Value of: Ryan Johansen to Buffalo

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
In the 2C to Buffalo thread, the value for a RyJo trade which Nashville fans seemed in agreement on was...

Mittlestadt + Miller

Curious to see if that's a consensus among Nashville fans or if it was just the 2 guys in that thread who were mostly focused on trying to get Buffalo to trade for Turris instead of RyJo. I understand if the value isn't there. I'm curious what would need to be added or swapped to make it happen. Throw in a 2nd rounder next year? Montour instead of Miller? Etc.

Nashville makes the trade to clear major cap moving on from ryjo who is a little redundant and more than disappointing considering his cost right now. And fill a hole on right defense in the short term. Mitts, despite his early disappointments, still holds value as a trade chip if Nashville is looking to flip him or you can stash him as a rehab project, chances are, any even half competent organization can develop him into a good player.

Why Buffalo makes this trade - At the risk of taking on $8x5 RyJo, it fills a gaping hole at 2c in the line up with a proven player when there are no players in the organization who look ready to fill that spot in the next 1 to 2 seasons. Buffalo goes from a 1 line team to a 2 line team with this move. It's the kind of move that could lead to wild card contention next season. This team needs to round the corner eventually and these kids desperately need to start learning to win. No better time than next season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What did the Preds give up for RJ? Why would they expect anything less in return for him now?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Montour instead of Miller is definitely much more appealing but I feel like Sabres wouldn't do it. We need defensive depth so Miller would be nice to put on our bottom pair and Mittelstadt is a very interesting prospect (something we desperately lack) if he can bounce back. A 2nd rounder being thrown in would be ideal.

Obviously we'd much rather get rid of Turris but this team does need to be retooled and Johansen has a good amount of value to help with that. I'd consider this.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Montour instead of Miller is definitely much more appealing but I feel like Sabres wouldn't do it. We need defensive depth so Miller would be nice to put on our bottom pair and Mittelstadt is a very interesting prospect (something we desperately lack) if he can bounce back.

Obviously we'd much rather get rid of Turris but this team does need to be retooled and Johansen has a good amount of value to help with that. I'd consider this.
Sabres have to stop trading away their young guys.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Term and amount on Johansen's contract, combined with the slide in his play would give me serious pause before pulling a full cap value deal.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In the 2C to Buffalo thread, the value for a RyJo trade which Nashville fans seemed in agreement on was...

Mittlestadt + Miller

Curious to see if that's a consensus among Nashville fans or if it was just the 2 guys in that thread who were mostly focused on trying to get Buffalo to trade for Turris instead of RyJo. I understand if the value isn't there. I'm curious what would need to be added or swapped to make it happen. Throw in a 2nd rounder next year? Montour instead of Miller? Etc.

Nashville makes the trade to clear major cap moving on from ryjo who is a little redundant and more than disappointing considering his cost right now. And fill a hole on right defense in the short term. Mitts, despite his early disappointments, still holds value as a trade chip if Nashville is looking to flip him or you can stash him as a rehab project, chances are, any even half competent organization can develop him into a good player.

Why Buffalo makes this trade - At the risk of taking on $8x5 RyJo, it fills a gaping hole at 2c in the line up with a proven player when there are no players in the organization who look ready to fill that spot in the next 1 to 2 seasons. Buffalo goes from a 1 line team to a 2 line team with this move. It's the kind of move that could lead to wild card contention next season. This team needs to round the corner eventually and these kids desperately need to start learning to win. No better time than next season.
I think it was a good framework to at least consider and build on. It's certainly not a deal I would make today, however.

Johansen can be a frustrating player at times, but he can also be very rewarding when he is playing in top gear. I am not convinced Mittlestadt has the same upside... to me, he projects as more of a Turris-like player if he pans out. We do need some help on RD. But again, Miller would not be my first choice.

As Nashville GM, here's what I have to do first:

1) See what my trade options are for Turris. Turris could be a decent back-fill if we did trade Johansen. I do believe he could post nearly identical offense for us if we gave him the same icetime and linemates. But our team already lacks size and physicality, and Turris can't replace those parts of Johansen's package. Ultimately, I'd rather have Johansen than Turris. That said, there may be no takers for Turris. I have to see all the offers on the table for both of them to weigh the cost/benefit of trading one of them.

2) See what my other options are for landing a bottom pair D. It doesn't have to be immediate either. I think Nashville should prioritize signing one solid physical UFA defenseman on July 1st. If that can be accomplished, there is no need to trade for Miller, whose prime attributes aren't best-aligned with what we need anyway.

So we are not looking at a trade in the immediate future either way. Turris for Bogosian, ok, that's a more immediate option. Johansen for a package... not until after the free agency period is over - by which team either or both team might have moved on, of course.

I don't think adding a 2nd round pick into the package materially changes things. Mittelstadt+Miller feels a little light, so an add like that would make it look better... but not to the extent that I suddenly shout "DONE!" and run to the fax machine right away. I would still need to follow through on my 2 points above first.

Reactions: Patagonia

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Johansen would fit like a glove behind Eichel taking on the tougher match ups. Stick Olofsson with Eichel and Skinner with Johansen there is two dangerous lines right there. I don’t know if Nashville is looking to trade him though

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If we go retool route in Nashville it’s something I’d consider. Duchene, turris, bonino, etc with mittlestadt working his way in there is still a pretty good center group. Saves us some cap. Miller shores up the d group but is also expendable come time for expansion draft.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What kind of logic are you using?
From the responses I’ve read here, flawed.
I just thought the Preds gave up a lot in Seth Jones to get RJ, and would expect a similar return.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
What did the Preds give up for RJ? Why would they expect anything less in return for him now?
So would you say offering Johansen for Seth Jones would be a fair offer, since that's what Johansen went for last time? Cause I think CBJ would take issue with that.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
So would you say offering Johansen for Seth Jones would be a fair offer, since that's what Johansen went for last time? Cause I think CBJ would take issue with that.

Jones was a 3rd pair D with huge upside stuck behind Weber and Ellis when he was traded. Years later, he's matured beautifully into a #1. No one's suggesting that.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Johansen to Buffalo makes sense.

Johansen + Smith for Mittlestadt + Montour + pick/prospect.

I’m not familiar with the cap situation in Buffalo but Bogo could be moved as a dump as I believe he’s on an expiring deal. Is that correct?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Johansen to Buffalo makes sense.

Johansen + Smith for Mittlestadt + Montour + pick/prospect.

I’m not familiar with the cap situation in Buffalo but Bogo could be moved as a dump as I believe he’s on an expiring deal. Is that correct?
Why does Buffalo want a UFA winger? :huh:

I also don't think Montour really fits what we need in Nashville on D either. Mid-sized, smoother D aren't the thing. We need more of a big physical banger on D. Bogosian - before he got broken - would have been more like it.

I mean, I'd still try Bogosian right now - but that's as a short-term cheap band-aid aimed at trying to make the playoffs. In which case we aren't trading Johansen or Smith. And if we fall out of the playoff race and do consider trading off assets - Smith would definitely be available, but then he is more likely to go to a playoff contender for a draft pick.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The preds signed him to that contract.

Not trading Mitts for him unless KO is included.

too much risk in that contract and him being anchor 2 yrs from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad