RW Sasha Mutala - Tri-City Americans, WHL (2019, 140th, COL)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Very talented kid who I've been impressed by whenever I've caught him play. Was a high pick in the WHL draft and is part of a loaded 2019 class out west. More of a playmaker at this point but can put the puck in the net as well. Had a great U-17 camp and has continued with a very good pre-season. Should be a big piece of the Americans going forward and one to watch for the 19 draft

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=290349

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The last name is common Finnish surname. Any idea about his heritage? Sounds like Fin-Rus hybrid to be honest. :)

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He had a really good U17 for team Black and was starting to get more opportunities with the Ams before this tourney so hopefully he uses the confidence and experience from it to have a strong rookie year

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Has missed some time early on but off to a good start and had a really good night tonight with a goal which was the OT winner on a really nice backhand shot. Also had an assist which gives him 7 points in 8 games. All around winger who scores at ppg should be a valuable asset come June

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The last name is common Finnish surname. Any idea about his heritage? Sounds like Fin-Rus hybrid to be honest. :)
Not sure what his dad is, but his mother is Korean - he spent summers in South Korea. Had a terrible unfortunate year, where his dad had a stroke and his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.

These situations obviously impact his play at times on the ice and why he fell after being considered a top 60-70 player in September. Good player, probably tops off as a mid-tier grinder, but some decent talent here.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Not sure what his dad is, but his mother is Korean - he spent summers in South Korea. Had a terrible unfortunate year, where his dad had a stroke and his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.

These situations obviously impact his play at times on the ice and why he fell after being considered a top 60-70 player in September. Good player, probably tops off as a mid-tier grinder, but some decent talent here.

At first read I thought his father had passed away but I guess that wasn't the case. Still ouch, for someone who's practically only had one parent I can certainly relate to that. I hope there's some kind of karma where he can turn all that misfortune into fortune and carve out a career in the NHL. Still rather strange name which would suggest that maybe his father was a Finn. I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Sounds more African the name, not a typical Finnish one.

It's a very rare Finnish surname. Just checked and there was only 23 people registered under that name at 2018. So it seems more than likely he doesn't have Finnish heritage after all.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He was dominant all game. I was expecting 80ish points from him this year but I might have underestimated if he even plays half as well as he did tonight going forward

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I remembering not caring much at all about this pick - any chance he makes a dent in the Avs roster at some point?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kid is having a good year. 35GP- 12G, 30A, 42P on a bad team.
He's having a very good season, but I also think some context is needed here. I am not trying to downplay him, but since Tri-City is quite bad and super top heavy he gets very heavy minutes on the powerplay and offensive zone draws. He's at least cashing on the opportunity the TC coaching staff is giving him, so that's a positive.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
39 games played, has scored about 50 points, has doubled his point production from last season. 0.63 ppg -> 1.24 ppg.
pace for about 85 points this season, btw. he is still 18 years old and will be such the remaining of the season.

Plays for one of the worst teams in the WHL, at least at the moment (5th worst record),
Tri-City has won only 2 from their last 15 games.

Leads his team in points,goals,assists,sog, pp g, pp a, gw g, ppg
(probably because of trades)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad