RW Nick Henry - Regina Pats, WHL (2017, 94th, COL)

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
So, I read the NHL central scouting "players to watch" list, where I found this guy. He was listed as a B (2nd/3rd round) prospect. He sparked my interest, but I can't really find any reports on him. The only videos I've seen of him have been highlights from the Pat's YT channel. So if anybody can fill me in, it would be greatly appreciated.

EP profile: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201705

Players to watch list: https://www.nhl.com/info/nhl-central-scouting-player-rankings

RandyBobandi

Apr 16, 2012
Saskatchewan
He's definitely having a good year over 30 goals and 70 plus points but I wonder if people are thinking that success is more of him riding shotgun to Sam Steel. Still he shouldn't be overlooked as a prospect because he does have skill and is having a good season but I'll say he gets picked in the 2nd round

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I think playing with the likes of Steel and Brooks has obviously helped his stats. Still a really good player, but more of a mid-late 2nd rounder to me.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
This guy sparked my interest while I was searching 2017 draft prospects who could become the next Mark Stone, I found this guy.
Although he has been riding shotgun to Sam Steel and Adam Brooks, 81pts in 72 games is very impressive for a 17 year old.
He projects to be a 4th-7th round pick, I was wondering if anyone has a scouting report on him and why he projects so low with the stats he has.

RandyBobandi

Apr 16, 2012
Saskatchewan
Had a great year last year as a 16 year old in the MJHL won the rookie of the year award there and has followed that up with another great year with the Pats scoring 35 goals. Everyone looks at the Pats team and thinks Steel and Brooks play together but they are actually on different lines. Henry plays with Steel so maybe that's why he is getting overlooked. I only made it to one game this year and I thought he looked good in it he's not the biggest guy but still 5"11 and 190 pounds. He passed up a chance to go the NCAA route to play with the Pats and I think it was a good choice. He finished 2nd in the WHL rookie scoring and after missing game 1 of the playoffs he scored in game 2. I don't know why he isn't getting more love but I still think he gets taken in the 2nd round

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
He definitely flies under the radar.

I think the Pats this year are dealing with a similar conundrum to the London Knights last year - there are a number of very good draft eligible players, but scouts/teams aren't sure how good they are on their own compared to the stacked team they're on.

If you look at their lineup, the top scorers are:

Steel (ANA)
Brooks (TOR)
Hobbs [D] (WSH)
Leedahl [OA] (Unaffiliated)
Henry (17 eligible)

So other than the big 3, and an overager, Henry was the top scorer in the regular season. Pretty damn good for a rookie, even if he is riding shotgun with Steel.

In addition to Henry, Jake Leschyshyn, Jonathan Smart, and Jordan Hollett are all eligible. All of them likely have slightly inflated statistics, but they're all lower in the rankings than I would expect due to team bias.

As for how Henry looks with regards to the "eye-test" - he looks decent in the games I've seen. He keeps up with the pace Steel sets, and knows how to find the right spots on the ice. He's definitely not the guy that drives the offense, but he certainly doesn't slow it down any. I'll keep a closer eye on him tonight to see if I can spot anything more detailed.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He played in the mjhl last season being an impact player at his age.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
So.. what happened here? 29 points in 53 games is brutal, injury?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Even with the Pats being a horrible team typical of post host years Henry has bounced back from his injury filled year last year with 3G+12A in 12 games. Involved in just over 50% of the teams goals so far and will be curious where he gets traded to at the WHL trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad