Speculation: Ryan Johansen "Softly in play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I was just thinking from a cap neutral stand point.

Hartnell has way too much value (and cost) to be used for Jones.

Pretty sure anyone would trade Clarkson for Weber.

Obviously, not anyone. I wouldn't. Why would we trade for a 30 year old signed until 2025-2026?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Obviously, not anyone. I wouldn't. Why would we trade for a 30 year old signed until 2025-2026?
Because he's one of the best blueliners in the NHL, would instantly solve our "power play point weapon" issues, plays Very physical, and there's nobody else in the League with his particular combination of abilities on the blueline, and he's actually useful for the duration of most of his contract unlike Clarkson?

Seriously, hon, this is the same sort of "logic" that dictates that Hartnell is nigh-untradeable or a cap dump.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Last night, I really didn't see a lack of effort from Johansen as much as playing with 0% confidence. Making cross ice passes just as his line is trying to get to the blue line, mishandling pucks. He has to battle through it.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Last night, I really didn't see a lack of effort from Johansen as much as playing with 0% confidence. Making cross ice passes just as his line is trying to get to the blue line, mishandling pucks. He has to battle through it.

Agreed. I was at the game last night about 10 rows from the glass and spent a lot of time focusing on Johansen. I thought the work ethic was there, particularly the first two periods, but I got the sense that he was over-thinking the plays (and making mistakes) when in the past he's relied on instincts. I agree his confidence is shot right now. He seemed to lose steam late in the third, but that has been typical for him.

I've advocated waiting until the off-season and then making a decision on whether to extend him or trade him. I think his value is at a low right now and I don't want the Jackets to sell low. Unless there is a dramatic change in the last half of the season, I could now see them waiting to see how he rebounds during the first part of next season before they make the decision (extend or trade).

In short, I see this thread (and subsequent sequels) being around here for a long time.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

That's what I'd been seeing for some time now, and it's not all that surprising - it's been said repeatedly that he and Tortorella are basically doing a "development rehash" thing right about now. It's unfortunate, but if it's truly necessary, then, well, this is just one of those things that comes with having a young team and a young star.

Now, whether that confidence loss comes from "having to relearn things from the beginning can make you very tentative" or "the big bad Torts is abusing Joey" probably depends on one's own prejudices. Personally, I'm leaning towards the former (despite my general distaste for Torts ;) ).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That's what I'd been seeing for some time now, and it's not all that surprising - it's been said repeatedly that he and Tortorella are basically doing a "development rehash" thing right about now. It's unfortunate, but if it's truly necessary, then, well, this is just one of those things that comes with having a young team and a young star.

Now, whether that confidence loss comes from "having to relearn things from the beginning can make you very tentative" or "the big bad Torts is abusing Joey" probably depends on one's own prejudices. Personally, I'm leaning towards the former (despite my general distaste for Torts ;) ).

I'm guessing the confidence went because the puck wasn't going in and nothing was going right. And the puck wasn't going in and nothing was going right because he had zero energy. So now that he's skating again I'm hopeful he'll gradually build his confidence back.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Not a fan of Weber, but even outside of his performance he has trade value, because of the way his contract was structured and how Predators paid half of it during the first 4 years. He has 10 years and 54M left. Now look at the UFA market. Brooks Orpik was 34 year old when he signed his 5 year 5.5M per contract. Even if Weber declines in 4 years to Orpiks level, his remaining contract would be par for the course.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I'm guessing the confidence went because the puck wasn't going in and nothing was going right. And the puck wasn't going in and nothing was going right because he had zero energy. So now that he's skating again I'm hopeful he'll gradually build his confidence back.

This is his first go round with being on the trade block rumors. It's hard to say how that will affect a 23 year old.

I'd be curious to put him out on the PK. I think he needs to feel success in his game anywhere. PK is a place effort is rewarded. His micro game (puck handling, quick passes, attempts at making plays) is not there right now.

You can see him over the past few weeks trying to take the body more, but it seemed most times he was handling the puck yesterday it wasn't long before it was going the other direction.

It's the first game I've watch him exclusively on his shifts, but when your #1 center is pretty much saying "hey Gregory Campbell, you take it." he's in a bad place.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Because he's one of the best blueliners in the NHL, would instantly solve our "power play point weapon" issues, plays Very physical, and there's nobody else in the League with his particular combination of abilities on the blueline, and he's actually useful for the duration of most of his contract unlike Clarkson?

Seriously, hon, this is the same sort of "logic" that dictates that Hartnell is nigh-untradeable or a cap dump.

Okay, hon. Sorry I don't agree with you and think adding another huge contract, for even longer than the ones we already have, is smart.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Not a fan of Weber, but even outside of his performance he has trade value, because of the way his contract was structured and how Predators paid half of it during the first 4 years. He has 10 years and 54M left. Now look at the UFA market. Brooks Orpik was 34 year old when he signed his 5 year 5.5M per contract. Even if Weber declines in 4 years to Orpiks level, his remaining contract would be par for the course.

It's not about dollars he is owed though. It's about his impact on the cap.

paragon

May 5, 2010
It's not about dollars he is owed though. It's about his impact on the cap.

If dollars didn't matter Horton would still be here and Clarkson would be playing in Toronto. Not every team is right against the cap. It's the reason why guys like Savard and Pronger can be moved and it's one of the reasons why his contract holds so much value to Nashville, they simply aren't a cap team.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If dollars didn't matter Horton would still be here and Clarkson would be playing in Toronto. Not every team is right against the cap. It's the reason why guys like Savard and Pronger can be moved and it's one of the reasons why his contract holds so much value to Nashville, they simply aren't a cap team.

I'm talking about for Columbus. Who cares about other teams or Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad