RW Moritz Elias - Nürnberg Ice Tigers, DEL (2022 Draft)

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Moritz Elias at eliteprospects.com

He is the younger brother of Florian Elias and has been playing in Nürnberg's bottom 6 this season. He is a product of the Alder Mannheim system and is only on loan with the Ice Tigers. He played both with the U16 and U17 German teams last year as a 15 year old. I would say he has a solid chance to make the Germany U20 roster next year. He is only 5'7" so that might some cause for concern in terms of getting drafted but he is still 16.

Video of his first DEL point here:

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Moritz Elias at eliteprospects.com

He is the younger brother of Florian Elias and has been playing in Nürnberg's bottom 6 this season. He is a product of the Alder Mannheim system and is only on loan with the Ice Tigers. He played both with the U16 and U17 German teams last year as a 15 year old. I would say he has a solid chance to make the Germany U20 roster next year. He is only 5'7" so that might some cause for concern in terms of getting drafted but he is still 16.

Video of his first DEL point here:

I think he’s only the 4th or 5th best German 04. Not really a world juniors candidate at this point. Even the best 04 is nowhere near a lock because they are not nearly as good as all the 2002s that played last year and then went on to be NHL picks.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I think he’s only the 4th or 5th best German 04. Not really a world juniors candidate at this point. Even the best 04 is nowhere near a lock because they are not nearly as good as all the 2002s that played last year and then went on to be NHL picks.

Yea I probably jumped the gun there but thanks for the insight. How would you rank the German 04s? Only other guys I've heard of are Hauf and Kechter.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Julian Lutz is the best German 2004 born player and its not even close IMO. I think he could be a top 15 pick in the 2022 NHL draft.

Julian Lutz at eliteprospects.com

Oh god that's embarrassing that I forgot Lutz was a 2004 born player (I literally made the HFBoards thread for him :shakehead). Just from a quick look the 04 German crop looks decent and should produce some drafted players. Lutz will be very interesting to follow next season assuming he makes the jump to the DEL.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Trav

Aug 2, 2005
Sounds like there's been discussions about him joining the team already which is positive. Do you guys in Germany think he'd be good in the WHL.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Sounds like there's been discussions about him joining the team already which is positive. Do you guys in Germany think he'd be good in the WHL.
He’s more talented than his brother, Florian.

I think he could be a productive player in the CHL, he’s small, not the best skater but is smart and uses his vision to find the open areas of the ice.

I however don’t like seeing German talent go and play in the CHL. I find it hurts them more than it would playing in the DEL or DEL-2.

Germany has seen an influx of talent start coming through the pipeline since 2014 when a complete overhaul was done with German hockey.

It also helps that DEL teams are permitted to have 2 skaters extra per game that are aged 23 and younger. This helps guys like Elias realize their potential more than moving to Canada.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he's the clear fourth of the four German kids viewed as having a chance of being drafted. His brother didn't get drafted for similar things he'll be criticized for, and his brother was productive in the WJC20. It may be a little harsh to knock a guy for not lighting up one tournament, but he wasn't that good at the Hlinka, even for the junior level. Maybe he proves me wrong, but I don't think this guy is a pick this upcoming season. Small, skating isn't great, and not that great of a scorer. I think his best chance is to do what his older brother did at the WJC20 and then be drafted as an overager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad