to hand out those contracts. He just followed suit with the rest of the league.

And right now they all seem to be a good bang for the buck, generally speaking.

Yeah, a bridge to next decade......

He meant the contract Quick just came off of, not the new 10 year deal.

After his ELC, Quick signed a three-year deal worth $1.8 mill cap hit. That was the bridge deal.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I'm sure Oilers fans are happy they've locked in their core for so many years but how good is that core?

Last year the group finally had some expectations after the way they all lit up the AHL but once the NHL came back reality set in and they finish near the bottom of the league once again.

If Dubnyk isn't the real deal they can sign all the forwards they want, you win in the NHL with good goaltending.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Hyphenated names are ridiculous, especially in hockey play-by-play.
His dad's last name is Hopkins.
Henceforce, he's Ryan Hopkins to me.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?
Give me a break.

Captain Mittens*

Give me a break.
235_profile_img1_kitkat3.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad