RW Nikita Soshnikov (2012 undrafted; signed by TOR)

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Babcock was a big fan of his and apparently the biggest reason he got cut was communication issues and he needed to learn more English.

Some Leaf fans believe he will be one of the first call ups and could get some NHL time this year. He looks like he will be a good goal scorer in the future.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If I am not mistaken he was with Clune and Gauthier. Him having any points at all is quite good, consider how that line is likely deployed.

Once Brown and Nylander are back - he likely wont get much more mins; However, thankfully the big club will be in a position to promote internally after the deadline.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
One thing I like about Sosh, is that he has legit drive. He can play a fearless style, much like Grabovski, and if you compliment that with speed and skill(which he has), it's a pretty exciting product.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
Something to keep in mind about Soshnikov's offensive production is that he's spent almost this entire season playing on the Marlies shut-down line with Rich Clune and Frederik Gauthier---not exactly the most offensively talented members of the Leaf organization.

Even with that being the case though, he's tied for second on the Marlies in goals with 14 in 35 games. And that's the same number of goals he scored all of last season in the KHL (in 57 games). So, offensively, I think it's fair to say he's continued his development and taken a step forward this year.

His tenacious, gritty style also translates pretty well to the North American style of play, which is part of the reason he's excelled in a shut-down role this year.

As for his immediate NHL future, it's hard to say. The Leafs seem to have made it a point to not call up any of their actual forward prospects from the AHL this year. So, once they sell-off their rentals at the deadline, it remains to be seen whether they'll call up any prospects to the NHL roster, or whether they'll leave them with the Marlies for a Calder Cup run and finish out the NHL season with veteran call-ups like Rich Clune. Next year in training camp though, I expect he'll be given a long look for a bottom-6 spot on the Leafs.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Very good player.

His release is elite. He's also a tenacious two-way forward.

Very interesting prospect.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Something to keep in mind about Soshnikov's offensive production is that he's spent almost this entire season playing on the Marlies shut-down line with Rich Clune and Frederik Gauthier---not exactly the most offensively talented members of the Leaf organization.

Even with that being the case though, he's tied for second on the Marlies in goals with 14 in 35 games. And that's the same number of goals he scored all of last season in the KHL (in 57 games). So, offensively, I think it's fair to say he's continued his development and taken a step forward this year.

His tenacious, gritty style also translates pretty well to the North American style of play, which is part of the reason he's excelled in a shut-down role this year.

As for his immediate NHL future, it's hard to say. The Leafs seem to have made it a point to not call up any of their actual forward prospects from the AHL this year. So, once they sell-off their rentals at the deadline, it remains to be seen whether they'll call up any prospects to the NHL roster, or whether they'll leave them with the Marlies for a Calder Cup run and finish out the NHL season with veteran call-ups like Rich Clune. Next year in training camp though, I expect he'll be given a long look for a bottom-6 spot on the Leafs.

Great write-up! He's absolutely fearless on the ice and enough talent to put up decent points in his limited minutes. Because of his strong defensive game, I'd say he has a great chance at making the NHL in a bottom 6 role eventually, while his offensive talent gives him an outside chance at some top6 minutes. Similar to Komarov, his ceiling seems like a middle-six guy who can play all situations and contribute 30-40+ points. Doubt we see him in the NHL next year due to so many guys being ahead of him, personally I expect him to play a top6 role with a lot more offense on the Marlies. Intriguing prospect and a very fun player to watch.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Haven’t seen him play, but from the sound of it he looks like a 2-way guy with offensive ability. If Babcock develops a liking for him, I could definitely see him getting some games this year and sticking if he plays well

incognito Burrito*

He looked good in the few games I saw. I didn't know Toronto signed him already? I thought it was a ahl deal ? I guess I only saw the Toronto and thought ahl.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Does anyone know how his English is coming along? Apparently that was a huge stumbling block throughout the rookie tournament for him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Does anyone know how his English is coming along? Apparently that was a huge stumbling block throughout the rookie tournament for him.

Babcock really liked him but thought there was a language barrier, although if it gets good enough, there is always Komarov to help him along.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Kind of off topic, but this guy has a pretty crazy tape job on his stick. Unlike anyone ive ever seen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad