RW Mark Stone (2010, 178th overall, Ottawa)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
where did this kid come from this season?

2g 4a tonight in what seems like domination by him and glennie (pp hattrick) over the blades.

Everyone knows about glennie, dallas' first rounder from 09, but stone, ottawa's 6th rounder last year seems to be the real story in brandon this year.

Stone is now 5th in the WHL in points and 6th in assists. He's currently on a 9-game 20-pt streak.

Any WHL fans have some insight on this guy? Where did this season come from? Why didnt he go higher in the draft? Does he have NHL potential?

From what i've heard, skating is an issue with him. Is it bad enough that it will prevent him from having an NHL impact? He has nhl size and obviously has offensive instincts. Also, how is his defensive game?

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
Stone is having a pretty good breakout year.
The Wheaties had a lot of roster turnover since last year.
Stone ramped up his game and started to become a real team leader.
He gets to play a lot of quality minutes and special teams which helps. The Wheaties finally really gelled as team this past while and that helps too.
As far as skating goes, probably not the fastest skater in the WHL, the important thing is he gets there to the scoring zone and does some nice work around the net.
A player who plays well positionally can usually compensate for raw footspeed.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Stone is having a pretty good breakout year.
The Wheaties had a lot of roster turnover since last year.
Stone ramped up his game and started to become a real team leader.
He gets to play a lot of quality minutes and special teams which helps. The Wheaties finally really gelled as team this past while and that helps too.
As far as skating goes, probably not the fastest skater in the WHL, the important thing is he gets there to the scoring zone and does some nice work around the net.
A player who plays well positionally can usually compensate for raw footspeed.

Thanks man, just curious, how far is his skating until it is considered average?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Mark had a fairly rough year last year with injuries and it hurt his draft stock. He was once thought of a top 50 guy and he fell because of those injuries and his poor skating. I know it really motivated him coming into this season and he has responded well

His skating is below average especially his first step but it is something he is working on and I think it has improved a lot this season and it shows with his point totals. Right now he is very strong and he does overpower a lot of his competition. Couple that with a very soft set of hands making him very lethal down low. Mark also has a mean streak but has toned that down but is willing to engage just about anyone.

I can see him playng at the same level as someone like Ryan Malone in the NHL. That guy who is very effective in your bottom 6 and can step up and play in the top 6 if need be and also get good power play time and be effective.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
The talk about Mark Stone's skating deficiencies get too much attention and his skating is not that bad. In hockey there are no marks for artistic impression. His skating does lack some jump and acceleration. There are ways to compensate, for example good puck control, not over handling the puck, good positional play and playing the forecheck appropriate to the player's skating abilities.
Stone is good where it counts, around the net and along the wall.

TheHMan

Feb 2, 2008
Montreal
Suppose he makes some improvements in his skating, how far do you think he is from the NHL? From what I heard, everything outside of his skating is supposedly pretty good.

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
He'll finish his junior career then spend as much time as he needs in the AHL. He has the benefit of not being one of those "top 6 or bust" guys and should be able to perform spot duty on an NHL fourth line as he develops, if that's in his future.

The Fuhr*

I see another Jordan Knackstedt type in Stone... Stone really needs to improve his skating.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Hopefully he comes to Ottawa and trains with our staff this summer to strengthen his skating. I'm sure he has a plan, but the next 2 or 3 off-seasons are gonna be tremendously important for his development.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Mark Stone

Mark Stone, Sens 6th round pick last year, is currently 4th in WHL scoring and is unrated on hockey's future. I am curious to know more about him from people who watch the WHL. It was said when he was drafted that he had a ton of skill but is slow as mud, yet someone talked about him blowing by a defender the other day.

Afro Thunder*

Another 4 point night for Stone, ties RNH in 3rd of scoring.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
He's comparable to Laich imo,

Laich skating is was a bit better at the same age, but he had to work on it to get into the NHL. Mark Stone is out producing him at the same age though

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Watching Stone night in, night out, I believe one of his biggest attributes is his work along the boards, he wins the puck 75% of the time when participating in "on board" battles. His skating is choppy, but if guys like Ryan White can improve their skating to the NHl minimum, there is no reason Stone can't as well. He's a big body who can score, so should have potential to make 3rd line in NHL if the skating progresses, pretty much the best you can hope for out of a 6th rounder hey?

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Mark had a fairly rough year last year with injuries and it hurt his draft stock. He was once thought of a top 50 guy and he fell because of those injuries and his poor skating. I know it really motivated him coming into this season and he has responded well

His skating is below average especially his first step but it is something he is working on and I think it has improved a lot this season and it shows with his point totals. Right now he is very strong and he does overpower a lot of his competition. Couple that with a very soft set of hands making him very lethal down low. Mark also has a mean streak but has toned that down but is willing to engage just about anyone.

I can see him playng at the same level as someone like Ryan Malone in the NHL. That guy who is very effective in your bottom 6 and can step up and play in the top 6 if need be and also get good power play time and be effective.

Mark Stone had an injury filled season last year on a very deep Wheat Kings team which hurt his numbers. This year healthy and stronger he and his line has done a great job of cycling the puck and created a lot of chance off of that cycle.

Rshields

Oct 23, 2009
He has a very unusual choppy stride but seems to beat some good D-men one on one.
Has been playing a consistent hard working game and always shows up. Caught up to Schenn from behind and put a good lick on him last week end in Stoon.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Stone is having a beast of a season, this isn't something that came out of nowhere from people who followed him before this season though. As a 16 year old when Schenn went down with injuries Stone stepped up and played really well for about a 10-12 game stretch. As a 17 year old he was going to be real solid and then got hurt. I think theres a chance that he could be a late round steal. He was thought of as a possible first round pick before the injuries last yr. Not a great skater, but hes big and has good puck skills and vision.

Stassino

Oct 15, 2007
Ottawa, On
Is his skating such that improvement can't be made.. I've heard from many out west he was a potential top 40 pick originally.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Is his skating such that improvement can't be made.. I've heard from many out west he was a potential top 40 pick originally.

Absolutely not. It's rough and he's never going to be one of the best skaters in the NHL, but if he works hard at it and can improve his skating to the point where it's average by NHL standards, I think his other tools are impressive enough that he could turn into a solid player.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Just saw the segment of him on sportsnet, and as a Sens fan Im starting to get excited.

Those are some impressive stats, but as many of us know stats mean nothing in junior, but its the comments from the WHL watchers that have me thinking big things for the kid.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Mark Stone

What's his upside?

On paper, he's looking like a steal from the Sens. He was a 6th round pick, and is averaging twice his PPG from last year.

Also listed 6'3" and 200 lbs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad