RW Michael Brandsegg-Nygard - Mora IK J20, J20 Nationell (2024 Draft)

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
It looks like Nygård is ranked as a mid-late 1st rounder by many outlets. I think he will be a big riser this season. I have him in my top 5 on my super early list. Love his game.
Can someone please explain “his game”?

Almost a full page of responses and yet no one has provided much of any substance in helping us understand how he plays.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Can someone please explain “his game”?

Almost a full page of responses and yet no one has provided much of any substance in helping us understand how he plays.
Sure - here’s what I wrote for Brock Otten’s Import Draft review about Nygård:

“Nygård is the most hyped Norwegian prospect, probably ever. He and fellow import draft selection Stian Solberg headline what is poised to be the best draft class in Norway’s history. Both players have potential to be first rounders come draft day - A feat that would be huge for the nation of Norway who’s highest NHL draft pick was Marius Holtet, who went 42nd overall in 2002. There are 3 defining attributes to Nygård, and that his IQ at both ends of the rink, his Motor, and his shot. Nygård is an extremely intelligent forward, he reads and reacts to plays at a high level, always positioning himself well to create offence in the offensive zone, or nullify it in the defensive end. His shot is excellent, if he is able to get time and space within 10 feet of the goal mouth, he’s going to make the other team pay more often than not, he is good at picking spots from in tight and isn’t afraid of getting his nose dirty. Then there is his motor, watching him, you’ll never see him give up on a play, he always has his feet moving trying to do whatever he can to help out. If Barrie is able to get Nygård over, that would be a massive get, he should come in and produce right away. He should spend the majority of the season playing against men with Mora IK, in the Swedish second division, however just like with Eduard Sale, things can change in a years time.”

Honestly, if I were to compare him to anyone, it’d probably be Nate Danielson.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Average skating, average shot, average IQ.
He is a Ethan Gauthier of this draft.
Interesting where you have seen him that much. Disagree on the shot and probably on IQ aswell, but well.

Anyway, on results only, he is middle first at least at the moment. Best 05 forward in Sweden, or 2nd best after Dvorsky.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
2 assists for Mora A-team today.
Maybe we finally can get a Norwegian drafted in the first round in 2024. That would be the first time ever. The current record is from 2002 when Marius Holtet was drafted as number 42
Have not been able to catch any full games of his, but based on scouting reports, mock drafts and highlights, seems he's a good bet for the 1st round, maybe even top 15. Teams will love his combo of motor/size/physicality, and seems like he has pretty good skill and smarts too.

Reactions: Joka12

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Some clips of him:

this looks like the kind of player that will definitely benefit from a smaller ice surface in NA, theres less room for players to escape his relentlessness, but his skating will need to get better from the looks of it. Maybe its the bigger ice and he just looks like he's not zoomin around, gonna keep my eye on him though,

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Does anyone have a scouting report and do his skills translate to higher levels?
Considering his numbers at his age and the junior league he is in, he is a very good prospect. Sweden just sort of changed the junior league making it more competitive, but based on his numbers and age he's in the Macro Kasper range (less complete player, but more offensive skill). He has a higher PPG than the likes of Simon Holmstrom, Liam Dower Nilsson, Gustav Nyquist, Jakub Vrana, and Jesper Bratt to name a few. The only thing is that he's a bit older than these players at the time he did it compared to them. Nonetheless, he should probably be one of the older players for the 2024 draft, but that's how the NHL has the draft structured so there is nothing he can do about it.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023

This kid is gonna be good at the pro level, and it might not be fully appreciated by most people right now. Leaves the net front to hit the puck carrier, goes right back to the front of the net. Im not sure who 43 is but hes not a small guy, MBN didnt even need to load up the 2nd hit he just always has his feet planted. He stays available for his teammates if they win their battles but he's ready to support them and engage. You could argue he left his coverage in the slot and if he misses that first hit the puck is going the other way and it's his man carrying it, but those were two beautiful hits and just really smart anticipation plays

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Absolutely love this player. He plays a heavy, up-tempo game, and has a great motor. Doesn't cheat for offense, plays in the pocket of other players, and generally plays a style that is unfun to play against.

For me, he's clearly a top 10 selection. I would like to see him get SHL games this year, but I'm not even sure that's possible.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Absolutely love this player. He plays a heavy, up-tempo game, and has a great motor. Doesn't cheat for offense, plays in the pocket of other players, and generally plays a style that is unfun to play against.

For me, he's clearly a top 10 selection. I would like to see him get SHL games this year, but I'm not even sure that's possible.
He will play in Allsvenskan, a good league on it's own

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
My prediction, barring a lotto win.. the Habs will be taking either him or Catton in the 2024 draft.
whoa there fella. i already called dibs in a different thread lol those 2+Cellarbrini are the forwards I have my eyes on, Levshunov and Jiricek are the D. you can have anyone else.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Scored a nice goal today coming down the wing & wiring one far-side top corner.

Its funny in watching the game I was very impressed with his quickness, his attention to detail defensively, his awareness on & off puck, but the one thing I hadn't seen was his shot.

First shot attempt I see & its a snipe. This kid is really good.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Scored a nice goal today coming down the wing & wiring one far-side top corner.

Its funny in watching the game I was very impressed with his quickness, his attention to detail defensively, his awareness on & off puck, but the one thing I hadn't seen was his shot.

First shot attempt I see & its a snipe. This kid is really good.
Is there a way to see his goal somewhere and the assist he got?

One of the few games i’m missing and he gets 2 points :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad