RW Tom Wilson - Plymouth Whalers, OHL (Washington Capitals)

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Prototypical power forward. Wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks into the first round. Good skater, punishing hitter, has a bit of a mean streak.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
Plymouth is just churning out the top-end prospects lately, wow.

Mitch Dempsey next year as well.

Danny Vanderweil probably won't get first round attention, but he's a fast, gritty and very skilled player as well. He outplayed Adam Erne in the second half of the U17 Five Nations this past summer and IIRC, he tied Erne for points. He's getting ice time over Dempsey and Mistele this year, but he's not getting scoring line minutes. Next year, his production should improve dramatically.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
wilson is a big kid. I saw him once so my prognosis of him is limited. Slick hands, not the hardest skating guy from the one time i saw him, would have liked to see more effort but what can ya do?

I hope to see about 4-6 more whaler games this season so i can definitely keep you informed. Judging by his skill-set, size and frame, he could easily be a first rounder.

mbowman

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto/Halifax
Been wondering about this guy too. My brother went to school with him before he moved to Plymouth, and they played together on the school team. My bro says's he's pretty good, but didn't seem sold on him making the NHL. This was in his OHL draft year though, things could have changed. And we're not experts over here.

Saw him as the 11th skater in the OHL on the CSS list, so thats gotta mean something

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
how does he compare to Biggs in that respect? The same thought crossed my mind, but they seem like pretty similar players. Having said that, I've never seen either of them play, this is entirely based on what I've read

Wilson seems to have skills. Biggs on the other hand..

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
how does he compare to Biggs in that respect? The same thought crossed my mind, but they seem like pretty similar players. Having said that, I've never seen either of them play, this is entirely based on what I've read

Not as good of a skater as Biggs, nor is he as "consistently" aggressive, but I think he's more skilled and has a much higher chance of becoming a top-six forward than Biggs does.

BrownBeaut*

photo.php

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
Have been watching Wilson for the past two years on the Whalers and here are my thoughts on him...

Wilson is a powerforward who is very strong on his feet, he has a heavy shot but his release is pretty slow. What I like about his game is the way he battles for pucks and controls the puck using his big body. Wilson has definitely made a large improvement from last year to this year he skates much smoother now. He needs to work on his agility and shot release and he could be deadly. What is good for a guy like Wilson is that he can fit on any 4 lines of an NHL team because he is a very heavy hitter and he will drop the mitts to stand up for a team mate. If Wilson works on his weaknesses this is no telling where he could endup on a NHL roster but I will go with a 2nd Line powerforward if he reaches his potential. I would guess late first round early 2nd round in this draft..

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
gotta agree with the other guys, hes this tough and has the skills, seems like a leafs pick no doubt.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Wilson's offense really fell off apparently if he had 14 points in 16 games. He stands at 21 in 39 games now. 7 in his last 23 games. That late first round diagnosis may have been a bit premature, but stranger things have happened.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Saw him for the 4th time over the weekend in the 8-0 blowout but his game really hasnt changed much. His skating is very average and he doesnt hustle on a consistent basis. I personally wouldnt spend a first on him at this point. He's got a heavy shot but as mentioned its a pretty slow release. He just does not look like a player who wants to prove he's a first rounder.

member 30781

I've heard him compared to players like Lucic, Clowe and Backes. Are those close/fair assumptions for the skillset that Wilson possesses?

I'd have to say he is closest to Biggs in terms of players drafted last year. I feel he has the potential to get pick as high as Biggs was, and if a team likes him enough, maybe a few spots higher.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
I've heard him compared to players like Lucic, Clowe and Backes. Are those close/fair assumptions for the skillset that Wilson possesses?

I'd have to say he is closest to Biggs in terms of players drafted last year. I feel he has the potential to get pick as high as Biggs was, and if a team likes him enough, maybe a few spots higher.

Id tend to say hes closer to lucic from what ive seen, he doesnt have the skating biggs has, and he has the tendency to cross the "line" more IMO.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com

Gun to the head, i'd say Clowe out of those three. He's tough to really gauge. One game he's skating "Meh" the next game it looks better, then you see a third game and its back to "meh"..

MPStoEberletoHall*

Tom Wilson

Whats his Potencial? Where do people think he will get picked in the draft? How does he play and who's an NHL comparison. I'd love the Oilers to grab him with our 2nd pick, from what I've heard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad