RW Kirill Nizhnikov - Knoxville Ice Bears, SPHL (2018 undrafted)

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Kirill_Nizhnikov-$.jpg

-----------------------------------eliteprospects link-----------------------------------

Not much info about this talented kid, but from what i've heard he's very promising young player, who will likely be selected in top-5 of the 2016 OHL Draft. Your thoughts about him, guys? Not so long ago it became known that he apparently will join to russian u-16 team at jr. winter olympic tourney, which will be held in Lillehammer, Norway in February, 12.

Some videos:

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Interesting. The Youth Winter Olympics is an IIHF sanctioned event. If so, I believe he will claim Russian citizenship for his hockey career and will most likely have to go through the CHL Import Draft rather than through the OHL Entry Draft. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Last edited:

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Interesting. The Youth Winter Olympics is an IIHF sanctioned event. If so, I believe he will claim Russian citizenship for his hockey career and will most likely have to go through the CHL Import Draft rather than through the OHL Entry Draft. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
claim? did he became canadian recently?

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
claim? did he became canadian recently?

I have no idea. The original poster implied that he will go top 5 in the OHL draft. For him to be eligible for this draft he would have to have Canadian or American citizenship.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I have no idea. The original poster implied that he will go top 5 in the OHL draft. For him to be eligible for this draft he would have to have Canadian or American citizenship.

That's not true I'm pretty sure. To go in the OHL draft you only have to have played minor hockey in Canada no? David Levin does not have canadian citizienship and he was drafted 1st overall in the OHL draft.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
That's not true I'm pretty sure. To go in the OHL draft you only have to have played minor hockey in Canada no? David Levin does not have canadian citizienship and he was drafted 1st overall in the OHL draft.

He would have to, otherwise Sudbury could not have Sokolov and Aagaard on their roster. If he only had Israeli citizenship, then he would have to go through the import draft wouldn't he not? If not players from European countries could move to Canada to play, only retain their european citizenship, and get picked in midget drafts, thus circumventing the CHL import draft.

Last edited:

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
And it seems like this is the case with Nizhnikov. According to EP he played with Mississauga Rebels minor midget team last year.

Fair enough, but others that have gone this route (Korostolev, Levin) have not played in an IIHF event prior to the draft. Im sure this will add another element for the OHL to consider.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Eligibility for the OHL draft has nothing to do with citizenship or where the player previously played. It is determined by the residency of at least one parent prior to the draft. So a player from Russia who moves with a parent who establishes residency in the OHL's jurisdictional area in Ontario or the U.S. (which is a question of fact) a couple of months prior to the OHL draft is undoubtedly eligible.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He has represented Russia in the past, correct?

If the National u16 team competes during the season then he would have missed the competitions due to playing in Canada. Regardless I don't believe any of these games are IIHF sanctioned however I'm not sure if the Youth Olympics games are.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Selected 7th overall in the OHL draft by the Mississauga Steelheads.

Just judging from some youtube videos he seems very promising. The Steelheads gets another talanted forward to work with.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is he serious about going back or was it a slight variation of the typical NCAA bluff to go to a more preferred OHL team?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is he serious about going back or was it a slight variation of the typical NCAA bluff to go to a more preferred OHL team?

Well he knew he was likely going top 3 and Flint had 3rd overall at the time. He was in range and it could just be a strategy to avoid going there. He could have just said he wouldn't report but I feel he might have been hoping it scared more teams and he falls to a team like London.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Saw him in YOG in Norway. He made many useful things as though he is 18 years old. Nice work ethic, that is not peculiar to 16 years old player. Need more productive in offensive zone

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Update : still has not signed with Mississauga and reported to training camp.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Based on this, it's safe to assume that they are at least talking to a VHL team, right?
Ferris says the 6-foot-1, 181-pound forward s likely headed back to his native Russia for next season.

“We're talking to a team that's a men's league team, so it's at a higher level (than major junior),” said Ferris. “It's not (the) KHL, but it's right below the KHL.”

When was the last time a 16-year-old played in the VHL? Has it ever happened?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad