RW Oliver Bjorkstrand (2013, 89th, CBJ)

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
His point totals in the Danish league are very comparable to Nicklas Jensen at the same age to give a comparable. He is the best Danish player at his age. I don't know what his plans are for next year, but if he's serious about getting drafted early he should either go to Canada or Sweden. He seems to have natural instinct for getting goals and getting to areas where he can score goals. But I haven't seen him enough to give a full and accurate report on his game, hopefully someone who has seen him more can come by.

He also played at the U20 WJC this winter where he got two goals, one of which is on youtube.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
His point totals in the Danish league are very comparable to Nicklas Jensen at the same age to give a comparable. He is the best Danish player at his age. I don't know what his plans are for next year, but if he's serious about getting drafted early he should either go to Canada or Sweden. He seems to have natural instinct for getting goals and getting to areas where he can score goals. But I haven't seen him enough to give a full and accurate report on his game, hopefully someone who has seen him more can come by.

He also played at the U20 WJC this winter where he got two goals, one of which is on youtube.

Goalscorers goal right there, i have watched Denmarks two games in U18 and hes good, good movement of the puck and good in finishing plays. Need to gain muscle but he got plenty of time to do it so it shouldnt be a concern. Should go to Sweden, Frölunda or Rögle maybe. Frölunda for having lots of danes in their youth squads or Rögle for just being promoted and have a shot at senior hockey minutes.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Kristoffer Lauridsen?

Why do you mention him???

Back to Oliver Björkstrand.

As Jevo writes; he has fantastic instincs. He simply knows where to be in the offensive zone and has scored many goals on that account. Actually he was tied for 2nd most goals in the regular season on his team. Of course his good season can also be attributed his line mates. Most of the season he played on the second line together with his brother Patrick and 1993 prospect Tomas Spelling. But as his stats shows, it was justified he played there.

He has just won Danish League Rookie of the Year award like – among others - Peter Regin, Frans Nielsen and Nicklas Jensen has done before him.

In the Danish Cup final (that Herning won 3-1) he made two goles and was elected MVP (pokal-fighter).

Oliver Björkstrand international results not mentioned earlier:

2011/12 Continental Cup Group D – Herning (DEN), 25-27 November 2011
3GP, 1G, 2A, 3P

U20 4 Nations Tournament in Lida (BLR), 10-12 November 2011
With 3 goals he was top goal scorer on the team

U16 5 Nations Tournament, Rødovre (DEN), 6-9 April 2011
4GP, 4G, 7A, 11P – Most points in the tournament

U16 Nordic Cup 2010, Skien (NOR), 17-19 December 2010
He scored 4 of the 5 Danish goals in the tournament (2 of them SH)

Last edited:

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
Just saw yesterdays game vs. Latvia. Pretty sure Bjorkstrand scored the second danish goal, which would change his stats to 5GP 4G 2A 6P.

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
Just saw yesterdays game vs. Latvia. Pretty sure Bjorkstrand scored the second danish goal, which would change his stats to 5GP 4G 2A 6P.

IIHF hasn't changed the Game report so I guess I was wrong. However, Bjorkstrand scored Denmarks lone goals in their final match against Switzerland.

6gp 4g 3a 7p

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Sniper, sniper, sniper.... sniper!

He's got one hell of a shot and he knows how to get his chances. Not as the same type as Nicklas Jensen IMO. Not as physical. But I sence the offensive talent is strong with this one.

Would be fun to see him in the Danish league for another year but he should consider leaving for either Sweden or NA in order to get drafted in some of the first rounds. It might be tough to leave his coach(Father Tood Bjorkstrand) and his center(Brother Patrick Bjorkstrand) though...

Oh and how is Thomas Spelling a 2013 prospect? He was eligible for the 2011 draft if I remember correctly?

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
If he's serious about getting drafted early, he should leave Denmark. Personally I think Sweden would be the best for him, he's still quite small and that could be a bigger disadvantage in Canada.

No one said Spelling was a 2013 prospect, one guy said he was a 1993 generation prospect. And yes he was first time eligible in 2011.

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
Bump.

Apparently, he has just made a statement that he wont be moving to NA the next couple of years. Will stay in Denmark this upcoming season. I guess that will make him drop at the CHL Import Draft.
Didn't mention Sweden at all so I guess that could be an option next year.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Bump.

Apparently, he has just made a statement that he wont be moving to NA the next couple of years. Will stay in Denmark this upcoming season. I guess that will make him drop at the CHL Import Draft.
Didn't mention Sweden at all so I guess that could be an option next year.

That is not a very good choice? Why would he shut down the possibility to move to NA for several years?

Looks like we have a case of Mom & dad's boy, afraid to leave home?

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
No one said Spelling was a 2013 prospect, one guy said he was a 1993 generation prospect. And yes he was first time eligible in 2011.

Wow I misread earlier in this thread... Sorry about that YesSir :)

Sad news IMO that Oliver Bjorkstrand signed with Herning. IMO he should have gone for Sweden.

With him and Frederik Andersen making two wrong decisions IMO our hopes to expand our NHL-group further the next couple of years took a couple of hits(Go Lauridsen). Hope both guys succeed in taking the long way around and makes it to the big show when they're ready. I just can see what's keeping them from trying to take on the next challenge by now - but there could be things I don't know. It happens :)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
So what now? After being drafted by Jannik's ol team Portland Witnerhawks, is even going to consider them? Or have they wasted a draft pick?

I kinda think it is foolish of him to stay in Denmark!!! Will severely damage his drafting status!

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
So what now? After being drafted by Jannik's ol team Portland Witnerhawks, is even going to consider them? Or have they wasted a draft pick?

I kinda think it is foolish of him to stay in Denmark!!! Will severely damage his drafting status!
Portland has power and money, if they want Oliver badly enough, there's not much standing in their way....

I only saw him play once, but I was impressed. I don't know if he's strong enough for the rugged game of the WHL... After all I did see him in a pre-season... He's like the polar opposite of Nik Jensen..

Speilling is also not bad, could be a decent euro player.

Im not sure that Oliver Bjorkstrand will be an NHLer, he has potential, and was certainly on of the better players on the WJC team, but as of right now, I see him as a later pick.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He may be reluctant to leave because he's coached by his dad and plays on a line with his brother, if I'm not mistaken. Is that correct, or is that only during international tournaments? Either way, if he wants to be a top NHL draft pick he needs to go to the CHL or the SEL. If he's happy to remain in Denmark and become the best player he can be there, without having a worry about the NHL, than god bless him.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
He may be reluctant to leave because he's coached by his dad and plays on a line with his brother, if I'm not mistaken. Is that correct, or is that only during international tournaments? Either way, if he wants to be a top NHL draft pick he needs to go to the CHL or the SEL. If he's happy to remain in Denmark and become the best player he can be there, without having a worry about the NHL, than god bless him.

His brother has signed in Sweden for next season (Mora, Allsvenskan).

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

He is coached by his dad. But his brother and Thomas Spelling, whom he was regular linemates with, are both going to Sweden next season. I hope that will make him consider Portland, they have been great at developing young players these last few years. He is still quite small, mainly weight wise, but I still think playing in the CHL could be good for him, it could help him learn how he needs to develop his body and physical play going forward.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
I saw him play a couple of times at the WJC. He stood out on the Danish team in terms of skill and puck sense (no surprise there), on par with Jensens. Other teams seemed to target and check him closely, for what its worth.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I think he has already put pen to paper regarding another year in Herning, but that could be sorted out of Portland's got the money to buy him out... Should go. I his case I think some translation to the NA-style might be needed so a year more in the CHL would be the right career move if NHL is the prime target.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
He is coached by his dad. But his brother and Thomas Spelling, whom he was regular linemates with, are both going to Sweden next season. I hope that will make him consider Portland, they have been great at developing young players these last few years. He is still quite small, mainly weight wise, but I still think playing in the CHL could be good for him, it could help him learn how he needs to develop his body and physical play going forward.

Portland's strength and conditioning coach is great, too. Here's hoping that he makes the jump to the WHL.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
I admit that going to play in NA in his draft year would most certainly get him scouted a lot more than playing in the Danish league, but I am not sure that it would definitely be the best for him (or other European junior players).
It is of cause most hockey players dream to get to play in the NHL, but very few actually manage to do so. And many European junior hockey players are persuaded to go to NA to play junior hockey, because they are told that their chances to get to play in the NHL will be better if they take this route. Unfortunately this is a lie; there has been several studies showing that few European junior players will actually benefit going the NA route.
I am not saying that it could not be beneficial for Olivers draft stock to play in Portland, but I doubt he will develop better there than playing at least another year in the best Danish league. He still has a lot to learn, before necessary focusing on the physical aspect of the game. I doubt he will be able to break a NHL roster right after he is drafted, so he has no need for adjusting to the NA rink at the moment.
A better solution could be to play junior hockey in Sweden, that way he would get scouted more without having to adjust to the NA game. But still; playing against men in a professional league where he will get a lot of ice time and quality training, why is that so wrong?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad