Prospect Info: Ryan Chesley, RD, 37th Overall, 2022 Draft

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Ryan Chesley was one of the top defencemen for the United States National Team Development program this year. He played big minutes and was used in all situations, especially in their biggest games. Chesley scored 12 goals and 17 assists for 29 points in 59 games played. He was even better at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Chesley was an alternate captain for Team USA. He scored two goals and five points in six tournament games. He also led all players in the tournament with a +13 plus/minus rating. Chesley helped the American team win a silver medal.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Love it.

Background: Chesley was a top-four defenseman for the U.S. NTDP this season, often playing on both special teams units. He represented team USA’s U18 team as an underage. He’s committed to the University of Minnesota.

Analysis: Chesley has some physical assets that pop off the page from a pro projection. He’s a NHL-caliber skater who can transition pucks up ice very well with his speed. He has average size, but he’s quite strong and physical. With his mobility he’s able to close on checks well, and often uses his body to land hard hits to separate pucks from players. He has good individual skill, with the hands to beat checks one-on-one and generate a lot of power off his one-timer. Chesley isn’t a gifted puck-mover though and can struggle at times with his puck distribution. He projects as a full-time second- or third pair defenseman depending on how much the offense translates to higher levels.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this'll probably end up being the steal of the draft. This guy was criminally underrated. Best defenseman in the draft, in my opinion. I ranked him #3 in the whole draft. He would've been a top 5 pick easily, if he was used a little differently this season. He was used in a very defensive role. Wasn't regularly on the PP. Played as a babysitter for a rover type of defenseman.

Not his fault either. Just the composition of the team necessitated it. The team had a bunch of small defensemen they needed to give PP time and offensive roles because it's a development team, and they are trying to even out the roles to a point. The season prior he was playing regular PP with a more balanced defensive partner, and he was rated as one of the top players in the draft by almost everyone. This season, people started inventing reasons why he wasn't good with the puck. Mostly nonsense. It was lacking PP time, and he also had pretty terrible puck-luck this season. Created so many offensive chances at even strength, but it seemed like the points weren't coming in the first half of the season. It evened out a little more in the second half, but he still didn't get PP time, so there was a limit to how much he could score.

He can do it all defensively. Reminds me of like a Charlie McAvoy/Alex Pietrangelo. I think worst case is like a Jacob Trouba. He's going to be a top 2-3D on an NHL team. Could be a 1D. Can do it all. He skates very well, he's very physical and throws big hits, he's good defensively in puck battles, in the corners, defensive hockey sense, and with his gap control. Offensively, he has a big shot. Loves to shoot the puck. Probably needs to improve his accuracy, but if he does, he could score up to 20 goals in the NHL. He played the Ovechkin spot his first season at the NTDP, and on a team with a lot of skill guys, PP1 revolved around him shooting pucks from that spot. He's second all time in goals for an NTDP defenseman. Can beat goalies clean. Needs better accuracy though. He's a good puck handler and loves transporting the puck. He's not a traditional PP QB that facilitates the puck, but his passing is good enough. More of a shooter than passer, but his passing isn't bad.

When he's allowed to play his game and isn't used as a defensive defenseman, he's all over the ice. He controls the game. He makes plays goal-line to goal-line, and impacts the game in all facets. He's the type of defenseman that could eventually play 25 minutes per game and all situations. This was my favorite player in this draft. You guys made a great pick. It's a guess for all of us, but I think there's a very good chance this pick will be looked back on as potentially the steal of the draft years from now.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021

Loser: Ryan Chesley​

Outside of Ryan Chesley, there really weren't any players I was surprised didn't go in the first round. The defenseman from the U.S. National Program watched a number of his fellow teammates get their name called and walk across the stage, yet he will be forced to wait until Day 2.

I had Chesley ranked higher than fellow defensemen Sam Rinzel and Maveric Lamoureaux, who were both taken in the back end of the first round. ESPN's Kevin Weekes was singing his praises, repeatedly saying that teams should take him, yet he went uncalled. It likely won't take long tomorrow before Chesley is called.https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/nhl-draft-winners-and-losers-2022-sabres-wild-blue-jackets-hit-home-runs-shane-wright-drops-to-no-4-to-kraken/ar-AAZlnYj

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Love this pick. I was kinda torn on the Vanny trade as I thought we maybe could have gotten more. But when you think we got Chelsea and a third which also could be a steal in Suzdalev (although That pick could backfire just as easily), pretty damn good. All of the sudden we have good depth on right dee and no depth at left dee. Haha

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Love this pick. I was kinda torn on the Vanny trade as I thought we maybe could have gotten more. But when you think we got Chelsea and a third which also could be a steal in Suzdalev (although That pick could backfire just as easily), pretty damn good. All of the sudden we have good depth on right dee and no depth at left dee. Haha
Orlov, Fehervary, Lujo, and AA isn't terrible depth assuming Dima re-signs. LHD are also cheaper and easier to come across in free agency.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Hm. Is there no main prospect board thread on Chesley? Searching for one shows results, but clicking it results a 'thread could not be found' error.

Links below for example.

Search result URL: Search results

A dead result URL:

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
Hm. Is there no main prospect board thread on Chesley? Searching for one shows results, but clicking it results a 'thread could not be found' error.

Links below for example.

Search result URL: Search results

A dead result URL:

That seems to be a working URL for his thread.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Random schmoe

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019

That seems to be a working URL for his thread.
Weird. I'm on mobile. Maybe it's a cache issue or mobile redirect issue. Below us what I get on the link.

Screenshot_20220709-123138.png

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
Interesting - if you don't mind scrolling in the Prospects forum, at 30 threads per page his prospect thread is located on page 6, last post at 11:55am yesterday. Maybe clicking on it that way will refresh it on your end.

Reactions: Random schmoe

Random schmoe

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Thanks, that was super helpful .. because the thread doesn't show up there. (I had scrolled quite a way back last night and didn't see it either.)

The first post in this thread I see is 11:22 AM, and there isn't one at 11:55.

I'll take this to a bug or weirdness reporting forum.

(Edit update: I'm getting the same behavior on desktop, and after clearing cache.)

Last edited:

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Try another browser, also try logged out. Neither is a solution, but it could help you diagnose what's happening, narrow it down to the browser (or extension/blocker), maybe your account or something about account status (maybe something screwy going on with Sponsor status or whatever)...

Reactions: Random schmoe

Random schmoe

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Try another browser, also try logged out. Neither is a solution, but it could help you diagnose what's happening, narrow it down to the browser (or extension/blocker), maybe your account or something about account status (maybe something screwy going on with Sponsor status or whatever)...
You're brilliant, thanks. I checked it with a different browser, and logged out, and could see it.

The OP of that thread is on my ignore list. I had checked the list for the thread, thinking maybe I had accidentally clicked it yesterday. But hadn't thought about the users. Didn't realize the entire thread would be hidden unless that was what I specified.

(Would be nice if the "We ran into some problems" error message could accurately report the issue.)

Reactions: Jags

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad