RW Tyler Biggs (2011, 22nd overall, Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueStatus

Devils-Redhawks
Oct 15, 2008
What do people know about this kid?

He just committed to Miami University, and I keep seeing him rise in mock drafts. I'm looking forward to seeing him play the next couple of years.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Big body, skates well; type of player any team would want to have. I've yet to see him since he's played on his Minor Midget team and I'm interested in hearing how he's developed since then.

Would love to see him play in Oshawa with all that talent after he's done with the NTDP. We'll have to see.

member 30781

Tyler Biggs

What is the deal with him? He has been climbing the charts consistently and I have seen him up in the top 10 in a few mock drafts. Am I missing something or is this kid REALLY that good?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
there has been lots of discussion about him in the Bobby Mac and CSS threads, with some good bios on him...plus didnt you ask this in another thread as well??

to put it simple, he is a young Keith Tkachuk. That is how I have been describing him for some time now. mean, nasty, and has a scorers touch. I myself was surprised as to how high he is ranked, but looking at his competition, there isnt much out there like him. he is the real deal, and will go high in June.

member 30781

there has been lots of discussion about him in the Bobby Mac and CSS threads, with some good bios on him...plus didnt you ask this in another thread as well??

to put it simple, he is a young Keith Tkachuk. That is how I have been describing him for some time now. mean, nasty, and has a scorers touch. I myself was surprised as to how high he is ranked, but looking at his competition, there isnt much out there like him. he is the real deal, and will go high in June.

I did but really didnt get a great number of responses, if at all. Thanks for the insight though. Really want to see more of him before I judge.

PortlandWinterHawks

Dec 4, 2010
I'd really like to know more about him. I only have subscriptions to the CHL network but that's pretty much it. I see that he's ranked pretty highly on mock drafts as well.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I did but really didnt get a great number of responses, if at all. Thanks for the insight though. Really want to see more of him before I judge.

lets put it this way, when Bob McKenzie has you ranked in the top 10, it is legit. He has the most trusted rankings that comes out because it comes from ACTUAL PRO SCOUTS, unlike most other services.

I remember when a few people who followed the USHL/USNDP argued with me over Tyler Biggs and J.T Miller. I always felt Biggs was better almost a year and a half ago then Miller. But both are big power forward kids that will go in the first round in June. Only difference is Biggs plays much more physical and nasty and is a better overall goal scorer, where Miller is a better all around playmaker and passer with nice size.

I also had Rocco Grimaldi ahead of Matt Nieto as well, took some heat for that, looks to be leaning that way as well...

Biggs and Miller are the two kids that benefited the most from the 93 birth year "snub" of the USNDP. Guys like Trocheck, Ambroz, Noesen, Hohman, McColgan, Jacobs, Morebeck, etc all got invites for the program at some point over the past 2 plus years only to lure none of them to this squad. That is what has helped Biggs and Miller the most, is that they are the focal point of the USNDP along with Grimaldi, and all 3 of these kids will go first round in June...Book it.

member 30781

lets put it this way, when Bob McKenzie has you ranked in the top 10, it is legit. He has the most trusted rankings that comes out because it comes from ACTUAL PRO SCOUTS, unlike most other services.

I remember when a few people who followed the USHL/USNDP argued with me over Tyler Biggs and J.T Miller. I always felt Biggs was better almost a year and a half ago then Miller. But both are big power forward kids that will go in the first round in June. Only difference is Biggs plays much more physical and nasty and is a better overall goal scorer, where Miller is a better all around playmaker and passer with nice size.

I also had Rocco Grimaldi ahead of Matt Nieto as well, took some heat for that, looks to be leaning that way as well...

Biggs and Miller are the two kids that benefited the most from the 93 birth year "snub" of the USNDP. Guys like Trocheck, Ambroz, Noesen, Hohman, McColgan, Jacobs, Morebeck, etc all got invites for the program at some point over the past 2 plus years only to lure none of them to this squad. That is what has helped Biggs and Miller the most, is that they are the focal point of the USNDP along with Grimaldi, and all 3 of these kids will go first round in June...Book it.

That is one thing I don't see happening. As much as I like Grimaldi, a player that short scares GM's away. That isn't to say he wont get picked relatively high, but I dont think any GM takes a chance on him in the first round. 5'6" is just RIDICULOUSLY short. If BU finishes up the season the way they starter Nieto will get picked before Grimaldi.

And that is not to knock Grimaldi either. I wish the best for him but his size is a HUGE factor in where he gets picked.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That is one thing I don't see happening. As much as I like Grimaldi, a player that short scares GM's away. That isn't to say he wont get picked relatively high, but I dont think any GM takes a chance on him in the first round. 5'6" is just RIDICULOUSLY short. If BU finishes up the season the way they starter Nieto will get picked before Grimaldi.

And that is not to knock Grimaldi either. I wish the best for him but his size is a HUGE factor in where he gets picked.

Grimaldi is going to go higher then many people think...I firmly believe that. I have little doubt that he will be a first round pick, and could very well go in the top 20 if he has an amazing U18 tourney.

A lot of people simply havent seen the kid play at all and only talk about his 5'6 frame. The kid does not play anywhere close to that, and I think all of the scouting world is starting to see that.

As for the Grimaldi vs Nieto thing, it seems most scouting services/sources have Grimaldi ranked higher then Nieto, that is what I meant by that. Nieto has top 15 skill, but unfortunately with a lot of freshman on great teams, they dont get enough ice time or consistent enough time/power play to showcase their skill.

I believe Nieto will go in the first round, similar to Sheahan who was picked in the first round out of Notre Dame last year, and Nieto is much more skilled then Riley imo.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

It's so hard to say this year with so few relative "high end" prospects or guys seen as "can't miss." I think we're going to see, at least in terms of HF poster expectations, a lot of Fowler/Gormley/Etem/Pulkkinen/Kabanov/etc. type slides and Hishon/Visentin/etc. "reaches." We've already seen a lot of movement in a short period of time on guys that not long ago were seen as high end, Top 10 guys like Seth Ambroz. All it takes is one team to love a prospect though. And in what looks like to be a pretty weak draft and one filled with good junior players with major NHL level flaws, I wouldn't be surprised to see Grimaldi go 20th or 60th.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I saw Biggs play recently against North Dakota. In my mind he was the most impressive player on the Under 18 team with JT Miller being the second guy that caught my eye.

Biggs isn't so much as big as he is just plain wide. He plays the power forward game and displayed good offensive instincts. Upside to me was a Shane Doan/Garth Murray type player. I walked away saying he's a first rounder after the viewing.

JT Miller has very good speed and also showed some offensive creativity. If you think he has hands he's a 2nd liner. He looked like an early second rounder to me personally as I really saw him more of a Matthew Lombardi type player who's skill set make you think he's a top 6 player but he produces more as a 2nd/3rd liner.

Dougie Seguin

2011 Cup Champs
May 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Tyler Biggs

Havent heard anything about him then i saw a mock where he was going in the top 10.

Looking at his stats it look like he should be a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but their could be something that i dont know about him that would put him in the top 10.

So can anybody tell me anything about him? Who does he compare to?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think there is already a thread on him kicking around. I think it was only started in the last couple weeks, so Im not sure there is a ton of info in it...

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Tyler Biggs

This guy comes out of nowhere right from the early-mid second round to the currently projected top-10 of the draft and there is no thread on him.

People can't agree whether he's just another hyped checker and the latest love-in with a powerforward with 'potential', or a legitimately stand-out offensive prospect.

What's the deal HF?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
most people on HF have no clue who he is, do not watch USHL hockey, and will only go by stats (stat hounds), and say he is overrated, so be prepared for mindless theroies in regards to Biggs.

for those of us that have seen him, Biggs is the real deal when it comes to power forwards. I dont know what he will produce at the pro level, but he has all the attributes to be one nasty player there. he has wonderful hands, solid vision, kid skates fine, and hits the living snot out of everything. if there ever was the next coming of Keith (Walt) Tkachuk, this would be it.

fyi, there has been numerous threads on him as well, maybe the search engine didnt pull them up, but there is usually a thread on Biggs that pops up every 2-3 weeks on here.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Gritty player, but not elite offensive upside. But certainly a great checker(outstanding hitter) that will go into the dirty areas. Similar upside to Zack Kassian, but with less of a nasty streak.(Not calling either player dirty, just edgy)

If he pans out and develops well, think David Backes. His first year in College hockey(assuming he honors his commitment) should be very telling of the future. I don't see him in the NHL for another 3 years at least.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The thing with Biggs is that he has been very good against older competition. He's proving himself against players older than him, which is great to see. He's a very projectable player who should fill out and be a 50+ point player in the NHL. All while providing a stable front of the net presence who can pop in some good ones on the powerplay.

He's a very solid top 10 pick.

arsmaster*

What I wonder is what is the big difference between Biggs and Ambroz.

One came into the year as a potential top 5 pick with power forward potential but his production stagnated and his rankings dropped big time, now an afterthought in the 1st round.

The other came in unheralded, hasnt set the world on fire with production...havent seen him play, thats just a broad viiew of only stats.

Why is Biggs now a top 5 or 10 pick and Ambroz a 2nd rounder.

American dream, could you maybe give me a compare and contrast of the two? Cheers

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Biggs is your prototypical power forward. He's easy to miss if all you're going by are his stats. I would compare him to David Booth, a gritty, grind for the puck then score type of guy. Of the 3 draft rankings I've released (Draftrank), I had him at 10 twice and once as an honorable mention.

Seguins Dragon*

Gritty player, but not elite offensive upside. But certainly a great checker(outstanding hitter) that will go into the dirty areas. Similar upside to Zack Kassian, but with less of a nasty streak.(Not calling either player dirty, just edgy)

If he pans out and develops well, think David Backes. His first year in College hockey(assuming he honors his commitment) should be very telling of the future. I don't see him in the NHL for another 3 years at least.

Who has the better upside of these two?

What player does Kassian compare to and where do you see him topping out at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad