RW Kole Sherwood - London Knights, OHL (2015 undrafted; signed 2015, CBJ)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What's his story?!? I love the cool story players.. I.e McKensie Stewart and his perseverance story with deafness and a late start in hockey....

What's this kid's story?

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
what's his story?!? I love the cool story players.. I.e mckensie stewart and his perseverance story with deafness and a late start in hockey....

What's this kid's story?

Was eligible to be drafted in '15, went undrafted, got invited to CBJ prospect camp, did well, got signed directly to an ELC becoming the first AAA Blue Jacket, and first Columbus born player to sign contract w/ CBJ.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
What's his story?!? I love the cool story players.. I.e McKensie Stewart and his perseverance story with deafness and a late start in hockey....

What's this kid's story?
Born in a Columbus suburb, learned to play hockey through CBJ programs in the early 2000's at the Chiller ice rinks, played his way up through the CBJ U16 and U18 teams in the T1EHL league. Finished off last season playing in Youngstown, Ohio for the Phantoms of the USHL. Was draft-eligible and GM Jarmo Kekalainen reportedly made offers to acquire an additional 7th round pick in order to draft Kole but was unable to get the pick. When he went undrafted the CBJ front office promptly invited Kole and his brother to the prospect development camp where Kole (and his brother, Keifer) really stood out among our best prospects. After touring the London Knight's facilities earlier this week he decided to sign a contract with Columbus and play in the OHL rather than go to the NCAA.

It's significant because he's the first homegrown player that Columbus has signed. Other players born in the area like Cole Cassels, Connor Murphy, Jack Roslovic, etc. didn't play in the CBJ system past the U16 team and ended up getting drafted by other NHL teams.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Was eligible to be drafted in '15, went undrafted, got invited to CBJ prospect camp, did well, got signed directly to an ELC becoming the first AAA Blue Jacket, and first Columbus born player to sign contract w/ CBJ.

Born in a Columbus suburb, learned to play hockey through CBJ programs in the early 2000's at the Chiller ice rinks, played his way up through the CBJ U16 and U18 teams in the T1EHL league. Finished off last season playing in Youngstown, Ohio for the Phantoms of the USHL. Was draft-eligible and GM Jarmo Kekalainen reportedly made offers to acquire an additional 7th round pick in order to draft Kole but was unable to get the pick. When he went undrafted the CBJ front office promptly invited Kole and his brother to the prospect development camp where Kole (and his brother, Keifer) really stood out among our best prospects. After touring the London Knight's facilities earlier this week he decided to sign a contract with Columbus and play in the OHL rather than go to the NCAA.

It's significant because he's the first homegrown player that Columbus has signed. Other players born in the area like Cole Cassels, Connor Murphy, Jack Roslovic, etc. didn't play in the CBJ system past the U16 team and ended up getting drafted by other NHL teams.

Thanks!
Congrats to the kid and congrats to the Jackets for breaking ground like that.

Should be a good boost to promote development for Columbus hockey.

Waiting for Nashville now.. They have developed a great minor hockey system there since their arrival...

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Was curious about this kid. Looked promising. Glad he got a contract. Will be interesting seeing him in London next year.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Thanks!
Congrats to the kid and congrats to the Jackets for breaking ground like that.

Should be a good boost to promote development for Columbus hockey.

Waiting for Nashville now.. They have developed a great minor hockey system there since their arrival...

Already happened with Blake Geoffrion. Came up and developed through the Nashville youth hockey system, drafted in second round, 2006.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Can any London fans comment on Sherwood's play through his first five games? I've just seen a couple highlights here and there, but he is producing well so far with 7pts in those 5gms. Hopefully he will continue to do so.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I'm curious as well. Still a point per game after 20 games. Also wonder where everyone thinks he would go in the draft if he had more exposure, like if he were in London last year

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He started off really well. The last few games he's seemed off...I'm not sure if he's getting tired or what. He was a healthy scratch last game.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I would like to think he has a future in the NHL. Powerful shot, fast, and hard-hitting.

Reminds me a lot of Remi Elie.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Hes still learning the game. If Hes coachable and willing to work, he's got a future as a pro.
As said good shot, skates well ect...
Positionally, he can get lost at times. But staff is working with him

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Any OHL followers have any sort of report on how he looked this year? Had a strong season in terms of numbers but I never actually had a chance to watch him play. I know in development camps his shot was great and if he was in a position to launch it then it normally was getting picked out of the back of the net

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Sherwood had a great year in Flint and really developed as a player with that increased ice time. He definitely looks like a pro prospect and is without a doubt, one of the more underrated prospects playing in the OHL. The guys playing in Flint (or Plymouth), or Saginaw, just don't seem to get the same exposure (look at how underrated a guy like Vincent Trocheck was recently).

Sherwood is a big body, but he's an excellent skater. In particular, he's got a great first couple of strides which really helps him to be aggressive in attacking without the puck. He's also very good at working the boards and has gotten MUCH stronger since he entered the league. As someone already mentioned, his shot and release are both excellent too.

Will be interesting to see what happens with him next year. I would imagine that he plays pro. I think he's physically ready for the next step.

His pro potential. I'm not entirely sure I see a top 6 forward. I don't know if his skill with the puck (in terms of being a creator/playmaker) is good enough, and ditto for his hockey sense. But his physical gifts and his shot could make him a quality 20 goal guy on the 3rd line in the future. Maybe a Jamie McGinn type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad