Ryan Dzingel or Michael Ferland

who would you rather have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Pretty simple poll, everything considered, contracts, yearly value whatever.

who would be better option for your team? who would you rather have? Dzingel or Ferland.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm a Sens fan, and I've seen plenty of both players. This is just my opinion but as for the player I'd take Ferland because he's simply a more valuable all around player and he's effective in all circumstances.

Dzingel is extremely fast, he'll score goals and create offense just from his speed. Often gets breakaways, is a good passer as well, he can dangle and had some very nice plays with Hoffman and Duchene. He does NOT stand physical contact and is average defensively on his best days. In the playoffs he will score a goal here and there but he will be invisible whenever the games get more physical or intense. There are plenty of players in this league that succeed playing this way, it's not a problem because he can produce. In a run and gun type of game he will succeed without a doubt. He might not score as much as in the last years since he was playing with guys like Duchene and Hoffman, but he'll still give you solid complimentary production. I'd assume he gets around 40 points this season which is great value for his salary.

For the contract, the way I see it I would be more comfortable giving 4 years to Ferland than I would for Dzingel. Both contracts are very good value in my mind. Utlimately it depends on the long term plans of the franchise. Again both contracts are very good and both these teams will not regret these deals. For my money I take Ferland without hesitation.

I don't think that many people on HF are very familiar with Dzingel.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
In a single year, Ferland would be better in about 20 games or so. rest take the other guy...any guy

BTW, I still prefer Ferland's 20 games over the whole year of Dzingel

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For Ferland to be successful, he has to play a physical, aggressive style. Unfortunately, he gets injured when he plays that style so to stay healthy, he can't play that style, and then isn't nearly as effective.. It's a catch-22 with him. Hopefully (for him), the security of a 4 year deal will let him play that style and not worry about if he gets injured.

I'd take a healthy, effective Ferland over Dzingel all day. I just don't know if a healthy, effective Ferland is a real thing or not.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
As a fan of a team that needs top 6 help I didn't want either but taking everything into consideration I would rather get out of Dzingels deal earlier so would go with him.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I wanted no part of Dzingel. He was getting a ton of ice time in Ottawa, it's the classic case of "someone has to put up points". The guy ended up being a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

I don't think Ferland has a game that will age well, but 4 years at 27 years old is fine. A bit more risk, but I think he's a better fit than Dzingel. Neither are bad contracts though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
For Ferland to be successful, he has to play a physical, aggressive style. Unfortunately, he gets injured when he plays that style so to stay healthy, he can't play that style, and then isn't nearly as effective.. It's a catch-22 with him. Hopefully (for him), the security of a 4 year deal will let him play that style and not worry about if he gets injured.

I'd take a healthy, effective Ferland over Dzingel all day. I just don't know if a healthy, effective Ferland is a real thing or not.

Or the 4 yrs allowed him not to play hard any more knowing his future is taken care off. ;)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I wanted no part of Dzingel. He was getting a ton of ice time in Ottawa, it's the classic case of "someone has to put up points".

:huh:

The numbers don't reflect that at all. His ATOI in Ottawa this past season was 17:45. 16:30 the year before that. He went to the Blue Jackets and his ATOI dropped to 14:16 and he still put up 12 points in 21 games - that projects to 46 points over 82 games with that low amount of usage. It's lower by a fair amount than what he did in Ottawa but very respectable, and I might add, almost the exact same as Ferland who also had around 14 minutes ATOI in Carolina.

He also has a career shooting percentage of 15.0%, which on its own tells you he doesn't need volume opportunities to score. He also had 18 of his 22 goals (40 out of 49 the last two seasons) and 16 of his 22 assists (38 out of 48) in Ottawa at even strength, so he wasn't only scoring by racking up points on the PP.

If you're telling me we gotta play this dude 16-17 minutes to get 25ish goals out of him, sign me up.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Ferland has always been a guy who I can’t see having a very long career. He’s the most hot and cold player I’ve seen play for the Flames in recent years in terms of production, and he’s actually pretty inconsistent with his physicality as well.

Seems like a good guy anyways and I’d love to be proven wrong, I just have this feeling he won’t last long.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Both are good players.

I went with Ferland because he's a rare breed that can bring all the extracurricular stuff and still play the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad