Ryan Johansen

Dogkota

Mar 27, 2009
Ryan Johansen is 2 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 9 hours, 16 minutes and 26 seconds away from being completely NHL ready.

As for how good he can be, most would suggest that he could range anywhere from an ineffective injury case to an exceptional point-producing #1 center similar to Joe Thornton.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
He's 2-3 years away. Rest of his junior eligibility and maybe at least a year of pro. He'll have to prove he can continue to get better, as he was a serious riser in this draft. I don't see anything more than a solid no. 2 center/winger however.

GParros*

Sixteen to twenty, and he'll only be called up to serve as a "veterance presence."

But I attend 5-10 Winterhawks games per year, so I'll let you know if my opinion changes.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
...?

Did I just stumble onto a video game message board? How about a serious response instead of sarcasm?

I'll give you one.

Ryan Johansen is definitely 2-3 years from being NHL ready, at least. Columbus should allow him time to develop his game in every aspect, and he should be considered a project player at this point.

Johansen has the potential to be a top-line forward. His skillset has been compared to names like Jason Spezza, Ryan Getzlaf, and the aforementioned Joe Thornton. There's a great writeup on him here:

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/11-ryan-johansen-2010-scouting-report/

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He's 2-3 years away. Rest of his junior eligibility and maybe at least a year of pro. He'll have to prove he can continue to get better, as he was a serious riser in this draft. I don't see anything more than a solid no. 2 center/winger however.

Obviously Colombus saw this diffrent because they wouldn't waste the 4th overall pick on a future "second liner"

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
He sure is riding a lot of momentum.

Sounds familiar.

Obviously Colombus saw this diffrent because they wouldn't waste the 4th overall pick on a future "second liner"

Not every player drafted in the top-10 projects as a first-liner. Obviously Columbus liked his skill set, but at this point he's got a lot to prove regardless of where he was picked. We've got to remember he was taken much higher than was projected in the first place.

GParros*

...?

Did I just stumble onto a video game message board? How about a serious response instead of sarcasm?

I'll give you one.

Ryan Johansen is definitely 2-3 years from being NHL ready, at least. Columbus should allow him time to develop his game in every aspect, and he should be considered a project player at this point.

Johansen has the potential to be a top-line forward. His skillset has been compared to names like Jason Spezza, Ryan Getzlaf, and the aforementioned Joe Thornton. There's a great writeup on him here:

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/11-ryan-johansen-2010-scouting-report/

The responses are sarcastic because it's impossible to tell with any inkling of certanity when a guy will be "NHL ready" if he isn't already. It's black and white: either a player is ready or he's not (and even that is incredibly speculative in 99% of cases). No one can accurately predict development time, so why bother trying? It certainly isn't quantifiable in years.

It's akin to threads the day after the draft asking which players were "steals." How can you know who's a steal among a group of kids who have never played an NHL game? You're a "steal" if your NHL production out-shines your draft position; that's obviously impossible to gauge the day after you're drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad