RW Tyler Boucher - Belleville Senators, AHL (2021, 10th, OTT)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
*Guy resembles Tom Wilson*

Let's reach 30 picks on him. I fully expected a reach, but 10th? Holy f***.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Tyler Boucher may truthfully be the worst top-10 pick in NHL history. His upside is that of a 4th liner, pure 4th liner as he has no mentionable offensive skills and is practically exclusive at defensive coverage and man to man plays, I would be highly suspect of him as a draft pick

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
yet there are people who tell me ottawa is good at drafting even though they make trash picks every year
Ottawa is showing that the people (like me) who were skeptical of almost all of their draft picks since the start of their rebuild may be right and Ottawa may just be lucky

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Holy hyperbole.
This is not hyperbole lol. He spent much of his time with the USNDTP juniors and was outpaced by pretty well every prospect worth a damn there- players not to be drafted for a year or more.

He's the first player I can think of that's spent *any* time on that team and been drafted the same year

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This is not hyperbole lol. He spent much of his time with the USNDTP juniors and was outpaced by pretty well every prospect worth a damn there- players not to be drafted for a year or more.

He's the first player I can think of that's spent *any* time on that team and been drafted the same year

You seem to not know anything about the NTDP.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Sens plan on just hurting people with Tkachuk, Greig and Boucher.

I see some top 6 upside so I'm good with the pick even if the value at 10 might not be the absolute best

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
yet there are people who tell me ottawa is good at drafting even though they make trash picks every year

You expect all their picks to be golden? Their track record speaks for itself. If there's one thing the Sens do well, it's drafting.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
People will cry reach but Boucher would have likely been a consensus top 15-20 prospect if he didn't get hurt this year.

Im really, really relieved to see you in here justifying this pick for my Sens (and I hope you take that as a high compliment).

Trent Mann is a scouting master in my honest opinion. And I trust him to make the right pick for the Sens. But holy shit this was a like a next level big balls move.

Mann has done some phenomenal work as the Sens chief scout - Chabot, Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson, Sanderson, Pinto, Formenton to name just a few. But I cant help but feel like this pick will define how the hockey world really ranks his greatness as a scout.

Bold, bold move - but I cant help but like it knowing full well that Mann and Dorion realize that the hockey world is laughing/questioning the pick - and they are fully banking on having the last laugh. That means something.

So as a fan, my interest level is at an all time high knowing that they were fully willing to use their own personal reputations on a big gamble. There was zero pressure to gamble in their situation - they were playing with house money (because their prospect depth is already crazy), and they could have easily made a much, much safer pick without putting their own reputations on the line.

For that reason alone its hard not to be excited. There is nothing more assuring as the client than when you see that a talented professional (with the resume to prove it) is willing to double down and bet on themselves.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you don’t know what you are saying, it’s be better to refrain from commenting. Too many people here don’t have a clue what they are saying.

Boucher is far from a boxer. He’s a skilled power forward. I could see him scoring at a first or second line rate eventually. He missed a lot of time this season, so that hurt his draft stock with the public perception, but he showed good improvement from last season with making more happen from shift to shift. He’s also a huge physical presence. One of the most punishing hitters in any recent draft. I wouldn’t have taken him this high, but I absolutely could see him being the 10th best player in this draft. He’s Tom Wilson 2.0 if he hits his ceiling.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Chabot, Tkachuk, Sanderson, Pinot ECT ECT were all called bad picks by those same, lost people.

And if you want to base your opinion off of public polls and loud mouths on the internet/social media - then you deserve to be confused and stupefied like you are right now. Ottawa is inarguably one of the best teams at drafting.

Ill cut you some slack though because even our own fan base STILL has an uncomfortable amount of fans that seem to think they know how to scout better than the pros - and show no signs of feeling shame when they have to dial back their opinions after proven to be wrong - but continue with the same annual routine of bitter outrage at every draft regardless of history not being on their side....

2021 would be the best draft in NHL history to admit as an arm chair scout that your in way over your head, and that taking a strong opinion on any player is not a very logical approach.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Im really, really relieved to see you in here justifying this pick for my Sens (and I hope you take that as a high compliment).

Trent Mann is a scouting master in my honest opinion. And I trust him to make the right pick for the Sens. But holy shit this was a like a next level big balls move.

Mann has done some phenomenal work as the Sens chief scout - Chabot, Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson, Sanderson, Pinto, Formenton to name just a few. But I cant help but feel like this pick will define how the hockey world really ranks his greatness as a scout.

Bold, bold move - but I cant help but like it knowing full well that Mann and Dorion realize that the hockey world is laughing/questioning the pick - and they are fully banking on having the last laugh. That means something.

So as a fan, my interest level is at an all time high knowing that they were fully willing to use their own personal reputations on a big gamble. There was zero pressure to gamble in their situation - they were playing with house money (because their prospect depth is already crazy), and they could have easily made a much, much safer pick without putting their own reputations on the line.

For that reason alone its hard not to be excited. There is nothing more assuring as the client than when you see that a talented professional (with the resume to prove it) is willing to double down and bet on themselves.

I don't have a comprehensive pulse on the draft prospects (and no one here does) as I only really follow American prospects closely at this stage, so I don't really have an opinion if Boucher was the right pick at 10. But I knew a bunch of people who don't follow the NTDP or USHL would overreact when the pick happened. People are acting like he's Tyler Biggs or something and it's so wildly inaccurate.

They don't know who Boucher is because he missed the U18s and that's where they get their first exposure to the guys who aren't the huge NTDP names during their 2 years with the program. They're stat watching and it's not a good way to scout and project. Boucher has the frame, very good skating, and plenty of skill. And no one with the NTDP '03 team had a better development curve between their U17 and U18 season. The only reason he wasn't a lot higher in draft rankings is he got hurt.

And the Senators know this well. Two of their young studs - Tkachuk and Norris (even though they didn't draft him, they obviously knew his NTDP game very well) - had very similar development progression paths as Boucher with the NTDP. Statistically they were just okay in their U17 seasons but the tools and ability were obvious - they just needed time. And all three took huge development leaps in their U18 seasons, albeit Boucher with a smaller sample size. I'm sure the Sens see the similarities there as do I.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad