RW Martin Frk (2012, 49th, DET)

0123456789*

Martin Frk is a up and coming star from the Czech republic. He wont be drafted until 2012 but he has already been dominating in Czech juniors and international tournaments for the U17 team and the U18 team.
EDIT: Drafted 3rd overall in the CHL import draft by Halifax Moose Heads

He is still 16 years old until next October.

182cm/6'0 - 85kg/187lbs - 05-October-1993

Czech leagues

09-10 Juniors Playoffs 6games - 2goals - 3assists - 5points - +2 - PIM4

09-10 Juniors 38games - 28goals - 27assists - 55points - +9 - PIM184
leads his team this year in goals and points(almost double the next player) and is tied 4th in the league with goals and points. Leads league in PIM.

08-09 Juniors 16games - 8goals - 12assists - 20points - +7 - PIM6
had the highest ppg and gpg rate on the team.

08-09 Midget 22games - 26goals - 12assists - 38points - +10 - PIM85
just dominated

07-08 Midget Playoffs 2games - 1goal - 0assists - 1point - -2 - PIM4

07-08 Midget 44games - 25goals - 17assists - 42points - +24 - PIM56

National teams

09-10 U18 WC 6games - 2goals -5assists - 7points - +0 - PIM6
tied for team lead in points and selected as one of the top 3 players on the team.

09-10 U18 5games - 4goals - 2assists - 6points - +0 - PIM8
6 nations cup this February, led the team in goals and points.

09-10 U17 7games - 6goals - 3assists - 9points - +0 - PIM12
this august, led the team in goals and points.

08-09 U16 8games - 3goials - 5assists - 8points - +0 - PIM4
was one point behind the lead with 3 less games

07-08 U16 3games - 0goals - 0assists - 0poins - +0 - PIM2
Apparently played as a deffensman.

Articles about him that I translated in google and quickly touched up the parts google couldn't translate.

Article from January.
16 year old talent Martin Frk loves physical hockey, he takes advice from Melenovského to heart
21.01.10 | author: luká¹ Jáchim

Czech hockey currently does not emit as much talent as in the past, but there is still some talent to be found. One of the best talents is Karlovy vary attacker Martin Frk who is shining in juniors, even though last October he only celebrated his 16th birthday. The winger has everything a offensive player needs. Skating, courage, willingness to fight, drive and commitment. This predator from world-famous spa keeps rising up, and if from the speed of everything his head doesnt spin then he can accomplish big things.

Frk is doing amazing, just looking at the ongoing statistics in this year's juniors. Although he is three and four years younger than most opponents, he is staying on the 13th place overall point rankings. Member of the u17 team he played 26 games, in which he scored 16 goals and had another 21 assists. Taken together, this gives a total of 37 points. Similarly, successful was Frk in previous years, when he was huge in bantams.

What makes him so successful? "The coaches trust me, other players help me. The first twenty-games I played with the same colleagues, then there were alterations, but still it works, "he says. His qualities he modestly stays quite about. Not surprisingly, in 16 years, the player is still developing, however not surprisingly he still has lots to work on. "If there is one thing I could say I prioritize it would be contact hockey," he adds quietly.

He is right. Frk doesn't step away from contact with any opponent. If they only saw this young man on the other side of the Atlantic then they would think he was born in Canada. "In juniors I play against older players which at times is quite challenging. For me to adapt, I had to work hard on my self. Essentially every day the entire day I am at the ice rink, I practice, and train in the gym. I know that my style is based on conditioning, I really need my conditioning "he points out.

Today's modern hockey requires from attackers excellent movement, appropriate technique, stubbornness. And also enthusiasm. In particular in the NHL strength is important, players who between the boards decimate their opponents. Martin loves hockey, however, sometimes he alows himself to be torn down by his emotions. One such case cost him participation in the recent prestigious tournament U17 World Challenge in Canada. National team flew without him, although originally Frk was on the roster.

In a game against Brno he insulted the referee and had to be punished. "I screwed up and was punished for it. I didnt travel to Canada, and for some time I was benched at home. Of course I was unhappy, I really wanted to play in the tournament. I was excited but unfortunately. I know what I did agaisnt the referee was wrong, it was a important lessons for me. Next time, I will make sure I wont repeat this again," he promises convincingly.

The attacker's career as a skillful player is otherwise great. "I already began playing at a time when I was around two and a half years. My parents got me in to hockey in Humpolec. I was born in Pelhřimova, we lived in Humpolec, later we moved to Karlovy Vary. There I got in to better hockey, " he explains. Since his childhood he was always a forward and liked to score goals, and sometimes to setup his teammates.

As a boy had two idols. "I admired Alexander Ovechkin, out of our players i admired Mark Melenovského. He is also from Humpolce, in person, I know him. Mark gives me advice and discusses with me hockey. He is actually kind of my consultant. Every time a particular case comes up, we go over it and solve it. This helps me allot, " Thanks at a distance. In addition to hockey, he is trying to work on school. "So far its going good. I'm doing construction degree, I'm in the first year of study. We have a excellent director".

Although due to a disciplinary punishment not to go with the U17 team to Canada, trainers know about it over at the national team Kopecký with Juříkem. They plan to include Frk in the selection contest for February U18 tournament in Minsk, which will be important for the April World Championships. "It's a new motivation for me, I would love to ask for another chance. And a Championships? Now, this would be amazing " he makes no secret of his desire.

Even last year he was still playing in bantam, this year, he still belonged in bantam, but he is already in juniors. The gifted young man who keeps in perfect form, has a dream, for which he lives. "I'd like to get to the NHL. This League I watch on the Internet or on television. When I have time, I watch transmissions, or just look at statistics and sights. This is my number one hobby, my main goal".

Right now if he isnt playing or training, he likes other kinds of sport. Or he spends time with his girlfriend. But since he has many other commitments, like school and hockey, he often times doesnt find allot of time for his girlfriend. "I like to keep improving, I want to go step by step. Now juniors, I might get the chance in U18. Most importantly I have to work extremely hard on my self." He recognizes in conclusion.
http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?view=clanek&lng=CZ&id=46641

Article about his disqualification from this Januaries U17 team
Talented Martin Frk insulted the referee, he will not be flying to the u17 tournament in Canada 23.12.09 | author: luká¹ Jáchim grungier nejtalentovanějšÃ­m 3940,4

He is one of the most talented 93 born attackers and was even considered for the U18 invitation by the trainers, even though he belongs to a lower age group. Karlovy Vary's Frk was to go to Canada to the traditional U17 Hockey Challenge, which occurs after Christmas in Timminsu, but eventually remains at home. Why? "Martin Frk in a junior game got in to a serious argument with the referee. He insulted the referee, for which he received two more penalties. In agreement with the representatives of the team energy we decided that it disqualifies him from the team for this action, " informed coach Miroslav Prerost.

At first glance it may seem strict procedure, but has a great importance to the disciplines of young hockey players. "If Martin did this in this short tournament then it could have put the teams standings in danger. Frk is very talented hockey player with a big future, but must organize his head. Similar behavior, that he showed in the junior game, is clearly inadmissible, "adds Přerost.

Coach is confident that he will take lessons from the events Frk. "It's a pity for us, that he wont go to Canada, but in this case we want to be strict. We will not tolerate an argument with the referee, or other offensive expressions against the rules . We hope other hockey players take lesson from this. This is a warning to anyone who wants to behave similarly during hockey games. If someone else will do such a thing, he will also not be representing, "warns Přerost.

Frk does not have a closed door into the juniors national teams. "In a meeting with the Karlovy Vary managers we agreed that Martin wont go to Canada. We want him to control himslef on the ice and to develop good habits. His career is just starting and I would be personally very sad if he continued with such behaviour. I want to believe that everything will improve and he can concentrate only on hockey, "adds Přerost milo.

With Frks actions even Karlovy vary isnt happy. "Martin is a boy who loves hockey, give pretty much. Trains and plays at 100 percent. The biggest talent year 1993, but I refuse to sweep a incident under the carpet which he is guilty off. We regret that in the game in Brno, which was refereed by Homola, he again insulted the linesman. We had to ragovat, "explains Jiří Ryžuk, main coach of youth hockey Karlovy Vary energy.

After the match the coaches Club Council, in cooperation with U17 coach Miroslav Přerostem all wanted a way to let the player know he went to far. "Martin was eventually cut from nominations to travel to Canada. Im sure he isnt happy, I know he was really excited to go and show what he can do. But I hope it helps. He gets time to think about everything" responds Ryžuk.

Martins hockey capabilities get only praise. "Martin is a skilled player with great perspective, in addition, he believes in our system. The difference is that unlike Hrbase from Plzen he didnt go overseas, he wants to prove himself in Czech hockey. This is nice. But he must understand that in the case of insulting a referee, we must somehow responding" sais Ryžuk.

Without making excuses for the young hockey player, he mentions circumstances in the case that are important. "In our youth competitions, we use a different interpretation of the rules of refereeing then on the international stage. Confirmed to me independently milo Hořava, Radim atropa, Marek Sýkora, championship players with the U20. At home what is a penalty is not a penalty overseas" he points out.

Martin Frk is a hockey player. "He finishes fights and body checks hard. When this in Canada, nothing happens. Here it is penalized. I'd say that Martin in Brno didnt injure no one but did insult the referee, with which we disagree. This is why we endorsed this form of punishment, "adds Ryžuk.

Protests towards men in the striped uniform unfortunately are nothing new even in adult leagues. Just remember Kladno Pavel Patery and some other action when the referee was under undue pressure by players. "Young hockey players watch their idols, they should remember that their actions affect even someone else. When you look at the highest competition, sometimes you have to shake your head. Martin Frk committed a offense, in agreement with the coach U17 we agreed to punish in a way that likely isnt common for us. We hope that this will not be repeated in the case of Martin, "concludes Jiří Ryžuk.
http://hokej.cz/index.php?view=clanek&lng=CZ&webid=487&id=46208&ban=1

Last edited by a moderator:

phil macrackin

Sep 28, 2005
Hype overdrive, yes. But does anyone have a rough idea who the other top candidates for No. 1 in 2012 are? Some names I've heard:

-Nail Yakupov
-Mikhail Grigorenko
-Derrick Pouliot
-Morgan Rielly
-Matia Marcantuoni

Any others? Or even better, anyone care to compile a top 10, 20, 30...

0123456789*

here we go....let the overhyping begin...:shakehead

Whats your problem. Do you like trying to ruin a thread just for the hell of it. Dont post in this thread if you dont like it.

Also do you not understand that he has already played on the U18 national team and was the best player, he has been comparable to 2010 first round talents in the last U18 tournament. he is one of the best players in juniors in Czech republic. You will get to see him in April in the U18 world championships again, and likely the Hilinka cup in the summer and at this rate the U20 next year.

Im not talking about some kid playing bantam, im talking about a kid playing juniors, and in U18 tournaments against the same players being drafted this year. He is head and shoulders better then Voracek and Frolik at the same age, the most recent players who were tearing it up at a young age in Czech republic and ended up going top 10 in the draft.

Seriously I wonder if you even bothered reading my post, likely not. Pretty sad really.

0123456789*

Frk wants to play CHL next years?

He didnt say that but it sure sounds like a possibility. The fact that he has been running in to big problems because of his ruff play and the fact they even said his style of play is not only ok but good in NA then I wouldent be surprised if he decided he had enough and bolted to NA. Personally im torn between it being a good thing or a bad thing, in Czech republic he will likely get to play against men next year and probably get in to more tournaments. But in the CHL he could play his style of game.

0123456789*

Doubt he is.

based on what? This isnt a kid tearing it up in U16 torunaments like he should be, or bantam. This is a kid tearing it up in juniors and U18 tournaments against some players that will be drafted in the first round this year.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Rasmus Ristalainen is looking verrry good for 2012 also.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
based on what? This isnt a kid tearing it up in U16 torunaments like he should be, or bantam. This is a kid tearing it up in juniors and U18 tournaments against some players that will be drafted in the first round this year.

If he was a generational talent he would be a regular in the Extraliga already.

For comparison, Alexander Ovechkin, whom nearly everyone agrees is a generational talent, played 21 games in the RSL as a 16-year-old.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I just want to clarify, the part where it talks about him going to the World Championships, is that the World Junior Championships, or the Men's/pro Championships?

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

Exactly, he still plays in the juniors. At his age, Adam Larsson played in the SEL, so did MSP. Are they generational talents? No.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
here we go....let the overhyping begin...:shakehead

I don't see how its overhyping if he's the only guy in his age category doing the things he's doing. If you have another name to suggest for 1st overall in 2012 then by all means inform us. Otherwise give the OP some props for bring those of us who haven't heard of the Frk kid into the loop.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
He is head and shoulders better then Voracek and Frolik at the same age, the most recent players who were tearing it up at a young age in Czech republic and ended up going top 10 in the draft.

How exactly can you make a statement like that? You're in western Canada so it's certainly not from having seen them all play at the same age. It seems to me you're basing the argument around stats. Considering the Czech junior programs were in a much better state five years ago than they are now, this seems like a very poor basis for an argument (though most would say it's a very poor basis for an argument either way)

Frolik played in the U18 wjc's as a 15 year old and the U20 wjc's as a 16 year old. He also played extensively in the Czech Extraliga as a 16 year old. Frk hasn't done any of those things yet.

Voracek, while not having the list of accomplishments Frolik had accumulated, had very good stats as a 16 year old in junior play as well. That said, I don't remember anyone hyping him the way you're hyping Frk.

To bring some other players into the conversation, Michael Repik had very comparable stats to Frk at the same age. He didn't get a whole lot of hype either.

For a more recent example, Richard Panik's stats were better than Frk's at the same point in development. Again, he didn't get the kind of hype you're giving Frk.

Frk may end up a very high NHL draft pick but the hype you're putting on him is just excessive at this point. It's not just this thread either. You've taken every chance you could to pour it on with him. I don't think you're being very objective here at all.

So, he's got his thread now and I'm sure you'll keep us all up to date on him. That's cool, but I hope there'll be more substance and less hype in the future.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
How exactly can you make a statement like that? You're in western Canada so it's certainly not from having seen them all play at the same age. It seems to me you're basing the argument around stats. Considering the Czech junior programs were in a much better state five years ago than they are now, this seems like a very poor basis for an argument (though most would say it's a very poor basis for an argument either way)

Frolik played in the U18 wjc's as a 15 year old and the U20 wjc's as a 16 year old. He also played extensively in the Czech Extraliga as a 16 year old. Frk hasn't done any of those things yet.

Voracek, while not having the list of accomplishments Frolik had accumulated, had very good stats as a 16 year old in junior play as well. That said, I don't remember anyone hyping him the way you're hyping Frk.

To bring some other players into the conversation, Michael Repik had very comparable stats to Frk at the same age. He didn't get a whole lot of hype either.

For a more recent example, Richard Panik's stats were better than Frk's at the same point in development. Again, he didn't get the kind of hype you're giving Frk.

Frk may end up a very high NHL draft pick but the hype you're putting on him is just excessive at this point. It's not just this thread either. You've taken every chance you could to pour it on with him. I don't think you're being very objective here at all.

So, he's got his thread now and I'm sure you'll keep us all up to date on him. That's cool, but I hope there'll be more substance and less hype in the future.

1) What do you base your statement that the Czech programs are much weaker now on, is it because there haven't been as many players drafted from that country lately, because if it is, it could just be that there just haven't been as many quality players from there.

2) Even if it is weakened now, it's still not that weak, and the fact that he is ripping it up in one of the best junior leagues in the world, is nothing to sniff at.

3) That's your opinion, but it's not really hype, cause this kid is really good anyway, regardless of hype.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
1) What do you base your statement that the Czech programs are much weaker now on, is it because there haven't been as many players drafted from that country lately, because if it is, it could just be that there just haven't been as many quality players from there.

If the quality of players has declined significantly in a program can it be anything but weaker?

2) Even if it is weakened now, it's still not that weak, and the fact that he is ripping it up in one of the best junior leagues in the world, is nothing to sniff at.

I didn't say it was.

3) That's your opinion, but it's not really hype, cause this kid is really good anyway, regardless of hype.

Making an outrageous claim without a valid basis for it is hype. Really good players can be severely overhyped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad