Ryan Getzlaf or Zdeno Chara?

Getzlaf or Chara?

• Total voters

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Getzlaf is one of my faves and he does get under-rated - was actually one of my two dark horse candidates coming into the season to win the Hart this year.

But this shouldn't be close.
Peak, prime and career are easily Chara. Arguably the best shutdown d-man of all-time. Was the best defence man in the world for a few years and was a top 5 NHL d-man for over a decade.

Chara's a first ballot HOFer while Getzlaf is on the outside looking in. He could make it but has a lot of work in front of him.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Chara was the best D in the NHL at least for a year or two in his career. Getzlaf was never close to being the best C in the league.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The only current centres that have had better careers than Chara are Sid and Geno.
Could make an argument for Thornton - but it's close.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Chara was the best D in the NHL at least for a year or two in his career. Getzlaf was never close to being the best C in the league.

Chara was never close to the best center in the league either though in terms of overall player value.

I don't think their individual value was much different in their primes on a per game level. Chara gets the advantage for health and longevity

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Chara was never close to the best center in the league either though in terms of overall player value.

I don't think their individual value was much different in their primes on a per game level. Chara gets the advantage for health and longevity

Given a choice between prime Chara and prime Getzlaf to build a team, I take Chara without hesitation.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Chara was much better relative to his position. Difficult to compare forwards and defencemen but voting Chara here.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

That's not really a fair comparison, because you're ignoring the fact that the best center in the league has been the best player in the league. Chara has never been the best player in the league. You're punishing Getzlaf because he has tougher competition.

I'm fine with saying Chara is better, but your reasoning for it falls short.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That's not really a fair comparison, because you're ignoring the fact that the best center in the league has been the best player in the league. Chara has never been the best player in the league. You're punishing Getzlaf because he has tougher competition.

if I give you that point and say best center wasnt possible with Crosby around, would you say its fair to compare AS-2 nominations then?

that is 4-1 in favor of Chara (who has 3x AS-1 as well)

It's not like there has been a lack of elite D either...he's gone against Lidstrom, Karlsson, Weber, Subban, Doughty, Keith

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Ok fair enough, I'll leave it at that.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
if I give you that point and say best center wasnt possible with Crosby around, would you say its fair to compare AS-2 nominations then?

that is 4-1 in favor of Chara (who has 3x AS-1 as well)

That goes back to the tougher competition argument. If you're agreeing that beating Crosby is unrealistic, you're leaving one All-Star spot open for him. Chara would have, what? 4 open spots to compete for?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
How do you figure that a center is the best player in the world?

On any given year, the best goaltender will always be the most impactful player in the league from a simple goals above replacement perspective.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
How do you figure that a center is the best player in the world?

On any given year, the best goaltender will always be the most impactful player in the league from a simple goals above replacement perspective.

Because it's Sidney Crosby. That's pretty much it, right there. Goaltenders don't routinely win the Hart or the Pearson/Lindsay.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Given a choice between prime Chara and prime Getzlaf to build a team, I take Chara without hesitation.

Fair enough. I'm just not sure if comparing them to their peers at their positions is the best way to compare them to each other. Typically the best centers are considered better than the best defensemen. Though that may be forward bias

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That goes back to the tougher competition argument. If you're agreeing that beating Crosby is unrealistic, you're leaving one All-Star spot open for him. Chara would have, what? 4 open spots to compete for?

Getzlaf's injuries also haven't exactly helped him in All Star voting. Though at the same time they are also a knock on him against Chara who has been pretty healthy through his career.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Getzlaf's injuries also haven't exactly helped him in All Star voting. Though at the same time they are also a knock on him against Chara who has been pretty healthy through his career.

Agreed on both counts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad