RW Spencer Watson - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2014, 209th, LAK)

thegutter

May 22, 2011
How good is this kid? Obviously early but hes got 8 points in 8 games. Looks like he scored around the same pace as jared Mccann in midget. Cant find any vids on youtube.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As part of the 2014 NHL Draft Series, Top Shelf prospects released a scouting report on Watson.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/05/12/2014-nhl-draft-profile-39-spencer-watson/

I disagree with the part in the write-up about Watson going to the tough areas to score goals. IMO, that was one area I found him disappointing this year. Too often, I felt he was invisible in games because he played too much on the perimeter.

I know he had some sort of injury down the stretch, but he was a ghost for most of the playoff series with Peterborough. Considering his skill level, you don't expect the guy to be so invisible, so much of a non-factor for the majority of the games. IMO, that goes back to my questions about whether he's got the willingness to get his nose dirty consistently.

He's got a legitimate goal scorer's touch, and he's got high end offensive IQ to know where to be and when to be there. I just think he needs to be more consistent about going to those tough areas. If he shows a bit more assertiveness in his game around the net, he could end up being a quality prospect, as he's certainly got the skill level.

-----

Also, minor issue, but the OP has him listed as LW in the thread title. He plays RW almost exclusively.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Also, minor issue, but the OP has him listed as LW in the thread title. He plays RW almost exclusively.

Excellent post, addresses all of the same concerns I have about his game. He got away from the style of play he had last year and at times this year where he produced by being opportunistic around the net and its really going to hurt his draft stock in June.

As far as the positional thing, it's sort of funny how most major publications credit all three members of the Ikonen-Bennett-Watson line as LW primarily, when they've been in tact in that formation for most of two seasons now.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Regardless of his size, I really want NJ to get him at the #41 pick if he's still available. He's an offensive guy we could use in the system.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Weak and perimeter. He definitely has skill with the puck but doesn't have the courage to use it. For a small guy this is not a recipe for success. Seeing him play a few games away from Bennett you wouldn't even know he was on the ice a lot of the time. I'm sure he could score a lot of points in the next few years but don't think he will be an NHL guy unless he grows a pair, just doesn't seem to be in his personality on the ice though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wow, Watson undrafted still? What went wrong here? I had him labelled for the 3rd round.

Small, not physical at all, and too often shied away from the tough areas on the ice and played too much on the perimeter. Maybe that was enough for NHL clubs to feel he was going to be your typical high scoring junior whose game didn't translate to the pros.

On the flip side, if he'd be more willing to go to the dirty areas of the ice and fully utilize his goal scorer's touch and hockey sense, the Kings could have a steal. All depends on Watson and how much he's willing to pay the price (IMO, he wasn't this past season).

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Yeah just checked back now. Just surprised how far he fell.

He wasn't the bravest guy but I mean he has a pretty good skillset to be picked earlier I thought. good hands, good shot and decent speed. Maybe a bit small but there were bigger risks throughout anyways.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Been a couple of years, improved his points total, and was at least on Team Canada's radar--has he gotten any bigger? I haven't gotten to see him much but seems pretty dynamic.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Been a couple of years, improved his points total, and was at least on Team Canada's radar--has he gotten any bigger? I haven't gotten to see him much but seems pretty dynamic.

He's still small; around 5'9 and hasn't really bulked up much. Maybe around 170 to 175 lbs.

He's clicked with Micheal Dal Colle. Since the trade, both guys have been lighting it up.

Watson's one of those guys who has a lot of skill -- hard shot, soft hands, good stickhandler -- and good hockey sense, but huge question marks about whether his game will translate to the NHL. One positive thing is he seems to mix it up more and goes into the corners more than he did in the past. He'll never been a board beast, but at least he's not shying away from finishing checks now or battling for the puck.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Absolutely thrashing the playoffs with Dal Colle, love to see it, hope he can translate this into being a good pro.

Someone on our board was asking about his size. I know it's not unusual to list guys bigger than they are, but he seems to be growing a lil more?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Absolutely thrashing the playoffs with Dal Colle, love to see it, hope he can translate this into being a good pro.

Someone on our board was asking about his size. I know it's not unusual to list guys bigger than they are, but he seems to be growing a lil more?

He may have put on a few pounds (he's still a bit slender), but he doesn't look any taller out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad