RW Stefan Noesen (2011, 21st OA, OTT; traded to ANA)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Just want to get some more thoughts on this kid from the OHL community. I have watched him for the past 3 years now, and his transition from tier-1 to the OHL took a bit of time. Now it looks as if he is one of Plymouth's bigtime players, and he is starting to produce with the ice time he has been given.

Do you guys feel that this kid not only lands a top 60 spot in the upcoming draft, but maybe sniffs his way into the first round? He is averaging over a point a game, and he already smoked his previous season high in about 20 less games to boot! At nearly 6'2 195 and with an edge to his game, can Noesen make a case for the first round?

Thanks OHL and Plymouth fans...

LucicIsABeast

Dec 7, 2008
Lville IL
Just want to get some more thoughts on this kid from the OHL community. I have watched him for the past 3 years now, and his transition from tier-1 to the OHL took a bit of time. Now it looks as if he is one of Plymouth's bigtime players, and he is starting to produce with the ice time he has been given.

Do you guys feel that this kid not only lands a top 60 spot in the upcoming draft, but maybe sniffs his way into the first round? He is averaging over a point a game, and he already smoked his previous season high in about 20 less games to boot! At nearly 6'2 195 and with an edge to his game, can Noesen make a case for the first round?

Thanks OHL and Plymouth fans...

Heh, thats my girlfriends cousin, I am kind of stunned someone mentioned him. I watched his stats last year and it looked like he didn't get a lot of time and with the time he got, didnt produce much. But in the end, don't watch him play (at all even) so I guess my judgement should be passed lol.

PS his stats are looking good currently.

shotandagoal

Dec 29, 2008
He should be getting top two round looks for sure. He has been an absolute workhorse for the Whalers. He is now leading the team in scoring, goes to the net, gets dirty and works very well with Czarnik. Putting up similar or better numbers than a lot of the other more hyped players.

kdb527

Nov 16, 2010
Does anyone have more info on this kid. He dominated play against Saad and Trocheck the other night in Plymouth? What is his up side potential?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I really like him as a player.

Last year he was strictly an energy player for a deep Plymouth squad. When he played, he was noticeable for his hustle, forechecking ability and general tenacity on the ice.

This year, the offensive game has really come around with the increased ice time and confidence. He's still a very hard working player, but he's also proved that he can play the skill game too. Sees the ice well, good hands in close. A really complete player who should definitely be an NHL'er in some capacity.

Where he goes in the NHL draft probably depends on what an NHL team believes his offensive upside is. If he keeps playing as well as he has, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a late first round/early second round candidate. I'd definitely put him in that group of OHL players also being talked about in that range (Jenner, Catenacci, Lessio, Jensen, Rieder, Trocheck).

G-Double

Aug 5, 2002
left coast
Visit site

I'm generally not one to make this type of comment, but the writing and lack of editing in that article is absolutely atrocious.

About the article itself, it's interesting to see a prospect in his draft year come right out and attribute so much of his success and such a strong affinity to a particular NHL team. I'm not surprised to learn that a player grew up with a favorite team, they typically do. However, Noesen went a quite a bit further than that in his discussion of the Stars.

Never having seen him play I can only say that it is nice to hear about a kid from a non-traditional US hockey market succeeding so far from home and against good competition.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Nice to see two Texans that are probably going to go fairly high this year with Colin Jacobs and Noesen. Texas, along with California, hopefully continuing their surge in developing talent.

shotandagoal

Dec 29, 2008
Update: A lot of people overlooking Noesen. Five point night the other night. Continues to impress and consistently produces. (27-34-61) Don't be surprised if he ends up going in the back half of round one. A lot of teams including USA hockey in to see him lately. Why is he being overlooked?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Update: A lot of people overlooking Noesen. Five point night the other night. Continues to impress and consistently produces. (27-34-61) Don't be surprised if he ends up going in the back half of round one. A lot of teams including USA hockey in to see him lately. Why is he being overlooked?

not so sure. maybe some just arent convinced what kind of offensive skills he will have at the pro level. the kid plays a solid all around game, and has been one of the biggest surprises in the OHL. I would be very happy if he makes the first round, but he seriously needs more hype then what he has been getting, which is almost nothing on this site.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks

perhaps, but not hockey people.

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Noesen plays the wing but often takes face-offs, and he's actually pretty good in the faceoff circle. In the three viewings I saw of him before I sadly relocated to Indiana, he was very impressive in the face-off circle.

I've never seen him on his natural wing... every game I saw it was

Noesen - Czarnik - Meurs

So I'm not sure if the above poster has seen him in a different game where Velucci had him on the right side.

Other then that, he's a pretty gritty player... does a lot of the little things like finish checks and win board battles. He's usually one of the most physical guys on the ice.

Pretty good skater but not overly creative, pretty much just a north/south guy who knows his role. I don't know if he'll be a big scorer at the next level because he doesn't have the natural talent that some guys do, but when you factor in his competitiveness, I think he'll find his way to at least the 3rd line.

In a way he's kind of like Clutterbuck, but doesn't quite run around as much and doesn't 'wow' you as much with the type of game-changing hits Clutterbuck is known for.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Noesen plays the wing but often takes face-offs, and he's actually pretty good in the faceoff circle. In the three viewings I saw of him before I sadly relocated to Indiana, he was very impressive in the face-off circle.

Noesen - Czarnik - Meurs

So I'm not sure if the above poster has seen him in a different game where Velucci had him on the right side.

Other then that, he's a pretty gritty player... does a lot of the little things like finish checks and win board battles. He's usually one of the most physical guys on the ice.

Pretty good skater but not overly creative, pretty much just a north/south guy who knows his role. I don't know if he'll be a big scorer at the next level because he doesn't have the natural talent that some guys do, but when you factor in his competitiveness, I think he'll find his way to at least the 3rd line.

In a way he's kind of like Clutterbuck, but doesn't quite run around as much and doesn't 'wow' you as much with the type of game-changing hits Clutterbuck is known for.

Thanks for the report! Something like a Jarret Stoll GlenX mix?

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Thanks for the report! Something like a Jarret Stoll GlenX mix?

Yeah that could be accurate. Personally I really like Noesen, I wouldn't have a problem taking him at the end of the first round because he can play a role that translates to the NHL, and if he hits his potential, he's going to be a nice Top 6 guy to have.

There's a lot of question marks with a lot of the other players in that range as to how they'll translate to the next level.

Either way, I fully expect Noesen to be gone in the 30-40 range, he's a type of player that GM's will like and from what I know, I think he's a pretty good character guy off the ice.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Noesen - Czarnik - Meurs

Chris Kunitz maybe?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well --he's got some size 6'1 195 already...has 73 pts in 60GP (32g 41a) and has 70 PIm's and a +18...supposedly very adept on face-offs (but the ohl doesn't keep face-off stats so can't confirm this as poster above reports) --but I can tell you what Isaw from the 2 times i did watch Plymouth play this year --i) he pounces on opportunities / good hockey sense/helps team-mates/makes plays and can pot goals ii) has the strength/physicality /strong on his skates ...he back-checks...all of this should translate well to the NHl level ....perhaps his skating is not the top level scouts look for BUT he did not look slow to me ..maybe its just a first step problem he needs to improve on -but i think he makes up for it with the anticipation to get to the right positions to take advantage of opportunities in defensive lapses..

ANYWAY-I cannot believe he is only considered as 2nd rounder material ---it seems to me there are alot of first rounder hyped guys that he is at least of equal worthy consideration ...now perhaps scouts think some of these others are not yet showing their full potential and can get a lot better,whereas maybe they think Noesen while good now ,won't dramatically improve as much...

I have seen both Nicklas Jensen who ranks from 10-the high teens on several rankings and i think scouts think he will blossom even more than what they already see in him--but the fact is Noesen has produced better,is more physical,and seems to "get it" already-while Jensen is more inconsistent ...so I donot know why Noesen ranks so far behind on most lists...to me he should be a few spots from Jensen at the least,if not even ahead. Again it may just be scouts perception that Jensen has moreupside,while Noesen has developed faster and willnow level off...still --if you know a player already "gets it" isn;t that certainty of value vs. a player you hope will put it all togeher more consistently? Or it simply might be a skating issue ---an A vs. a B on skating ....but a B skater who seizes opportunities can be more effective than an A skater who sometimes fails to seize the opportunities...
if the former also commits to a work ethic then it should make up for a perceived lack of top end speed---as I said Noesen did not look slow at all to me-so if he's merely average or a bit above that-it should be good enough given all the other atributes he brinds tothe table.. So maybe he won't lift you out of your seat,BUT at he end of the day ,you look at the scoresheet and you see this guy contibuted..this guy helps his team in various aspects...this guy is a key cog in the TEAM meshing together..

In short-whatever NHL team gets Noesen is getting a good player..a good team player...I think a very safe bet to be an NHL'er anywhere on your top 3 lines..
He looks like a first rounder to me.

In contrast while i like the flashes i see from Jensen -I hink he is more off and on...the tools are there to do even more than we've seen so far.Thus the scouts rank high for upside...

Also in contrast --Brandon Saad seems to rank still as a late topten or somewhere in the middle ten of round one on a lot of lists..I don't see it.. Admittedly i've watched him only 3 times this year-but in each he never impressed me (maybe I caught him on bad nights) --but there is something I personally do not see in what I saw that justifies to me him even being a first rounder...I don't get what the scouts see in him--sorry.

So that's how i see it: Saad =overhyped/bust potential; Jensen could be a first line gem if he puts all his tools together consistently--if not may be just another unfulfilled promise ....Noesen--maybe not first line gem ,but surely 2nd or 3rd line regular contributor who could slide up to first line and "help" if needed if a first liner goes down with injury...He loooks like a safer bet for his game to translate to the NHl level ...so maybe willnot 'wow' you -but at the end of the day the points are on the scoresheet and his line does some damage to oponents.What i like most about Noesen is that he pounces on opprtunities -I am not impressed with guys who fail to anticipate chances or who somehow squander too many chances off defender mistakes --as I said Noesen comes out of nowhere to pounce on give-ways or loose pucks off lacsadaisical defenders and voila either he scores or he passes to line-mates for scores...this is an efficient hockey player who "gets it".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad