RW Tyler Wong - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2014 Undrafted)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Overager in the WHL seemed to tear it up this season and in the playoffs so far. Looks like a decent chance somebody might give him a contract.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=62109

A stingy, competitive two-way forward that has the skill to consistently create offence and the defensive awareness to limit the opposition's time and space. Excellent vision and creativity. Strong on the puck and quick to get on the backcheck. Very active defensively and doesn't give up his own end to dominate offensively. Many smaller players play on the perimiter, but Wong isn't afraid of going to the hard areas and battling for possession. A true all-around player with the drive to compete and win.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
He's been excellent for Lethbridge he's won fan favorite every year be's been here. Lethbridge a few years was in terrible shape, they had a ton of guys who asked for a trade out but Wong stuck it out and became part of the solution. He's also won the WHLs humanitarian award.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I pointed this out on the CHL playoff thread but his stats are eerily similar to Tyler Johnson, size, being an overager and all(hence why I thought I would create a thread for him).

Personally from what I've seen with him, there is a big difference between him and Johnson. Wong is a solid player and plays bigger than his size says, but he's a couple levels below Tyler's talent. Mitch Holmberg was the last "amazing" overager who's more similar to Wong and he's a dime a dozen ECHLer. I want a team out there to gamble on Wong and give him a chance, but every year there is normally one "eerily similar to Tyler Johnson" player from the Dub that amounts to pretty much nothing.

For me, the best overager from the WHL is going to be Steenberger, crime he wasn't drafted last year.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I didnt realize that the Leafs had a early look on this kid.... even suited up for the Marlies?

I watched him at the development camp.

It looks like he was beat out by Trevor Moore for a contract.

I liked Moore a lot better at camp.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
He is not the prototypical small offensive guy. He oozes heart, leadership and grit. I wouldn't be surprised to see his determination take him places.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
He'll join back up with the Marlies on an AHL deal, possibly an ELC

Last edited:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I've had a chance to watch Tyler Wong quite a few times over the past 3 years, and the thing that impresses me most about him is his strength and drive along the boards, especially for his size. He's really not afraid to dig for the puck. He also had quite possibly the nicest assist I've ever seen live. It was a 2-on-1 and he pulled the puck back behind his skates and passed it across to the open man. Beautiful. I'm not sure that he has a future in the NHL, but it would be nice to see.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta

Only days after the Canes were eliminated he played last game in Lethbridge, Wong was available for fans to see him and meet him one last time. Can't remember a Hurricane doing something like this, one of the most (if not the most) loved played in 'Canes history.

All the best moving forward! He will definitely get some offers.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Tyler showed a ton of class, meeting with fans one last time. Hopefully he succeeds wherever he winds up, he certainly deserves it.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
WHLCanes said:
Former #WHLCanes Captain Tyler Wong has signed an AHL contract with the Chicago Wolves! #CaneTrain #YQL

RELEASE - *******/2rj0TcS

For 2017-2018 season.

Roughly6Owls

Dec 11, 2015
Makes sense that Vegas is attractive for prospects who might not be able to get directly to the NHL right now -- there's literally no team in the league that can promise better AHL opportunities, considering Vegas is going to have between seven and zero guaranteed AHLers (in any position) depending on their expansion picks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm a bit surprised he's getting an AHL deal instead of an ELC from someone - would have considered him a better prospect than Reid Duke. Vegas organization is a good opportunity, though.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm a bit surprised he's getting an AHL deal instead of an ELC from someone - would have considered him a better prospect than Reid Duke. Vegas organization is a good opportunity, though.

AHL deal from what I Know, is a downgrade contract from a ELC. ELC you make 6 figures, and a chance at a call up. AHL contract is a 5 figure contract, with very little chance of playing in the NHL since that player is considered a no go for the NHL. At this point the player is signing to play pro hockey in the AHL.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He never said that Wong is from China.

to say home crowd implies he's from there.

In case your English is not up to par, thats what meant, although word by word he didn't say it. You can easily read between the lines of what he means. Especially of where he is from (United States).

Reactions: Hazed Existence

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
to say home crowd implies he's from there.

In case your English is not up to par, thats what meant, although word by word he didn't say it. You can easily read between the lines of what he means. Especially of where he is from (United States).

It's amusing that you question my understanding of English and yet write a response of such poor grammar yourself.

I'm certain that he knows where Wong is from, it feels like you are just looking for something to be offended about.

What comes to Wong actually joining Kunlun – the organization did in fact approach him on the matter but he declined the offer.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It's amusing that you question my understanding of English and yet write a response of such poor grammar yourself.

I'm certain that he knows where Wong is from, it feels like you are just looking for something to be offended about.

What comes to Wong actually joining Kunlun – the organization did in fact approach him on the matter but he declined the offer.

source?

Reactions: Hazed Existence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad