RW vs. LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Wasn't sure which board to put this on, but I figured this was my best bet. I have only been really following hockey for the past few years and never played the game, so I am a little ignorant on some of the technical aspects of the game.

One question that I have wondered about following prospects is what is the difference between the RW and LW positions, that is, what sort of players do you look for at each position? What differing characteristics would a player at each position have? Thanks in advance for any help.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
There really is very little difference between the two, but most players feel more comfortable playing one side of the ice due to familiarity, handedness, etc.

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
Though I'm a right handed shot, I prefer playing the left wing. For two reasons: its easier to get the puck out of your zone when its rung around to your side and of course coming in on the goalie on your off wing is ideal.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
It really all comes down to what you're used to. I grew up as a RW and sometimes in my beer league I have to play LW and i'm just totally lost out there, it's hard to explain.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
I can play both wings just fine but I always find when I play LW I'm more defensively conscious, and with RW I don't have to worry about being 3rd person back all the time.

I thought in the past coaches use to lean towards putting speedier, offensive type players on RW and a two way LW to offset the RW. Thats probably changed now or it was just what I was exposed to in my hockey playing experience.

My coaches were always sort of conservative, some were fine with me a lefty playing RW and some were adamant I play LW. I am more comfortable on RW though, I have a phobia of having people off to my right. I always sit on the farthest right possible, in meetings, or in school. :confused:

Clancy

May 15, 2004
South Jersey
SkateLikeTheWind said:
Though I'm a right handed shot, I prefer playing the left wing. For two reasons: its easier to get the puck out of your zone when its rung around to your side and of course coming in on the goalie on your off wing is ideal.

i'm the same way. it's easier to make that quick pass to the center on the break out that way. last season my coach had me on the RW because my friend, the "star" :shakehead had to have his LW(he's a huge puckhog,too) i'm not one to make a big deal about it so i dealt with it. my coach kept getting pissed at me because i had trouble getting the puck off the boards when the D thoughtlessly threw it along without looking up to see he had some time to move it up :rant:

probably my worst season based on goals. i had a ton of assists but i want to score,dammit! :madfire:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I play witht he stick down to my left. I can play on both wings, so I'm not fussed where I end up on the ice. One thing I've notice is that when I'm on the RW I shoot more. I think this is as I've got a better angle at the goal and that. When I'm on the LW and facing the goal my stick is not in good place too shoot, but I can make some good cross ice passes from the wing.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
As a right shot, I prefer the LW because it allows the cut back toward the middle to be more of a shooting option for me. Coming down the right side, the cut back to the middle essentially eliminates the quick shot.

KariyaIsGod*

If you can master the backhanded flip passes, playing your off wing will be hugely beneficial. You get better shots, easier one timers but your passing won't suffer.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
right wing if you shoot right, left wing if you shoot left, because when you play the same wing as you shoot you can protect the puck with your body rushing down the wing. The only downside is the shooting angle you are given

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
The way it works down for me:

I've got a lefty shot.

I'm an offensive player so I'm a LW, easier to recieve and handle a pass and your often on a goalies weak side. (in my league)

If I was a defensive player, I would play RW. Mainly because it'd be easier to get the puck outta of the corners and block shots.

Wingers are also often, smaller and quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad