Speculation: Ryan Graves to MTL

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Would love to have Graves in Montreal but having watched a decent amount of Avalanche hockey I just don’t see them wanting to trade him. He’s just so solid defensively, does a lot of the little stuff right.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
But what's Graves' value?
Hard to say. Before the season I'd have said around a 4th round pick or maybe less.

Now I don't know. He's played a lot as our #4ish Dman this season and at times on the top pairing and has been a revelation IMO. He's got decent offensive instincts, is big, and has a good shot. He also doesn't have much puck skill, doesn't seem to like blocking shots, and can at times overhandle the puck.

Not sure we'd get the value out of a trade that we've got from him this season. No idea really on the value. This would be selling high.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Graves seems to be working his way into the young D core of Girard/Makar/Byram. I'd be real surprised if he gets moved but everything has a price. The Avs may desperate for a middle 6 center.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
He's probably only worth a 2nd or 3rd, which is why the Avs should keep him and see if he keeps improving. Even if this is his best, he's been a real solid #4 for the Avs. The problem is pretty much the entire team is made up of guys of his caliber besides G being a bit better and Makar.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Colorado has no reason to move him unless it can get them a good forward. He’s playing top 4 minutes and is their best fit to pair with Makar. Sakic won’t toy with that for futures unless those futures will immediately be used to flip for help.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Hard to say. Before the season I'd have said around a 4th round pick or maybe less.

Now I don't know. He's played a lot as our #4ish Dman this season and at times on the top pairing and has been a revelation IMO. He's got decent offensive instincts, is big, and has a good shot. He also doesn't have much puck skill, doesn't seem to like blocking shots, and can at times overhandle the puck.

Not sure we'd get the value out of a trade that we've got from him this season. No idea really on the value. This would be selling high.

I don’t think anyone likes blocking shots, but he is 8th in the league in total blocked shots.

Reactions: Danvalanche

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Montreal should not look to acquire yet another bottom pair D... But if it is part of a package say for Tatar (1st, Graves, good prospect), it would not be horrendous.

Not sure Colorado should trade a D playing in in their top 6 while fighting for their lives through injuries.

They however desperately need help upfront with Rantanen/Kadri out.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
That is a trade Bergevin should have made 2 years ago. I really wanted him when he was in his 3 years in the AHL. Bergevin preferred to go for a guy like Alzner. Absolutely no vision.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Montreal should not look to acquire yet another bottom pair D... But if it is part of a package say for Tatar (1st, Graves, good prospect), it would not be horrendous.

That would be horrible for the AVs. As we would need to fill the hole opend up by trading Graves who is Makar's defensive partner. So no thanks. Colorado will not be trading a defenseman at the TDL. That will happen during the summer. We need all of them for the playoffs as well as probably another RH one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad