RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It's not a joke. I know of high schools that gave their student-athletes passing grades because of their post-secondary commitments.

I think he is laughing at the notion of Universities not handing out passing grades for their star players.

crazyaces**

He's not wrong. It happens all the time with star athletes in high school. Teachers will just give out better grades so the kid can play in the big game against the cross town rival, things like that.

I've actually seen this with my own, eyes. My friend was a star athlete for our school and I remember he got an assignment handed back to him and it was marked perfect, but was woefully incomplete! He was confused, but LoL

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Shouldn't the title of this thread be

Oliver Wahlstrom, North Yarmouth Academy, NYA (Draft 2018)

lol

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
His dad went to U of Maine so it's less surprising. They're using it to get some publicity, even if he gets cut a week into the 2019 season, people will be talking about him & U of Maine for years now lol

I remember hearing a kid around this age who was an early star football player committing to an NCAA school.

are you talking about the 11 year old who committed to USC? Its freaking ridiculous... Why do organizations do this, you have no idea how these atheletes are going to develop, and hell, I wouldnt be surprised if he ditches it to play in the CHL

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Is nobody talking about the ridiculous size for this kid? LOL

"Wahlstrom, a 5’9 155lb seventh grader"

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Was it a written or verbal commitment? He could always change his mind too, happens all the time. It'd suck if he stops growing, kid has Jurco like hands.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I assume he has dual citizenship, do you think his Dad will pull for Sweden or do you think since he's firmly planted in the US he will push for US?

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Is nobody talking about the ridiculous size for this kid? LOL

"Wahlstrom, a 5’9 155lb seventh grader"

The height is not that unusual, though he's certainly got some impressive mass for his age. I was just about that height in my early teens, though I was some 50 pounds lighter:laugh:. I grew up to be 6'3.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Hands of Americans. We'll dress him up in in the blue/yellow WJC and then you cant have him back, even if the kids want's it or not. :p::p::p:

Last edited:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I assume he has dual citizenship, do you think his Dad will pull for Sweden or do you think since he's firmly planted in the US he will push for US?

The kid himself is probably very American, but you never know, the blue/yellow stripes can sit deep sometimes, just look at Alex Steen. Steen is perhaps a bit special though as his dad was a former Tre Kronor player. Plus obviously it's easier to get to play for Sweden than for Canada.

Guess it comes down to how connected to Sweden his dad is. He certainly had a Swedish accent. :laugh:

All this if he actually is going to be good enough to play for either Sweden or USA.

AE

May 10, 2010

Seems like he's pushing for Sweden...

"Jag vill att han ska spela i Sverige i framtiden och jag har redan pratat med Tommy Boustedt på Svenska Ishockeyförbundet om det. "

"I want him to play for Sweden, I've already talked to Tommy Boustedt [Swedish NT GM] about it."

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/article14320164.ab

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Seems like he's pushing for Sweden...

"Jag vill att han ska spela i Sverige i framtiden och jag har redan pratat med Tommy Boustedt på Svenska Ishockeyförbundet om det. "

"I want him to play for Sweden, I've already talked to Tommy Boustedt [Swedish NT GM] about it."

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/article14320164.ab

Gee I can totally see him torn about playing for the USA or for Sweden, even though he says here he wants to play for Sweden, he is still probably very much an American, non-Swedish speaker and all...

I wish him good luck in the future either way.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think he is laughing at the notion of Universities not handing out passing grades for their star players.

Oh okay then.

Still, universities do that as well. Do you know how much institutions make by having their teams play and win in national tournaments?

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
If an NHL team drafts an 18 year old kid he might now ever play for the organization let alone get signed. There are out clauses to big NCAA contracts which would protect him and the university.

The next Omark....LOL.....scholarship for lacrosse? I'm just kidding. He still only a child. No pressure kid....

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Wahlstrom article in February's NEHJ .. What age is too young?
Wahlstrom is currently a 5-foot-9, 155-pound left wing on the top line of the varsity at North Yarmouth Academy.

“Oliver is a very special player who has done well for us this year despite facing much older competition,” NYA coach Eric Graham said in his school’s press release. “His skating ability and ice awareness have allowed him to not only compete at the prep level, but get noticeably better in every game he’s played. His skill set is exceptional, and his approach to the game is mature well beyond his years. As serious as he is about hockey, he has a pure love of the sport which becomes clear whenever he steps on the ice. He loves scoring goals, and he loves having the puck on his stick.”

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I watched one of Wahlstrom's games at the World Selects 2000 born tournament. He scored three goals against Finland and seemed to be big, skilled and showed some excellent shooting abilities. It will be interesting to see how he develops, that's for sure.

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
I watched one of Wahlstrom's games at the World Selects 2000 born tournament. He scored three goals against Finland and seemed to be big, skilled and showed some excellent shooting abilities. It will be interesting to see how he develops, that's for sure.

Saw anything of D-man Rasmus Sandin? One of the best players born 00 anyways.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
The height is not that unusual, though he's certainly got some impressive mass for his age. I was just about that height in my early teens, though I was some 50 pounds lighter:laugh:. I grew up to be 6'3.

yeah i was about 5'7" at 13 and grew to 6'1"; about the normal growth rate id say

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
Saw anything of D-man Rasmus Sandin? One of the best players born 00 anyways.

I focused mainly on Wahlstrom and Emilio Petterson, who scored the goals, but the whole Swedish team played very well. Finland was forced to take many penalties, however, their goaltending was solid, which kept the game tight. By the way, do you know how many of the top Swedish players does the selects team include?

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
I focused mainly on Wahlstrom and Emilio Petterson, who scored the goals, but the whole Swedish team played very well. Finland was forced to take many penalties, however, their goaltending was solid, which kept the game tight. By the way, do you know how many of the top Swedish players does the selects team include?
I've not seen so many of them, but Rasmus Sandin and Rasmus Dahlin is probably the two best swedish defender born 00 atm. Lukas Wernblom(son of Modo legend Magnus Wernblom) and Linus Skager is pretty good among the forwards but Oliver Wahlström is clearly the best swedish FW atm.

Reactions: vancityluongo

NEhockeycoach

Sep 9, 2012
A commitment at this age is absurd. Yes it's only verbal.

That aside, he is a heck of a player for his age. His skating is as good as any prospect that I can remember in this area. His hockey IQ is head and shoulders above his competition at this current level.

Keep an eye on him in the years to come.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
A commitment at this age is absurd. Yes it's only verbal.

That aside, he is a heck of a player for his age. His skating is as good as any prospect that I can remember in this area. His hockey IQ is head and shoulders above his competition at this current level.

Keep an eye on him in the years to come.
He beat Jon Merrill's record as the youngest college hockey recruit by more than a year. Two recruits younger than Merrill never made it to D1 college hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad