The Players' Tribune: Ryan Ellis - PEKKA

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
funny how half the people on this board think Rinne's their weakest link lol
Well Rinne has been insane from the start of the playoffs last year to the start of this years playoffs. Excluding the PIT series from last year of course.
The epitome of 'winning starting goalie' right now. Takes the game savers when needed and if he somehow lets in an easy one, he locks down for the rest of the game.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
This team would be a fringe playoff team this season without Rinne.
Fully agreed. #35, #74 tandem carried NSH through many affairs where NSH let the opponent take a 'free' 2-3 goal lead and claw it back, and all around stellar goaltending in any other situation.
Gamesavers left and right.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
funny how half the people on this board think Rinne's their weakest link lol

Its funny when people suggest reasonable opinions are outrageous simply by saying "its funny" and not backing it up whatsoever. I wouldn't say he's been the weakest link but Nashville's a very strong team so on any given night he could compete for that honor, he has found consistency again in the last 2 year seasons but has been on and off for years and was not good at all in the finals(granted the Pens but come cup finals you can't really use that as an excuse. As cup favorites if Nashville does get bounced I do not expect that Rinne will have had a particularly great showing.

Edit: just to clarify this is almost entirely because of how good the rest of Nashville is, obviously he has been the best player this season.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Well Rinne has been insane from the start of the playoffs last year to the start of this years playoffs. Excluding the PIT series from last year of course.
The epitome of 'winning starting goalie' right now. Takes the game savers when needed and if he somehow lets in an easy one, he locks down for the rest of the game.

ya i know but unfortunately in Rinne's case, most remember him from big stage of SCF where he didn't play good in the away games....so the common misconception among the fans on here is that he's their weakest link, that's why you often hear things like "preds will win the cup if Rinne doesn't blow it" or something to that effect.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
ya i know but unfortunately in Rinne's case, most remember him from big stage of SCF where he didn't play good in the away games....so the common misconception among the fans on here is that he's their weakest link, that's why you often hear things like "preds will win the cup if Rinne doesn't blow it" or something to that effect.

Ahhh.

So by "half the people on this board" you really meant the Pens board. Gotcha.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Ahhh.

So by "half the people on this board" you really meant the Pens board. Gotcha.

nope i seen plenty of people on main boards say stuff like that...and even last year people were blaming Pekka for his bad play in the pens series, me on the other hand just saw penguins having good chances/bounces. Its like people forgot that Rinne stole that Anaheim series and only allowed like 3 goals to chicago but they were quick to lay the blame on him in Pens series...

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Fully agreed. #35, #74 tandem carried NSH through many affairs where NSH let the opponent take a 'free' 2-3 goal lead and claw it back, and all around stellar goaltending in any other situation.
Gamesavers left and right.

For some reason I didn't think Saaros. I was thinking of Emelin's #74 from his Habs days and was thinking he was wearing that # on Nashville (is he even still on the Preds?) :laugh:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I am so happy to see Pekka finally getting Vezina, he has been so close achieving it in the past.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
For some reason I didn't think Saaros. I was thinking of Emelin's #74 from his Habs days and was thinking he was wearing that # on Nashville (is he even still on the Preds?) :laugh:
yep. #25 Emelin is in the rotation of WIBE - Weber Irwin Bitetto Emelin.
If I would be one to decide, Bitetto-Emelin would be my 3rd pairing barring injuries for the whole playoffs. Not really sold on either of the ones I didn't mention.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad