TSN: Ryan Ellis

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Ellis will get around 6, Josi around 8 the following summer and Ekholm will still have two more years on a sweetheart deal. Don't see a need to trade any

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Ellis will get around 6, Josi around 8 the following summer and Ekholm will still have two more years on a sweetheart deal. Don't see a need to trade any

I think you are under selling each deal by a million. Its a bad use of percentage of cap for a team that clearly needs help on the other side of the ice.

Reactions: wildloon8

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If we had to trade one, I'd trade Josi personally. He'd get a really good return and PK/Ekholm can soak up big minutes and Ellis/LHD would still be good. I personally don't think it'd be wise to dedicate as big of a chunk of the cap to dmen as it is going to take to keep all 4 of them. Guessing Ellis (6), Subban (9), Josi (8), Ekholm (3.75) and a cap of 84 Mil when Josi is extended puts those 4 consuming 31.8% of the cap and that's before Ekholm gets a good paybump. Sure it's feasible to do but it will really kill our ability to further improve the rest of the team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

The kids are already getting there, Ellis will be UFA, 7.xM should be more the range of expectation.

I really don't see how Ellis could ask for 7M?

6M already seems pretty high to me.

E.Kane just signed 7M as a inconsistent winger.
Yandle signed 6.3M few years ago and was older than Ellis.

Ellis has been an elite top4 guy for Nashville.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The kids are already getting there, Ellis will be UFA, 7.xM should be more the range of expectation.

Even with Ellis at 6, after Josi extension we will have far too much capspace (in my opinion) invested in the top 4 d. If he gets more, it makes it even worse.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Are people really going to use Kane as a comparable? Everyone knows it's a terrible contract.

As for Yandle, he tested the market, and he at least had some numbers to warrant that kind of money. Ellis is a great top 4, but 7M is #1 money.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Even with Ellis at 6, after Josi extension we will have far too much capspace (in my opinion) invested in the top 4 d. If he gets more, it makes it even worse.

That's a pretty heavy top4 to be able to keep the quality and quality depth at F, easily run into being a 1 line team.

Subban 9M
Josi 8.5M
Ellis 7M
Ekholm 3.75M.

Reactions: ivanlwan

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Are people really going to use Kane as a comparable? Everyone knows it's a terrible contract.

As for Yandle, he tested the market, and he at least had some numbers to warrant that kind of money. Ellis is a great top 4, but 7M is #1 money.

So were the Eriksson/Lucic/Okposo/Ladd contracts as well, and still Kane was signed after those mistakes.
It's UFA market, the contract majority of the time are bad/garbage.

Ellis isn't just a top4, he's a guy who can play on your 1st pair or on the 2nd pair, in his prime, RD, on UFA market 7M won't be the #1D money in 2019.
When Ellis contract runs out it has been 3 years since Yandles started, and Ellis is the better overall guy.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
That's a pretty heavy top4 to be able to keep the quality and quality depth at F, easily run into being a 1 line team.

Subban 9M
Josi 8.5M
Ellis 7M
Ekholm 3.75M.

When you are going for the cup, the future is now. As for offensive lacking, the Preds were tied for 7th in the league in goals. WTF else do you want them to do offense wise?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
When you are going for the cup, the future is now. As for offensive lacking, the Preds were tied for 7th in the league in goals. WTF else do you want them to do offense wise?

You do know we are talking future contracts here and their impact?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Ellis will get his money from the Preds or another team. Guess the real question is whether the Preds think he will fit under their cap in the future. If not, they still will likely keep him as they still want to go on another Cup run.
As UFA, could be about 7m. Maybe Ellis might want to play for more of an contender whose cap is more limited so maybe he signs for 6.5m with a "better" team. Preds/Leafs for example.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Insider trading mentioned that he's the Preds #1 priority to sign this offseason.

Assuming he signs, who of the 4 dmen long term is traded? Ekholm?

If yhey sign Ellis i could see Ekholm or PK getting traded if they dont want to lose their 5th forward

If nashville wants to improve offense an acquire another forward then they have to go 7-3-1 iin seattle draft. Likely means a D is traded

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Nobody. Their other guys (Arvidsson Forsberg, Ekholm, Josi) are so underpaid that they can handle overpaying Ellis.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Ah yes, forgot about that.

I talked about this recently.

When the expansion happens in two years the Preds will ask, do we want this 4th star defenseman or 3 more above average forwards?

I have a feeling that there could be a situation where Josi is a UFA when the expansion draft happens. In 2 years Subban will be 31 and I could see Nashville offering him to help the Seattle franchise to reach cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad