RW Shane Pinto - Lincoln Stars, USHL (2019, 32nd, OTT)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Wow! Just saw highlights from his games the past two weeks, strong and powerful player with a heavy shot. Pinto is a 6'2 185lb power forward with goal scoring ability. Didn't see a thread on him, but this kid definitely deserves some talk, he is tearing up the USHL right now, very impressive player.

Shane Pinto at eliteprospects.com

North Dakota recruit.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I've never seen him play outside of the AAPG, but his stats thus far are interesting indeed. He also had 7 points in 5 preseason games, so he seems to have adjusted pretty well to the USHL.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I've never seen him play outside of the AAPG, but his stats thus far are interesting indeed. He also had 7 points in 5 preseason games, so he seems to have adjusted pretty well to the USHL.
I knew he was decent but didn't expect this. He looks like a legit top 60 pick the past few weeks, hard to keep this pace up, but a lot of upside here and heading to a great program, so I wish him the best!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kid from the New York heading to North Dakota? That can't be too common can it? Will be an interesting guy to watch.
NoDak is a top program, they get kids from all over the place, but their typical crop of kids is obviously from North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Canada, and Illinois...also do pretty well getting some Cali and Colorado kids too...but yes, New York kids likely aren't picking North Dakota year in and out so he is definitely an interesting case.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
watched him again, and I have to say that Lincoln just has so little talent around him at forward. Slavin is a solid player who helps some, but Pinto is a near one man show there. Lincoln has solid defense though, they do not give up a lot of goals, but on pure offense it is Pinto and Slavin and that is about it..

Pinto still over a ppg pace, hope he gets more recognition as he isn't getting much help over there.

Reactions: derriko and JiggsNY

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm interested to see how he does at the World Junior A Challenge. Team USA has some pretty good skill on the team, especially up front.
yep, nice showcase for him. I am hoping what likely is the top trio in Mastrosimone, Brink, and Pinto can really stand out here. Nodler should do well here too. team has some talent, Miller and Johnson and the blue line is pretty high end as well..starts up /this weekend/next week IIRC, so hopefully we get some feeds to watch on this tournament.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I didn't love him at the WJAC. His tools were evident but he's pretty raw and a bit of a project. I saw him a couple of times in the USHL after that and he looked a lot better. He'll be interesting to follow.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Congrats Senators!!! you got a good one!!

I didn't love him at the WJAC. His tools were evident but he's pretty raw and a bit of a project. I saw him a couple of times in the USHL after that and he looked a lot better. He'll be interesting to follow.

As you both seem to have watched Pinto and Brink a ton, and you guys are two of my go to USA prospect guys to read, did Ottawa pick the wrong guy?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
As you both seem to have watched Pinto and Brink a ton, and you guys are two of my go to USA prospect guys to read, did Ottawa pick the wrong guy?
just ignore Billy the Kid here..lol..I kid..

I have been following Pinto since the start of his season, I am higher on him than most but Ottawa obviously saw a lot of what I saw - goes to the net, works hard, plays with very little talent for much of the year and still produces. he has your prototypical PF size, needs a bit of work on his overall skating and his offensive ceiling likely isn't that high, but for me I think he can be a David Backes type player - Ottawa obviously thinks so too.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I don't think they picked the wrong guy per se as I'm sure Ottawa's scouts have seen him play a lot more than I have. He's got good size and tools that are evident. He's just raw, which isn't surprising as I believe he didn't start playing hockey until later than normal and he's a late bloomer. He wasn't really on anyone's radar in any sense until the 2017/18 season when he had good stats in midget major hockey (same team as another late bloomer in Zachary Jones), but it was getting into the USHL and having a good year that actually established him as an NHL prospect.

Would I have taken him before Kaliyev or Brink? No, because I think they have higher upside and I prefer to draft for upside. But that doesn't mean Pinto may not actually have higher upside or end up being better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad