RW Mitch Holmberg - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2011 undrafted)

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
This kid is playing for Spokane in the WHL, he has 37 points in 15 games. He was born in 1993. Why wasn't he drafted? Sorry if there's a legit reason and I'm asking a dumb question.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
This kid is playing for Spokane in the WHL, he has 37 points in 15 games. He was born in 1993. Why wasn't he drafted? Sorry if there's a legit reason and I'm asking a dumb question.
Size and strength are the predominant factors as far as I'm aware. I've only see him play once, at the Subway Super Series in Victoria last year, and he wasn't very impressive there. Seemed to be easily muscled off the puck, kept to the outside, and made some bad plays when he couldn't outskate the opposition.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He's also an overager, and didn't really start taking off until the last couple years. He's got a good shot, but yeah, other than that, not impressed.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
52 in 22 games for this guy so far in WHL. Got to think he'll be signed soon.
It's actually 55 in 22

22-25-30-55 which equals 2.5 Points per game

Even in Shinnimin's overage year he only ended with

69-58-76-134 which equals a pedestrian 1.94 PPG

Now that said I basically agree with everyone who has posted above that he's going to be a U of A Golden Bear, ECHL, perhaps AHL or Europe bound. If for some strange reason though Holmberg could actually sustain 2.5 PPG for the entire season his stat line would end like this:

72-82-98-180

Perhaps if he actually sustained THAT we made need to revisit his NHL potential.

But let's be REAL that is NOT going to happen. Holmberg will be lucky to sustain somewhere between 140-155 pts because as the season wears on (just like in the NHL) it will be harder to score then it is now.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
35g 35a in 33 games

Slowing down.
Hell he could stop right now and have had a good season. Interested to see what happens with him.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
41-41-82 in 41 gp, leading the WHL in scoring. Gotta think he's gonna be picked up by someone!

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Surely someone's going to sign this guy, right?

It was mentioned on the other night's WHL on SHAW broadcast that Holmberg is planning on using former teammate Tyler Johnson as his blueprint.

There are undoubtedly some very fascinating parallels.
-Both played for Spokane, and were, in fact, teammates
-Neither was drafted by an NHL team during their draft eligible years.
-Their WHL careers see eerily similar production: Johnson had seasons of 35, 61, 71 pts before hitting 115 over his last four years; Holmberg put up 33, 55, 80, and is on pace for 125 or so.
-They're about the same size (Johnson: 5'9, 175; Holmberg: 5'10, 175), and both right-handed shooters

If I were Tampa I'd offer him a contract today. At best, you've unearthed another NHLer for nothing, like Johnson. At worst, you burn three years on him with your AHL team and don't qualify him.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'd love to see Dallas take a shot at him. Yeah he's kinda small but Dallas has several larger players so if he can score at the AHL level that's a good thing anyway and if it translates beyond that so much the better. Even as an overager his production is pretty darn nice. Besides Dallas has a good track record with CHL free agents.

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
@WHLfromAbove isn't very high on him, and stated he's no where near as skilled as Tyler Johnson.

Scroll down to Jan 25 conversation between Cody and @HockeyLegion

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
There's a couple overage Junior players setting fire to the stats boards every year. Ask Colton Yellow Horn, Justin Azevedo, Casey Pierro-Zabotel, and Thomas Beauregard how their NHL dreams shook out at the end of the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad