RW Kevin Labanc (2014, 171st, SJS)

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Was just wondering what people who have watched Kevin Labanc think of him. I know he was a late round pick but he is putting up ridiculous numbers in his first season since being drafted. So far he is leading the Barrie Colts in scoring with 17 goals and 66 points in only 38 games (after only posting 61-11-24-35 last yr).

I'm a Sharks fan so I'm hoping we got a steal in him but I know better than to get too excited about production in juniors, as it can sometimes be deceiving. Being that he was a late round pick I'd be happy with him just making the NHL at some point, but am of course hoping for more. We already have good later picks in Sadowy and Chartier from 2014 draft, is he another steal/post draft bloomer?

What sort of upside does he have?
Does he project to be an NHL player?
Is he being carried by a team with solid offensive players?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I love watching him. Can play anywhere in the lineup, and in all situations. He is a huge Shorthanded threat, he can capitalize on his scoring chances.

Upside: Middle 6 player who can play anywhere in a pinch.
Question 2: I would say yes, although his first pro season will obviously be a better indicator.
Question 3: He IS the offensive threat on that team. Not saying they are lacking in high end offensive talent, but he is making others around him better, not the other way around.

He and Sadowy are looking really good.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I love watching him. Can play anywhere in the lineup, and in all situations. He is a huge Shorthanded threat, he can capitalize on his scoring chances.

Agreed. The Sharks seem to do a wonderful job in getting kids of this ilk. He has skill and has always been a talented player...likely never a top line NHLEr but I think he makes the show with his versatility..

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
One of the most improved players in the OHL this year.

Two things contribute to this.

1. (most important IMO) Improved skating. I found Lebanc to be behind the play at times last year (his draft season). He just wasn't able to consistently beat defenders to the net or to lose pucks, despite having the desire to. This year, his skating and first few strides (in particular) look much more explosive. He's now got the speed to match his tenacity.

2. Improved confidence with the puck. In his draft year, he was very tentative with the puck and often seemed content to play second fiddle. Puck on his stick and he looked anxious to dish off right away. Just not a lot of patience or poise. This year, he's the exact opposite. He's taking the puck in the neutral zone and skating deep into the opposing end. He's leading the rush and not trailing it. He's not taking the first option he sees, but is instead waiting for lanes to open up and showing the confidence to hold on/skate with the puck when he needs to.

Upside...I think he's probably still a 3rd line prospect (ultimately). But he's gone from a guy who I felt was on the cusp of not being drafted, to a guy who looks like he should have gone much earlier.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
One of the most improved players in the OHL this year.

Two things contribute to this.

1. (most important IMO) Improved skating. I found Lebanc to be behind the play at times last year (his draft season). He just wasn't able to consistently beat defenders to the net or to lose pucks, despite having the desire to. This year, his skating and first few strides (in particular) look much more explosive. He's now got the speed to match his tenacity.

2. Improved confidence with the puck. In his draft year, he was very tentative with the puck and often seemed content to play second fiddle. Puck on his stick and he looked anxious to dish off right away. Just not a lot of patience or poise. This year, he's the exact opposite. He's taking the puck in the neutral zone and skating deep into the opposing end. He's leading the rush and not trailing it. He's not taking the first option he sees, but is instead waiting for lanes to open up and showing the confidence to hold on/skate with the puck when he needs to.

Upside...I think he's probably still a 3rd line prospect (ultimately). But he's gone from a guy who I felt was on the cusp of not being drafted, to a guy who looks like he should have gone much earlier.

Thanks for the in depth review. Looks like he just had another great weekend.

Anthems

Aug 23, 2011
Vancouver
Labanc finished with 107 points for the Colts this season. That's 72 more points from his 35 pt total from his draft year... where he was selected in the 6th round.

Did the Sharks find themselves a steal here?

Side note: looks like the Sharks had a pretty solid draft last year, all of their selections have noticeably improved.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Labanc finished with 107 points for the Colts this season. That's 72 more points from his 35 pt total from his draft year... where he was selected in the 6th round.

Did the Sharks find themselves a steal here?

Side note: looks like the Sharks had a pretty solid draft last year, all of their selections have noticeably improved.

Yes, Kevin Labanc was DraftBuzz rated #59 in last year's draft guide final ranking. Labanc was one of those gut feeling ranks, even more so than higher DB ranked breakouts Chartier and Dvorak.

DraftBuzz 2014 NHL Draft Guide Scouting Report
“Opting for the OHL this year instead of the NCAA, Staten Island product Kevin Labanc had an okay rookie season with the Barrie Colts. Initially taking backseat to some more prolific 2014 teammates like Brendan Lemieux, Labanc ended up gaining more responsibility towards the end of the regular season and into the playoffs. Shifty winger has an underlying offensive ability masked by being cast with grinders. Skating is rough around the edges now, but will be an asset down the line. Finds his way to pucks while not being overly physical. A great stickhandler, you always had confidence in his ability to chase down pucks and make defenders miss. Really honed his defensive awareness over the year. Extremely engaged on PK with noticeably quick and active stick work. Will go into high traffic areas regardless of punishment though he prefers to escape via quickness. Exceptional passing and vision don’t match his low output. Never got any press even though he could take over shifts leading us to believe he has untapped offense in him.â€

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
3 goals, 7 points, +9 and 9 shots tonight in a 12-2 win against North Bay. 6/7 were ES pts while 1 was SH. Tied Andreas Athanasiou for the Barrie record for most points in a game. Now second in the OHL in points (61), albeit he has more than couple games on the others above and below him on the list.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
He's only 2 months older than Dvorak. I wouldn't really call him an overager, even though that's what he is, if you catch my drift.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Is this guy just an overager dominating? Or does he look legit?

He was pretty dominant last year as well, when he wasn't an overager. I don't get to see a lot from him in Barrie, but he left a positive impression last year when I watched him.

I see no reason to not at least be a little optimistic about him as a prospect.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
He was pretty dominant last year as well, when he wasn't an overager. I don't get to see a lot from him in Barrie, but he left a positive impression last year when I watched him.

I see no reason to not at least be a little optimistic about him as a prospect.

cool, yea i noticed he had over 100 points last year, and is on pace for like 140 or something this year.

thanks for the heads up.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
101 points in 50 games now. That's impressive by any measure.

Hey, prospect experts, are you guys starting to think he might have more than that 3rd line upside, given his showing this year and last?

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Woah. Slow down a second. I still have some concerns about how his offensive game will translate.

Looking promising though. Blandisi already doing well, Athanasiou is a part time NHLer at 21. Pearson was last pick in the first, not exactly a huge steal but still. Good record for 5 years coaching there.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
From my viewings, he reminds me a bit of Connor Brown at that level. He's a crafty player, patient with the puck, soft hands, with tremendous offensive instincts. Though he's not the prettiest skater, he seems to have that great compete level and a track record of improving every year. Getting his skating to the next level will be what makes or breaks his NHL potential IMO.

One thing he's really good at is selling a hard fake to shoot or drive the net, and then pulling up and hitting a wide open teammate. It works well at the junior level, but likely won't translate to the next level. He'll probably have to learn to become much more of a north-south player like Brown has, making quicker decisions with the puck.

I think he could end up a top 6 NHLer (~20% chance). But its more likely for him to end up in a 3rd line role, with the ability to play on both special teams units. (~40% chance). I'd say it's also equally likely he ends up a career minor league player (~40% chance). I'd say those projection probabilities make him a really smart pick in the 6th round. Even if he ends up only a minor league all star, that's actually pretty good for most 6th rounders, and still a player organizations need.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he has the smarts and the versatility to player at the NHL level. I think that is what makes him so impressive is that you know he can handle a top 6 role or a bottom 6 role if given the true opportunity.

I don't know what he does out of the gate next year but I can see him becoming an NHLer in the next 2 years. He actually does remind me a bit of Joe Pavelski (not just because of being Sharks property) and for those that do not remember, Pavelski was a hidden gem as well that just kept getting better and better as the years went on - very similar style and trajectory to Labanc.

Sharks should be very excited for this kid. For where you drafted him you will be getting a NHLer or top AHL two way star that can be used in trade bait if needed down the road if he can't crack that lineup.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Where he sets up in the offensive zone reminds me more of Claude Giroux than Joe Pavelski, setting up on that left half-wall. He's more of a setup guy than a shooter, and seems to have Giroux-esque vision for finding his open teammates.

His skating isn't at Giroux's level (at this point), but that's the guy who he reminds me of in terms of how he plays the game (offensively).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad