Prospect Info: Ryan Kujawinski

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If you don't mind hearing the opinion of an "outsider", Kujawinski is a guy I've seen play extensively as he plays for my home town's junior club.

Coming into this season, I had high hopes for Ryan. He was outstanding as a 16 year old last year, both in terms of his scoring touch and his two-way play. And he was MONEY in the faceoff dot, winning easily 65 to 70% of his draws (no exaggeration, he was literally winning draws with the frequency that Patrice Bergeron wins them at). I'd thought he had the potential to be a first round pick, with an Eric Staal-lite upside.

Unfortunately, this season just wasn't kind to Kujawinski. He just never seemed to get on track, and struggled out of the gate to put the puck in the net. It didn't help that he didn't seem to have any chemistry with his linemates until late December, when he was put on a line with Henri Ikonen and Sam Povorozniouk. At the time, Kujawinski had something like 5 goals in 30 games. In the 10 or so games that line played together, Kujawinski scored 5 goals.

But one thing seemed to be missing from his game, and that was consistency. Not just in terms of effort, but in terms of going to the areas of the ice he went to as a 16 year old to find success. If he can find that consistency, I think the Devils got a steal. Kujawinski definitely has first round tools -- good size, good hockey sense, good shot, decent wheels -- but the question will be if he can put them together on a consistent basis.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
If you don't mind hearing the opinion of an "outsider", Kujawinski is a guy I've seen play extensively as he plays for my home town's junior club.

Coming into this season, I had high hopes for Ryan. He was outstanding as a 16 year old last year, both in terms of his scoring touch and his two-way play. And he was MONEY in the faceoff dot, winning easily 65 to 70% of his draws (no exaggeration, he was literally winning draws with the frequency that Patrice Bergeron wins them at). I'd thought he had the potential to be a first round pick, with an Eric Staal-lite upside.

Unfortunately, this season just wasn't kind to Kujawinski. He just never seemed to get on track, and struggled out of the gate to put the puck in the net. It didn't help that he didn't seem to have any chemistry with his linemates until late December, when he was put on a line with Henri Ikonen and Sam Povorozniouk. At the time, Kujawinski had something like 5 goals in 30 games. In the 10 or so games that line played together, Kujawinski scored 5 goals.

But one thing seemed to be missing from his game, and that was consistency. Not just in terms of effort, but in terms of going to the areas of the ice he went to as a 16 year old to find success. If he can find that consistency, I think the Devils got a steal. Kujawinski definitely has first round tools -- good size, good hockey sense, good shot, decent wheels -- but the question will be if he can put them together on a consistent basis.
Nice, thanks for the input. He's a project.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Just putting it out there.
Yeah, and it's good to have, but I think the disclaimer is warranted. I like the pick, but if we hadn't gotten the pick for nothing I'd probably hate the pick. I don't like to see inconsistency, vanishes for long stretches on a scouting report.

Gilmour likes him though, so he's got that in his favor.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I don't know if he will be like Kovy but he sure reminds me of him when he celebrates scoring a goal.

:laugh: Was just going to post the same thing. With the number and the celebrations, it looks like he may style himself after Kovy.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That critique was from last November too when Buttons had him ranked 29th. He dropped him to 75th since then. Wonder why he slid so much.

Had a somewhat disappointing season, but Kingston hasn't been a particularly great in recent years. Finished up the 2011-12 season with 30 points in 30 games for Kingston, so there was probably some hope/expectation that he'd keep up that level of production this year.

He was expected to go somewhere in this range. John Hayden, who went with the next pick, maybe seemed like more of a Lou selection (safer 3rd line type). Pavel Buchnevich and Jimmy Lodge were the highest left on my armchair GM list.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Yeah, and it's good to have, but I think the disclaimer is warranted. I like the pick, but if we hadn't gotten the pick for nothing I'd probably hate the pick. I don't like to see inconsistency, vanishes for long stretches on a scouting report.

Gilmour likes him though, so he's got that in his favor.

I think I'd like it even if it was our own third rounder. Taking a boom/bust type in the third is usually not a bad idea. He'll be a bit of a project, but if there's a team that can develop him to play with consistency, it's the Devils. He'll spend a couple years in Albany at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad