RW Veeti Miettinen - St Cloud State University, NCAA (2020, 168th, TOR)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Is he already at WJC camp for Finland? I know St. Cloud State starts their season on December 1st and was hoping to watch him for a few games before he heads to camp (if he's even invited?).

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Is he already at WJC camp for Finland? I know St. Cloud State starts their season on December 1st and was hoping to watch him for a few games before he heads to camp (if he's even invited?).
I'm pretty sure he is playing on December 1st. Not sure of the timeline for Finland.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Draws the pp then assists the first goal with a nice pass for a deflection

edit:Such a shame he missed the wjcs in a regular year he would have been in the finnish top9 for sure

Was great today. Scored as well, later in the game. St. Cloud really runs their PP through Veeti, which is impressive.

He's adjusted quicker than I expected.

Reactions: LeafChief

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Draws the pp then assists the first goal with a nice pass for a deflection

edit:Such a shame he missed the wjcs in a regular year he would have been in the finnish top9 for sure

Yeah I think him being in the States complicated things for quarantines and training camp, because Finland could really use his playmaking.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Not saying he's Caufield level good but he's 9 months younger has 1 more goal in 1 more game played than Cole, while being in North America for less than 2 months. He's got a shot that's on par with Caufield and he knows where the defensive zone is. He's also 2 inches taller and roughly the same weight as CC as well.

Forget Robertson >> Caufield. I'm saying we have a new contender in the match and he's coming in hot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is he might be better than Caufield too. Guys drafted in the 2nd and 6th rounds both 9 months younger and producing at better paces with more complete games with a whole 2+ more inches on CC. Who would've thought, we'd see the day Leafs management would be competent enough to pull this kind of shit.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Someone please explain how this kid fell all the way to the 6th round?
For every Cole Caufield that goes 15th overall, there's a Veeti Miettinen who gets drafted 6 rounds later and produces at the same pace. Montreal has really not been good at this draft thing for the past decade +.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Someone please explain how this kid fell all the way to the 6th round?

Miettinen falling as far as he did was by far the biggest head scratcher of the draft for me. It’s almost indefensible.

Last season he decided to play Finnish Jr. A rather than go pro as many of his peers did. He did this to preserve his NCAA eligibility as he was dead set on going to St. Cloud.

While other players his age were playing pro, he was looked at as having been a step behind because he was playing junior. It's the reason he slipped and beacause the NCAA started so late, it's the reason he didn't make the world junior team.

Reactions: weems

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Seems like he'd look real nice with Hirvonen and Lundell tomorrow.
He's the sniper and game-breaking talent that Finland is sorely lacking right now. Lundell is a monster but he's still a more 2 way guy and needs some help. Veeti could be out there running a line on his own with the way he's playing against young men in the NCAA. Such a damn shame we were robbed of seeing him on the world stage.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Last season he decided to play Finnish Jr. A rather than go pro as many of his peers did. He did this to preserve his NCAA eligibility as he was dead set on going to St. Cloud.

While other players his age were playing pro, he was looked at as having been a step behind because he was playing junior. It's the reason he slipped and beacause the NCAA started so late, it's the reason he didn't make the world junior team.

Right - I get the reason behind his decision to stay in the Junior A circuit, but he literally broke the league’s goal scoring records last season (both career and single season), and anyone with a functioning set of eyes can see that his shot is special.

I just don’t understand how he dropped THAT far. Even most draft publications seemed to have him as a 3rd/4th round talent (which to me was still absurdly low).

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Are you high?

I would honestly consider picking him over Cole if I was drafting. Younger, bigger, faster, and some incredible tools.

I am not surprised as the we draft very well under Dubas.

Not saying Cole won't get there but he has been underwhelming in two world juniors (not including exhibition games)

And I am 100% not high.

Also looking at your post history you could once in a while be a little more unbiased with some of your prospects. No player is perfect.

Last edited:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Not saying he's Caufield level good but he's 9 months younger has 1 more goal in 1 more game played than Cole, while being in North America for less than 2 months. He's got a shot that's on par with Caufield and he knows where the defensive zone is. He's also 2 inches taller and roughly the same weight as CC as well.

Forget Robertson >> Caufield. I'm saying we have a new contender in the match and he's coming in hot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is he might be better than Caufield too. Guys drafted in the 2nd and 6th rounds both 9 months younger and producing at better paces with more complete games with a whole 2+ more inches on CC. Who would've thought, we'd see the day Leafs management would be competent enough to pull this kind of shit.

It's not really insane because Miettinen should have never went 168th.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
13 points in 11 games (7 goals) for a freshman in the hardest NCAA conference. Crazy D+1 so far.

It's his first season on North American ice and he's playing without any game-breaking offensive talents. Last season, his line mates Brodzinski and Krannila had 12pts in 37GP and 14pts in 34GP respectively.

Getting Miettinen in the 6th round, Rindell in the 6th round, and Ovchinnikov in the 5th round is looking like found money and many leagues haven't even started up yet.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
13 points in 11 games (7 goals) for a freshman in the hardest NCAA conference. Crazy D+1 so far.

It's his first season on North American ice and he's playing without any game-breaking offensive talents. Last season, his line mates Brodzinski and Krannila had 12pts in 37GP and 14pts in 34GP respectively.

Getting Miettinen in the 6th round, Rindell in the 6th round, and Ovchinnikov in the 5th round is looking like found money and many leagues haven't even started up yet.
The entire draft looks like a absolute home run. Obviously way to early to know if any of the players do anything in the NHL but just from an organizational value stand point it is great to have so many late round picks trend in the direction of looking like players to actually keep an eye on going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad