RW Trey Fix-Wolansky - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2018, 204th, CBJ)

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
I've been doing some data analysis of the Canadian Juniors calculating each players' contribution to their team by dividing the points a player puts up in a game by the total number of points their team puts up (I want to make a full post on the project once I finish it).

In the WHL, for players who have played more than 10 games, Trey Fix-Wolansky sits in second place for age-adjusted Points-Per-Team-Points-% (the metric I've created; behind only Aleksi Heponiemi) and in fourth place for unadjusted PPTPt% (behind Heponiemi, Glenn Gawdin, and Tyler Steenbergen, the top three forwards on the Broncos), contributing to 44.7% of all of the Oil Kings points in each game he has played in.

I haven't found any scouting reports on him and I don't think he's ranked in any draft rankings. Granted, he is undersized (only 5'8" 165 lbs).

Does anyone know anything else about him? He's piqued my interested having such a high PPTPt%.

Reactions: Stive Morgan and hi

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Looks like he was draft eligible in 2017 with a May 1999 birthday?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He’s a very good offensive player. Smart, feisty, with a chip on his shoulder. Great production without a lot of help (finished 29 points ahead of the next Oil King)

If he was 6’1 or 6’2, he would have gone third round or higher last year and with his improvement this year whoever drafted him would have been thrilled with his progression.

Outside of his obvious size knocks (he’s listed at 5’7 and anywhere from 165-190lb, I’d say the latter is more accurate as he’s built like a brick shit house) the biggest knock on his game is he’s definitely a work in progress on the defensive side of the puck. He did improve there as well though.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone use a 5th to 7th round pick on him, and if they don’t, he should definitely get more camp offers. He didn’t look out of place at all at the Oilers rookie camp.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
He’s a very good offensive player. Smart, feisty, with a chip on his shoulder. Great production without a lot of help (finished 29 points ahead of the next Oil King)

If he was 6’1 or 6’2, he would have gone third round or higher last year and with his improvement this year whoever drafted him would have been thrilled with his progression.

Outside of his obvious size knocks (he’s listed at 5’7 and anywhere from 165-190lb, I’d say the latter is more accurate as he’s built like a brick **** house) the biggest knock on his game is he’s definitely a work in progress on the defensive side of the puck. He did improve there as well though.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone use a 5th to 7th round pick on him, and if they don’t, he should definitely get more camp offers. He didn’t look out of place at all at the Oilers rookie camp.
How's his skating?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
How's his skating?

Choppy but certainly wouldn't hold him back.

Height is really the main concern. Have caught a bunch of Oil Kings games over the last few years; what really stands out is that he's built like a tank. If he was three inches taller with the same build he'd have been drafted. Doesn't help that his supporting cast has been garbage.

Stylistically can't think of a comparable, but he's usually pretty actively engaged offensively, and has a bit of edge to his game. On the downside, he seems to get caught floating at times away from the puck.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's okay, views the ice a bit like Marchand in that that he's one of those "attention to detail" type of players. His skating is meh, but he gets around the ice without any problems while possessing superb vision. Loves going to the dirty areas and definitely has some goon-ary antics in his game similar to Brad. Not a lot of talent for me, which is why he was passed over, but has shown enough to be considered a late round selection to see if he continues to bloom. I currently view him as a 6th rounder.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He's looking very good early on in the WHL season. I know he was solid last year, and basically carried the Oil Kings as a D+1, but I think he's taken a whole other step since last year. I saw the game Kootenay game this evening, as I was more trying to keep an eye on Krebs, but boy Fix-Wolansky a fun player to watch, his skating looks even better than I remember it, which was my main takeaway. He currently sits tied for 1st place in WHL scoring with a potential top 5 pick in the upcoming draft and 20 year olds. His draft year is a bit deceiving as he's kind of in his d+2 stage when you consider he's a 99, but he's playing very solid for a late round selection. I don't put a ton of stock in these late rounders, but this could be a fantastic pick in a few years if he keeps improving.

Reactions: Tuntrui

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He's looking very good early on in the WHL season. I know he was solid last year, and basically carried the Oil Kings as a D+1, but I think he's taken a whole other step since last year. I saw the game Kootenay game this evening, as I was more trying to keep an eye on Krebs, but boy Fix-Wolansky a fun player to watch, his skating looks even better than I remember it, which was my main takeaway. He currently sits tied for 1st place in WHL scoring with a potential top 5 pick in the upcoming draft and 20 year olds. His draft year is a bit deceiving as he's kind of in his d+2 stage when you consider he's a 99, but he's playing very solid for a late round selection. I don't put a ton of stock in these late rounders, but this could be a fantastic pick in a few years if he keeps improving.

Definitely worth the gamble.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
He's okay, views the ice a bit like Marchand in that that he's one of those "attention to detail" type of players. His skating is meh, but he gets around the ice without any problems while possessing superb vision. Loves going to the dirty areas and definitely has some goon-ary antics in his game similar to Brad. Not a lot of talent for me, which is why he was passed over, but has shown enough to be considered a late round selection to see if he continues to bloom. I currently view him as a 6th rounder.
If he has little talent how does he get 72 points in 40 games? Is it IQ, puckluck, very good shot? I’m asking not criticizing either. That’s in line with Barzal’s last junior season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The post you quoted was from April 2018, before he was drafted.
I still believe the same way about him, the points he's putting up is not that shocking for a 19 year old. I am glad that he's having a solid season, but his true test will come once he gets into the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad