RW Nikolai Kovalenko (2018, 171st, COL)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It counts that way too:

Epitome of Kagarlitskiy, Kovalenko and AkBars in general this season. Kagarlitskiy for being successful no matter what he does. Kovalenko greatfully riding his coattails. And AkBars being otherwise pure shit by own standards, but in a game against Salavat everything goes in like it never should and we win:laugh:.

I'll take it.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
He’s scored 11 points (5G + 6A) in 18 games, matching his point total for all of last year (41 games).

Is he starting to develop into something some posters were hoping for or is it just a flash in the pan? I would love to get more insight on if he has a future in the NHL and if so in what capacity? I saw one poster who seems a bit down on him suggest that he’s top6 or bust; is that the case or does he have versatility throughout the lineup?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He’s scored 11 points (5G + 6A) in 18 games, matching his point total for all of last year (41 games).

Is he starting to develop into something some posters were hoping for or is it just a flash in the pan? I would love to get more insight on if he has a future in the NHL and if so in what capacity? I saw one poster who seems a bit down on him suggest that he’s top6 or bust; is that the case or does he have versatility throughout the lineup?
He is just continuing on the development path he has always been on. He would have scored more last year had he been given more TOI. This year, like Atas continuously mentions, his scoring is a bit inflated by his usage. He was always a player who skates well, works hard and bullies his way to the net.

"Top-6 or bust" is a terrible, absolutely out-to-lunch terrible evaluation of him as a prospect, I'd even go as far as asking maybe you mixed him up with someone. His absolute best-case scenario was low-end 2nd line forward (I think at this point it's safe to say he isn't going to get there) but way more realistically traits listed above make him into a good, useful bottom-6 player. Your typical low-risk, low-reward prospect. Although to be fair, from a pick #171 the reward is still pretty damn high.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
He is just continuing on the development path he has always been on. He would have scored more last year had he been given more TOI. This year, like Atas continuously mentions, his scoring is a bit inflated by his usage. He was always a player who skates well, works hard and bullies his way to the net.

"Top-6 or bust" is a terrible, absolutely out-to-lunch terrible evaluation of him as a prospect, I'd even go as far as asking maybe you mixed him up with someone. His absolute best-case scenario was low-end 2nd line forward (I think at this point it's safe to say he isn't going to get there) but way more realistically traits listed above make him into a good, useful bottom-6 player. Your typical low-risk, low-reward prospect. Although to be fair, from a pick #171 the reward is still pretty damn high.

Thanks for the breakdown!

No, not mixing him up. Atas said top 6 or bust and I thought that was a wild claim that went against what I had read previously. Here’s hoping he becomes a decent third line player in the NHL. Regardless, good to see he’s starting to have some success.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

When I put him in the Top6 or bust territory I meant his size. I doubt he can be any good on the bottom six on NHL level. He is no Selke candidate either. He is perfect for where he is now. He can play in the top six in the KHL with some creative players to do the thinking for him and pot in some goals. He sure has the energy and drive to do the dirty work too. If he is matched up gainst NHL defences though he might be not able to come through. He's gained muscle though. So yes, low risk low reward. There is still a possibility he might, just might do something in the NHL someday, but given his pick it would be no surprise both ways.

My honest projection for him is career KHLer who might give the NHL a try at some point, but not for long.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Happy for him. He needed at least some solid seasons in the K before moving to NA, playing for a team like Torpedo should do it.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
@Caser Has Kovalenko ever expressed a desire to come to N.America?

That extension until end of 23/24 kind of worries me

Nobody cared about him with his KHL "successes" before this season so he probably understood Avs weren't awaiting him eagerly. 171st picks aren't very popular after all. But if he keeps playing like he does right now the situation will change for sure, and of course he wants to play in the NHL.

QC4TheWin

Mar 4, 2011
Man, This kid seems ready for the NHL soon, very good development and progression in the KHL for him so far

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know he has a year left after this one on his KHL contract but is there any way out of that? Is it at all possible for Colorado to sign him for next season or maybe even for the remainder of this season like Radulov in Nashville that one year where the whole curfew thing happened.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I know he has a year left after this one on his KHL contract but is there any way out of that? Is it at all possible for Colorado to sign him for next season or maybe even for the remainder of this season like Radulov in Nashville that one year where the whole curfew thing happened.
Extremely unlikely, not to mention that it doesn't make too much sense for him to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad