RW Noel Gunler - Luleå HF, SHL (2020, 41st, CAR)

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
13th forward with no ice time in yesterday’s opener vs Växjö (3-1 w).
Unless Luleå suffers further injuries to its’ forwards, it seems unlikely Gunler will have a spot on the senior team lineup for very long.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
He had 9:44 of ice-time and 3 SOG in tonight’s 2-1 loss v. Örebro.

First time I noticed he was out there he immediately carried the puck offside, but I thought he grew into the game slightly. He got the bulk of his ice-time in the final period, after an injury to Filip Hållander as Luleå was chasing the gametier. Could’ve scored with some luck, but really I saw nothing spectacular from him tonight.

Next game’s Thursday vs. HV71. Given the mentioned injury to Hållander, Gunler should have a prime opportunity to prove his mettle.

Reactions: theslatcher

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He had 9:44 of ice-time and 3 SOG in tonight’s 2-1 loss v. Örebro.

First time I noticed he was out there he immediately carried the puck offside, but I thought he grew into the game slightly. He got the bulk of his ice-time in the final period, after an injury to Filip Hållander as Luleå was chasing the gametier. Could’ve scored with some luck, but really I saw nothing spectacular from him tonight.

Next game’s Thursday vs. HV71. Given the mentioned injury to Hållander, Gunler should have a prime opportunity to prove his mettle.
Completely missed Noel playing in this game, the swehockey roster didn't include him when I looked.

Really hope Luleå stops using him as 13th forward and either have him play on the main roster(which he very much should considering how Hållander's injury is looking), or loans him to an Allsvenskan team.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
He did well on that assist, displacing the checker and creating that shot lane for the defenseman.

He had around 10 minutes of ice time, almost exclusively in offensive situations. On this team, he does tend to look like the odd man out quite a bit. His teammates have experience that he lacks and it kind of shows, and it's telling in how he's receiving sheltered minutes. But having said that, in both games I think he's grown into it, and he really improved on the previous one tonight.

Last time around he struck me as too passive without possession. Positionally sound, but a bit inactive, anticipating the play but not making enough of an effort.

Tonight, there was some of that initially, but a few shifts in he looked more comfortable out there, and I'm glad it paid off for him in the form of an assist.

I hope he'll stay with Luleå for a while, I really can't think of a better environment for him to improve this season, if he makes it. With the injuries to Hållander and Larsson he'll have a bit of a trial session on a regular line ahead and I think what's expected is for him to earn his minutes and to work hard in all three zones, as with the rest of the team. "Bulan" wants to roll four lines that can do it all, Gunler's got to show that he fits into one of them.

dragovici

Dec 24, 2013
in orbit
Nice goal. Seems to go for that low blocker every time (on breakaways). Release is so quick that most keepers don’t even go to butterfly.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Gunler has more points than raymond so far which is surprising.

Not sure why everyone is so surprised. He had a higher ppg last year in the same league as Raymond and much higher goal scoring clip. I’ll never understand the big ranking gaps between Raymond and Gunler. The only explanation is his lack of a call to the Swedish national team which had nothing to do with his actual play. I have Raymond slightly higher right now because of his versatility, but it’s real close.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like a good player. Raymond seems entrenched near the top of the draft for 2020. Wonder if Gunler can stake his case for being an early pick in the 2020 draft.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Gunler is so good off the puck, reads the play way before it happens which makes him super effective on the forecheck. The myth that he's a one way player is one i'll fight to destroy because he's far from a one way player. SHOULD be a lock for the top 6 but won't be.

Reactions: AB13

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Why was Gunler left off Hlinka team and U18 team? Has a coach ever explained why he wasn't picked? Any legitimacy to rumour of attitude issues?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Why was Gunler left off Hlinka team and U18 team? Has a coach ever explained why he wasn't picked? Any legitimacy to rumour of attitude issues?

This year he was too old.

Last year he would have been one of the youngest players there.

Of course most top picks in that situation still makes it, but it is the explanation for him, ie had he been a couple of months younger he is of course the big star on those teams.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gunler wouldn’t have dressed for Frolunda, which is a team with much better depth than Luleå.

Not to take anything away from him, I think Gunler currently sits closer to 15 than 5, and that he will need to take another big step to really challenge for a higher single digit spot. He is a bit too much of a one dimensional scorer right now.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Not sure why he was left off u18s, i’m gonna get to the bottom of the attitude issue rumours at some point.

He’s an 01 so wasn’t eligible for Hlinka.

Reactions: Star Ocean

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
This year he was too old.

Last year he would have been one of the youngest players there.

Of course most top picks in that situation still makes it, but it is the explanation for him, ie had he been a couple of months younger he is of course the big star on those teams.
I am aware of the age restrictions for these tournaments. I was asking why was he left off in the years that he was eligible to be on the teams.

At 2018 Hlinka, both Holtz and Raymond were there and are younger than Gunler, so it's not simply an issue of age.

Last edited:

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Not sure why he was left off u18s, i’m gonna get to the bottom of the attitude issue rumours at some point.

He’s an 01 so wasn’t eligible for Hlinka.
I'd like to know more about that. I'm always suspicious of slights that aren't spelled out and that people don't stand behind. It's like they don't want the scrutiny.

As for the Hlinka question, I know he's a late birthday and wasn't eligible this year, but he was eligible in 2018 and wasn't on the team.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I'd like to know more about that. I'm always suspicious of slights that aren't spelled out and that people don't stand behind. It's like they don't want the scrutiny.

As for the Hlinka question, I know he's a late birthday and wasn't eligible this year, but he was eligible in 2018 and wasn't on the team.
Gonna dig into it as research before i write a profile on him, the only official ”proof” of attitude issues we have is when he pushed the ref which is kinda w/e, it happens.

Super excited about his on ice performances to start this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad