RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm interested to see how he does this season.

I wasn't as high on him as some were going into the draft. I think he will be a good top 6 player but I wasn't surprised to see him fall a bit.

I'm not worried he hasn't exploded out of the gate, but I hope he can find his game & get rolling.

His shot is undeniably amazing. Its fun to watch when he has a chance to fire it. I'm excited to see him in a prominent role for the US @ the WJC this year.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
people need to look around college hockey right now, scoring is down, and the top kids ALL are either not getting the minutes or their teams are struggling overall..even Quinn Hughes hasn't been producing like expected...thins typically open up more second half as teams start playing their freshmen more...
Joel Farabee- 6 games, 3 points

Jay O'Brien- 5 games. 0 points.

Not like other forwards taken around Wahlstrom are lighting it up, either

Reactions: LordNeverLose

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Mathias emilio Pettersen, pick # 167, 6 games. 11 points.
K'Andre Miller, pick # 22, 8 games. 8 points.
Jack Drury, pick # 42, 3 game. 5 points.
:sarcasm::sarcasm:
Not sure why the /s since you make a very valid point, there are other young players that are having no problem putting up the points...especially that young freshman dman who was taken at 22.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Just goes to show you how inflated scoring is for USDP players in comparison to just plain USHL players.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Not sure why the /s since you make a very valid point, there are other young players that are having no problem putting up the points...especially that young freshman dman who was taken at 22.
it is not a valid point. of course there are going to be other players who can produce better right away because they are on inferior teams or have coaches that actually play them in top roles as freshmen. most of the top programs do not play true freshman right out the gate unless you are near elite, they build their teams through their older players and reward them with the ice time first and foremost. top programs attract top players because of this as these schools win and are top prestigious programs, as you have to earn your ice time.

good for all the kids doing well out the gate, but they are not better players just because of their early stat lines lol...every school and conference is completely different than each other.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Mathias emilio Pettersen, pick # 167, 6 games. 11 points.
K'Andre Miller, pick # 22, 8 games. 8 points.
Jack Drury, pick # 42, 3 game. 5 points.
:sarcasm::sarcasm:
This makes me so happy. Rangers fans were expecting a Kravtsov x Whalstrom showdown for years down the road. Wall E has to pick up his pace, not looking good right now.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
it is not a valid point. of course there are going to be other players who can produce better right away because they are on inferior teams or have coaches that actually play them in top roles as freshmen. most of the top programs do not play true freshman right out the gate unless you are near elite, they build their teams through their older players and reward them with the ice time first and foremost. top programs attract top players because of this as these schools win and are top prestigious programs, as you have to earn your ice time.

good for all the kids doing well out the gate, but they are not better players just because of their early stat lines lol...every school and conference is completely different than each other.
LOL BC has always had one of the best hockey programs. Stop making excuses for his lousy start.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It was very clear what I said.
no it isn't, the only thing that is clear, is that you don't watch college hockey overall, don't understand how it works for the majority of young players, and certainly have not watched BC this year...you think Wahlstrom, Farabee, and O'Brien are all struggling?? not as talented as originally thought??

I do not know why I waste my time on people that have zero understanding of college hockey and only stat watch...it is the same nonsense over and over again...we heard this nonsense with Brady Tkachuk and Mittelstadt as well, by those that just look up stats and think players are just struggling without understanding overall usage for freshmen/supporting cast at these programs.

since you obviously are so smart with NCAA hockey, and have obviously followed it for years, I would like you to explain Kieffer Bellows for me...you know, the 1st round pick that played at BU, was a very highly touted player, 19th overall selection, but struggled mightily in his freshman year...please explain why he struggled, why he left BU, and why he then destroyed the WHL the very next season???

I am sure you will have another wonderful answer/reply for him and countless other examples that show those that purely stat watch NCAA true freshmen, will look foolish time and time again...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
no it isn't, the only thing that is clear, is that you don't watch college hockey overall, don't understand how it works for the majority of young players, and certainly have not watched BC this year...you think Wahlstrom, Farabee, and O'Brien are all struggling?? not as talented as originally thought??

I do not know why I waste my time on people that have zero understanding of college hockey and only stat watch...it is the same nonsense over and over again...we heard this nonsense with Brady Tkachuk and Mittelstadt as well, by those that just look up stats and think players are just struggling without understanding overall usage for freshmen at these programs.

since you obviously are so smart with NCAA hockey, and have obviously followed it for years, I would like you to explain Kieffer Bellows for me...you know, the 1st round pick that played at BU, was a very highly touted player, 19th overall selection, but struggled mightily in his freshman year...please explain why he struggled, why he left BU, and why he then destroyed the WHL the very next season???

I am sure you will have another wonderful answer/reply for him and countless other examples that show those that purely stat watch NCAA true freshmen, will look foolish time and time again...

Sure, because he wasnt strong enough for the NCAA his freshman year and there are much weaker players in the WHL. Oliver is 200 pounds, so that's not the problem. Maybe there was a reason why so many teams passed on him? Once though to be a top 5 pick.

All i here from you are excuses excuses and some more excuses for his poor start. And he's getting PLENTY of ice time and PP time...so whats the excuse now?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
yep, got it....I am done here.

First off, i think Wahlstrom will be fine. Hes not a guy who is going to dominate a game by himself. Stick him with someone who can feed him and he’ll score. Seems to be kindof a streaky player. His lack of production isnt really concerning, it will come. But its not because of a lack of ice time like you suggested, hes been a top 6 and pp guy the whole year so far. And the prestigous programs dont really build thru the older players, their top guys are usually their younger players and the coaches know they probably wont have them for long

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Small sample size, snakebit, overall team scoring drought explains his current stats.

Since the start of the year, he has a 3.7% shooting percentage. Averages 4.5 shots per game. In six games, BC has been shutout three times and scored only one goal in another. With a 10% shooting percentage, he'd have 3 goals (instead of one). Considering his shot, his shooting percentage should eventually be over 10%. Also, he's bound to pick up assists from returns from his shots when BC starts scoring more (as a team).

Kopitar started the year with 2 points in 7 games, that doesn't make him a bad player. Stats aren't always aligned with the quality of play of players, especially small samples.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Small sample size, snakebit, overall team scoring drought explains his current stats.

Since the start of the year, he has a 3.7% shooting percentage. Averages 4.5 shots per game. In six games, BC has been shutout three times and scored only one goal in another. With a 10% shooting percentage, he'd have 3 goals (instead of one). Considering his shot, his shooting percentage should eventually be over 10%. Also, he's bound to pick up assists from returns from his shots when BC starts scoring more (as a team).

Kopitar started the year with 2 points in 7 games, that doesn't make him a bad player. Stats aren't always aligned with the quality of play of players, especially small samples.

It's true.

BC sucks this year and he won't stay stuck at 1 goal forever.

But aside from that, I think his one-dimensionality becomes really magnified when he goes through stretches like this. It's a hell of a dimension and something that will bring him success at the NHL level, but hes pretty limited.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
You are obsessed with everything Flyers related.

Why is that?
You are so obsessed with my posting habits.

Why is that? Hop off. Seriously, feel free to mute or block me

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
First off, i think Wahlstrom will be fine. Hes not a guy who is going to dominate a game by himself. Stick him with someone who can feed him and he’ll score. Seems to be kindof a streaky player. His lack of production isnt really concerning, it will come. But its not because of a lack of ice time like you suggested, hes been a top 6 and pp guy the whole year so far. And the prestigous programs dont really build thru the older players, their top guys are usually their younger players and the coaches know they probably wont have them for long
ice time/supporting cast is what I said for Wahlstrom and that is his issue. BC is a mess, they just aren't that talented overall, and Wall-E is not getting top line minutes nor top power play minutes every game. he is an offensive minded power forward and guys like him, Bellows, Tuch, etc have historically struggled at the NCAA ranks early on because they typically aren't getting top line minutes to dominate like they were used to.

these guys aren't on the pk and are fighting with less skilled upper classmen for ice time. yes, these prestigious programs are playing upper classmen more, because the coach's job is to win games (he gets paid a shit load of money to keep his job), and playing 20-22 year olds most nights on your top lines, typically does that. the majority of their top scorers are their older players lol...only Hutsko who is a year older than Wall-E is ahead of him scoring wise as a forward close to his birth year. Hockey East is notorious for this. there is no worse signal being sent to a team that has worked in your program for years only to ice kids right off the street over them...if you havent played sports at the NCAA level, not sure you would understand this.

the examples are endless for more talented players struggling early on in college due to usage/line mates than those tearing up the league out the gate. it is why you see many of these kids leave the NCAA completely for the OHL/WHL/Q and put up dominating numbers there...it is a fact. not every kid that struggles is due to usage/linemates, some just bottom out...Wall-E has some things to work on, but you NEVER judge these kids in their first year (certainly not 6 games in lol)..you judge college players half way through their sophomore year and beyond as if they are not trajecting upwards statistically at that point, that is when you start to worry a bit. people are stat watching here just like they did with Tkachuk and Mittelstadt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad