Ryan Johansen

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Could i get a scouting report on this kid? He is one guy that the Avs have a potential shot at drafting if he goes in the 20's. From what I have seen he is a big skilled forward who shoot's right handed and skates quite good.

I've never seen him play live, but from what I have seen of him he reminds me a bit of Getzlaf.

OILNATION*

I've seen him play a few times and from what I can see he is an average skater who plays the game real smart. I think his physicality needs a little work, he also tends to play on the outside a lot and needs to get dirty a little more. But his work ethic is great and he has a wicked slap shot from the point.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Good solid two way center with good size and some decent offensive skills. Makes a solid pass could be more physical.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Good solid two way center with good size and some decent offensive skills. Makes a solid pass could be more physical.

That's what I am wondering most. He is a big kid, and I wanted to know if he uses his size at all. From the footage I have seen of him he can score a highlight reel goal or two, so that's good to hear that he is a two way player as well.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
From watching him, he really seems to have a pass-first mentality right now (his favorite player is Thornton, I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing). Always looking to set-up and feed Niederreiter and Ross who play on his line. Solid at both ends of the ice. He has a good shot but I don't think he has complete confidence in it, it will come in time because he still has two years left in junior and will start to realize it as a weapon more.

Reminds me a lot of Dave Bolland in terms of a NHL comparable, he has the potential for a mini-breakout in terms of points next season with most of the Winterhawk core turning only 18 next year (Rutkowski, Rattie+Ross and Nino).

He is really skinny still and will need to bulk up to compete at NHL level (like most prospects).

You're an Avalanche fan though, don't you guys have enough good centres? Save some for the rest of the league and stop worrying about a guy like Johansen haha.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
From watching him, he really seems to have a pass-first mentality right now (his favorite player is Thornton, I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing). Always looking to set-up and feed Niederreiter and Ross who play on his line. Solid at both ends of the ice. He has a good shot but I don't think he has complete confidence in it, it will come in time because he still has two years left in junior and will start to realize it as a weapon more.

Reminds me a lot of Dave Bolland in terms of a NHL comparable, he has the potential for a mini-breakout in terms of points next season with most of the Winterhawk core turning only 18 next year (Rutkowski, Rattie+Ross and Nino).

He is really skinny still and will need to bulk up to compete at NHL level (like most prospects).

You're an Avalanche fan though, don't you guys have enough good centres? Save some for the rest of the league and stop worrying about a guy like Johansen haha.

Yeah, fair enough. But you can never have enough talent up front. Our deepest prospect area is on D, so I doubt we take one in the first round (unless it's a total shutdown guy).

We need a goalie really badly, but unless we take Campbell, it will likely be a forward in the first round. Plus, in the first round I think it's always better to take the best player available, rather than worrying if he is a LW, C or RW.

Madic

May 21, 2008
It's always funny to see where these playmaker-first guys go. Every person who talks with authority on him says "Great passer. Passes alot. Passpasspass."

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Could i get a scouting report on this kid? He is one guy that the Avs have a potential shot at drafting if he goes in the 20's. From what I have seen he is a big skilled forward who shoot's right handed and skates quite good.

I've never seen him play live, but from what I have seen of him he reminds me a bit of Getzlaf.

Here's a quick hit on him from one of Red Line Report's WHL scouts from an interview I did late last month. Pretty current and you may find something of interest there.

http://bruins2010draftwatch.blogspot.com/2010/02/whl-roundup-with-red-line-report-whl_28.html

Ryan Johansen, C Portland Winterhawks; 6-2, 188 31 Jul 92 (34th overall)

It all started for him last year in Penticton, when he really started to figure it out late in the season and played his way up to the second line and then was the Vees' best forward in the playoffs.

He may have had a late growth spurt, too, because at the beginning of this year, his stride was a little awkward and at times, he seemed a little off-balance, but I don't see any of that from him these days. Now, he's turning up the dynamic side of his game. He's made some fantastic rushes of late-- the solo part of his game has taken off and he's shooting the puck more now and doing things that he wasn't doing at the beginning of the year. He was always good at taking hits to make the play, but he wouldn't throw a hit or initiate contact much. Now, he's going into the corners more and not only throwing big hits, but coming out with the puck a lot. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the playoffs.

He's big, broad shouldered with a lot of room to fill out, and has fantastic passing ability. In the first half, I saw him as maybe a 15-goal, 60-assist guy in the NHL, but in the second half, he's been shooting the puck more, so he might project even better offensively. There's a lot to like about him, especially if he keeps progressing like he has. -MR

Here's part 1 if you want to read about the top guys from the WHL in Red Line's view:

http://bruins2010draftwatch.blogspot.com/2010/02/whl-roundup-with-red-line-report-whl.html

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
I think he'll start up when the season is over and he has more time.

He's on the road so much, and I believe that he's likely waiting to have a final read after the WHL, BCHL seasons, playoffs and then the U-18s are done to weigh in with where he sees everyone going into the draft.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Here's a quick hit on him from one of Red Line Report's WHL scouts from an interview I did late last month. Pretty current and you may find something of interest there.

http://bruins2010draftwatch.blogspot.com/2010/02/whl-roundup-with-red-line-report-whl_28.html

Ryan Johansen, C Portland Winterhawks; 6-2, 188 31 Jul 92 (34th overall)

It all started for him last year in Penticton, when he really started to figure it out late in the season and played his way up to the second line and then was the Vees' best forward in the playoffs.

He may have had a late growth spurt, too, because at the beginning of this year, his stride was a little awkward and at times, he seemed a little off-balance, but I don't see any of that from him these days. Now, he's turning up the dynamic side of his game. He's made some fantastic rushes of late-- the solo part of his game has taken off and he's shooting the puck more now and doing things that he wasn't doing at the beginning of the year. He was always good at taking hits to make the play, but he wouldn't throw a hit or initiate contact much. Now, he's going into the corners more and not only throwing big hits, but coming out with the puck a lot. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the playoffs.

He's big, broad shouldered with a lot of room to fill out, and has fantastic passing ability. In the first half, I saw him as maybe a 15-goal, 60-assist guy in the NHL, but in the second half, he's been shooting the puck more, so he might project even better offensively. There's a lot to like about him, especially if he keeps progressing like he has. -MR

Here's part 1 if you want to read about the top guys from the WHL in Red Line's view:

http://bruins2010draftwatch.blogspot.com/2010/02/whl-roundup-with-red-line-report-whl.html

THANKS! :yo:

This kid may be one of my favorites of this draft year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
You're welcome. Stick with the blog, because I've already talked to Nino Niederreiter and have Johansen lined up soon, so there will be a Q & A with him at some point.

Cool. Really enjoyed reading everyone you said and it will be cool to look back once the Avs select in round one.

I will favorite it once i get home from work.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
After seeing the Spezza end to ender tonight it really reminded me of a few of the video's I have seen of Johansen this year.

The two look very very similar when they skate and handle the puck. Obviously Johansen won't have the top end playmaking skills as Jason does, but do you think that is a fair comparison? Almost like a mini-Spezza?

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Poor mans Joe Thornton. Big, smooth skater. Great passing skills, great puck management and great puck protection. My first impression of Johansen was that he keeps possessions alive by shielding the puck well when pressured. He makes some mistakes defensively and he may get a little over confident at times and make "optimistic" passes but when he turns up the intensity he is very effective.

Probably needs a linemate who can clear out space, he mentioned in an interview about Brad Ross that Ross's ability to create time and space for him is why he's been able to be so effective.

arsmaster*

Kid has stepped his game up to another level in the post season.

I think he is outshining his uber-hyped linemate, Nino.

I see him creeping into the top 15 now.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
What are his flaws? How is his finishing ability and skating

from just reading all the scouting reports on him, his stats and his size he should be a shoo-in to go top 15, imo

Colin Black

Cut back, Smokey!
Jun 24, 2009
Washington State
I saw the Winterhawks a lot this year, and I think he's just as good as Niederreiter.

I like Brad Ross too.He's a pest who outshone Kyle Beach in trolling abilities at points during the year.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Ryan Johansen impressed me most with his escapability. The best way for me to describe that is that he seems like he's slippery when he's on the ice; he comes in at one speed, makes a short move, picks another gear and cruises right by. Changes of speed might be the most difficult thing to defend, and Johansen does it as good as anybody I've seen.

When the Hawks came into their playoff series against the Chiefs, I obviously knew they all about the "big four", Johansen is the one that surprised me the most - I expected Niederreiter to put up points the way he did, Ross to be a super pest, and Rutkowski to be a slick defenseman, but I didn't expect Johansen to be as good as he was. He was an integral part of that series, for sure.

arsmaster*

More of a Thornton than a Getzlaf.

Getzlaf has an absolute bomb.

Johansen is a slick playmaker with a large frame....I guess Getzlaf is a pass first guy too, but he shouldnt be.

Johansen doesnt initiate contact like Getz either, I see a Thornton type and thats not a bad thing. He just doesnt have the mean streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad