RW Linden Vey (2009, 96th overall, Los Angeles)

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
He's now leading the WHL in scoring at a 2 ppg pace...It seems everytime im checking out the box score of Medicine Hat games hes putting up multi points....had another 5 point game last night....

On top of that, every time i watch the highlights of the games, it seems like hes just flat out dominating...he has like 4 or 5 chances that he created for himself to score....

I know hes always been a solid player ( His back to back 70+ point seasons show that)

What is it about this year that hes playing so well...for people that watch him on a regular basis, what do you think of him? If he continues to play at this level, i assume hell have a chance to make the WJC....

I know he has a few good linemates on his team, but hes outproducing them all by a huge margin, so i know the reason for his success isnt specifically due to his linemates

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Very gritty and talented player.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. Vey is the perfect fit for Team Canada as a guy who can fill multiple roles. Kill penalties, play on the powerplay and provide energy in the bottom 6.

wicker

Oct 2, 2006
I apologize to the OP if this is considered to be thread hijacking, but... Who has the better toolbox/hockey IQ, when you compare Vey to Toffoli? I'm just trying to get an idea, since they both are doing very well at the moment.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
I apologize to the OP if this is considered to be thread hijacking, but... Who has the better toolbox/hockey IQ, when you compare Vey to Toffoli? I'm just trying to get an idea, since they both are doing very well at the moment.

Toffoli will have a bigger future, IMO. We have a bunch of Linden Vey's on our big club (Kyle Clifford, Dwight King, Wayne Simmonds), grinders, and that's how most people have described Vey.

Toffoli on the other hand is a sniper, something the Kings are in dire need of, they don't have a prospect who has the potential to be a 30-40 goal scorer like Toffoli

Captain Mittens*

oyvey.jpg

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
Toffoli will have a bigger future, IMO. We have a bunch of Linden Vey's on our big club (Kyle Clifford, Dwight King, Wayne Simmonds), grinders, and that's how most people have described Vey.

Toffoli on the other hand is a sniper, something the Kings are in dire need of, they don't have a prospect who has the potential to be a 30-40 goal scorer like Toffoli[/QUOTE/]

Its obvious you dont know much about Vey if you think hes anything like Simmonds or Clifford....completely different players....they dont even play the same type of role on their respective teams....Vey it a much more gifted offensive player.... go watch some highlights

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I said this on the Kings board and got no response. I don't know what to make of Vey, is he lighting it up because he's older?

EDIT: Never mind, I did.

Tiger Trauma

Sep 5, 2006
Medicine Hat
old.reddit.com
He always had above average skills in almost every facet except being physical.

I think his biggest improvement is that he is now thinking two steps ahead of everyone on the ice and that Vey and Emerson Etem have developed incredible chemistry on the ice. Edit: Also Vey's lateral ability with the puck getting the defender moving has played a big part too.

They put pucks in places that they know the other person can get to even if it is at the defenders feet.

He has insane vision on the ice, a very smart player, and has an excellent passing ability. He also posses one of the best puck control abilities along the boards i have seen at the junior level.

He is also very good at pickpocketing opponents, picking up loose pucks and swatting down passes. To be honest I like his overall game a slight pinch better than Tyler Ennis when he was a Tiger, as Vey is more Defensively reliable. Although Ennis might have more point potential, Vey is more likely to boost the play of linemates.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He always had above average skills in almost every facet except being physical.

I think his biggest improvement is that he is now thinking two steps ahead of everyone on the ice and that Vey and Emerson Etem have developed incredible chemistry on the ice. Edit: Also Vey's lateral ability with the puck getting the defender moving has played a big part too.

They put pucks in places that they know the other person can get to even if it is at the defenders feet.

He has insane vision on the ice, a very smart player, and has an excellent passing ability. He also posses one of the best puck control abilities along the boards i have seen at the junior level.

He is also very good at pickpocketing opponents, picking up loose pucks and swatting down passes. To be honest I like his overall game a slight pinch better than Tyler Ennis when he was a Tiger, as Vey is more Defensively reliable. Although Ennis might have more point potential, Vey is more likely to boost the play of linemates.
Nice info, Thanks.

I doubt he will continue on this pace. He will end up with +50 goals and over 88 assists (when he doesnt play at the WJC).

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010

Toffoli has an NHL wrist shot, whereas Vey doesn't. That should make his future much brighter, especially with LA.

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
I think some credit should go to the LA coaching staff as it seems like all of the LA prospects are doing quite well in the CHL post LA rookie/dev camps:

J-F Berube: 16 games played w/ record of 12-3-0-1 (2.57 GAA and .896 Save%)

Linden Vey - 43pts (16g + 27a) in 22 games. Vey is #1 in WHL points,
Tyler Toffoli - 38pts (22g + 16a) in 25 games. Toffoli is #1 in OHL goals and #5 in points
Jordan Weal - 31pts (8g + 23a) in 24 games. Weal is #6 in WHL assists and T-11 in points.
Robbie Czarnik - 24pts (10g + 14a) in 15 games
Nicolas Deslauriers(defenseman) - 18pts (5g + 13a) in 19 games

Not to mention Maxim Kitsyn being the top scorer for team russia in the subway series.

I've been to all the King Development/Rookie camps and honestly saw nothing that special from Vey and Toffoli, the standouts there for me were Czarnik, Weal, and Deslaurier. It's definitely pleasantly surprising to see Vey and Toffoli play as well as they are... I was already really excited about Czarnik/Weal/Deslaurier, but couldn't be happier to see these other prospects putting up numbers and hopefully making team Canada to play some big games.

WTG Toffoli and Vey, keep it up.

And yes.. Vey has a nice all around offensive game, he's not overly physical by any means, but Linden pretty much does everything else well... looks like he kicked it up a gear this year.

DickArmy*

Linden Vey - How good is he?

Putting up monster numbers leading the WHL with 115 points as a 19 year old. However, he was drafted 96th, must have been for a reason.

For people who have seen him play a lot, can you give us a scouting report? Is he prospect I should get invested in? What kind of game will he bring to the nhl and how close is he?

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I was always take leading the WHL in scoring with a grain of salt. If Casey Pierro-Zabotel can do it...anyone can.

Can't comment too much on Vey as I've maybe seen him twice this year. He definitely has great touch...and you can't teach that.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I don't think he's ever going to be a top 6 NHLer. I said that at the start of this year and I stand by it. I do see him as a very good 3rd liner though. Someone who can do it all. Provide offense. Check. Kill penalties. Play the PP. A very well rounded player.

Flamefan1

Jun 12, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Putting up monster numbers leading the WHL with 115 points as a 19 year old. However, he was drafted 96th, must have been for a reason.

For people who have seen him play a lot, can you give us a scouting report? Is he prospect I should get invested in? What kind of game will he bring to the nhl and how close is he?

I think he will become the next kris versteeg

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
I thought I'd resurrect this thread in light of Linden's progress.

He looks promising at this point, holding his own defensively and creating some chances on the counter-attack.

His set-up of Clifford tonight was a beauty.

Phone call for Colin Fraser...

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
I thought I'd resurrect this thread in light of Linden's progress.

He looks promising at this point, holding his own defensively and creating some chances on the counter-attack.

His set-up of Clifford tonight was a beauty.

Phone call for Colin Fraser...

Was at the Canucks and Kings game last night. I hadn't really seen the kings play this season, and Vey playing with Toffoli and Clifford looked like a very good line. Vey had a good touch and looked like he belonged for sure, probably the best line for the kings that game, or at least the most noticeable to me. It did hurt a little bit having someone with "Linden" in their name make a pass like that leading to goal lol. But all in all, good game for Vey and his line.

palffytofrovlov

Apr 4, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
I think Vey would be a good 3rd line center for the Kings... he has 5 pts in 10 games, same number of pts as Stoll in half the games played. I think he brings a good balance of offense and defense. Very heady player could still bulk up some more. But very impress so far.

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
LET ME GIVE A DISCLAIMER. We've found a trend during the draft for analysts to compare players for their style instead of quality. Which is good, it gives a more complete picture of the player. They might be a Jarret Stoll-esque player, could be a lot better or worse, but their balance of attributes is like him.

That said. I think Vey is a lot like a young Crosby. Strong lower body, great playmaking ability and hockey IQ. Watching him play screams Crosby.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I don't think he's ever going to be a top 6 NHLer. I said that at the start of this year and I stand by it. I do see him as a very good 3rd liner though. Someone who can do it all. Provide offense. Check. Kill penalties. Play the PP. A very well rounded player.

I don't have any doubt that he will be a top six player, the problem is no room at the inn right now at C or in the near future. You cannot teach vision and touch, two things he possesses in spades. He is strong enough on D that the Kings are using him short handed and he is getting second unit PP time. He will bag a goal soon, and will continue to rack of the assists. The guy can play. It would be a horrible mistake to send him or Toffoli back to the AHL.

EA Sports GM

Apr 2, 2013
Vancouver
LET ME GIVE A DISCLAIMER. We've found a trend during the draft for analysts to compare players for their style instead of quality. Which is good, it gives a more complete picture of the player. They might be a Jarret Stoll-esque player, could be a lot better or worse, but their balance of attributes is like him.

That said. I think Vey is a lot like a young Crosby. Strong lower body, great playmaking ability and hockey IQ. Watching him play screams Crosby.

:handclap: Agreed.

A younger, weaker, less smart, less skilled, less talented Crosby.

But still, a poor, dying, paraplegic man's Crosby.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
:handclap: Agreed.

A younger, weaker, less smart, less skilled, less talented Crosby.

But still, a poor, dying, paraplegic man's Crosby.

:laugh:

I hope the person bringing up the Crosby comparison was joking. If that person was serious, I suggest he/she/it has their eyesight and head thoroughly examined. Vey has been great for the Kings, but Crosby? Are you friggin' kidding me? Calm down dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad