RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I thought I would make a new thread because we are so close to 1000 in the Part 5 and the discussion isn't going to stop anytime soon. One goal and the storm is back again. It's now quite quiet

His Liiga season:

Hat trick against Slovakia at the WHC:

Isä ja ex-valmentajat kertovat: Tällainen on Leijonien nuoren supertähden Kaapo Kakon koko upea tarina - katso suloiset kuvat pikku-Kaaposta!

Some stuff about Kaapo from his parents and old coaches.

- He has always been better than others in his age group. He has been playing against older people from juniors

- When he was young, he build shooting area to his yard and was constantly shooting pucks in there.

- He has ring really close to him and you can find him there practically every night just playing around, skating and practising.

- He is very humble and plays for the team. He doesn't like that people praise him. He wants to win for team.

- There was moment last autumn, where TPS didn't have game at saturday night, so Kakko went to TPS A-juniors locker room and asked who wants to come play hockey around 9.00-10.00 p.m. while everyone else were ready to go have some Saturday night fun (probably drinking).

- He is much like Mikko Rantanen. You can say both to them: "Hey there is a game tomorrow, wanna come play?" And they both would go.

- He really really wants and likes to win. He is competitive as ****.

Previous threads:
1: RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)
2: RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 2
3: RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 3
4: RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 4
5: RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 5

Kaapo Kakko at eliteprospects.com

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
He'll score tomorrow for sure. He's better when the game is somewhat competitive, which has been seen in the WJCs. I still am pretty sure he'll hit the 10 goal mark.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Ask Me Anything: Which NHL team will make the boldest off-season moves? - TheHockeyNews

Very high praise from Kakko's previous coaches.

"He’s a better skater than Mikko Rantanen at that age, I have to say,” Ahokas said. “I’ve seen them both at that age, and he’s actually a much better skater than Mikko was. They have really good hockey sense, but Kappo would be a little bit ahead of what Mikko was at that point in his career. “

“I would combine Peter Forsberg and Auston Matthews,” Kaskinen said with a laugh. “He’s not a bully, but he’s really proud of who he is, and he wants to be the best, and he shows it every shift. Maybe that’s closer to Forsberg. Forsberg, Saku Koivu and Auston Matthews. That’s how I’d put the combination.”

Kaskinen calls him the best Finn he’s ever seen in the Liiga at that age – ahead of Mikael Granlund and Aleksander Barkov.

Some of these statements I've heard from posters on here but it means a little more coming from them.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
The Forsberg comparisons seem premature, and I'm not even sure he'll be better than Barkov, who is a special player in his own right. But he's certainly made a case for 1st overall, and as much as I like Hughes, I won't be disappointed either way. Devils and Rangers fans should all be very happy.

Reactions: Habs76

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
The Forsberg comparisons seem premature, and I'm not even sure he'll be better than Barkov, who is a special player in his own right. But he's certainly made a case for 1st overall, and as much as I like Hughes, I won't be disappointed either way. Devils and Rangers fans should all be very happy.

Obviously if there was a player where you knew 100% that they were going to be on the level of Forsberg or better than Barkov, you take that player 1st overall no doubt. The comparisons is more about aspects of their game and how they compare as prospects, not how they will actually end up performing in the NHL. Best case both Kakko and Hughes end up better than Barkov but I don't think you could be confident in saying that either will definitely be better than a guy who almost scored 100 points this season.

Reactions: LAINEC

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The fact that people even argue how effective he'll be on a smaller ice surface is mindblowing to me. I've never seen a Finnish prospect more suited for that style of hockey.
Well, then there's stuff like:
Truth: Kakko Has Advantage On Bigger Ice
At the same time, this ice sheet is perfect for Kakko’s skill set. On one specific play where we saw Hughes and Kakko on the ice at the same time, Kakko literally fell at the beginning of the play, got back up and never lost possession in his own zone. He then had a dominant shift. However, on NHL ice, he doesn’t have the room to keep possession like that. The way he’s skating around is impressive, but he won’t have that kind of room in the NHL.
New Jersey Devils: Truths And Untruths On Kaapo Kakko and Jack Hughes

Ask Me Anything: Which NHL team will make the boldest off-season moves? - TheHockeyNews

"He’s a better skater than Mikko Rantanen at that age, I have to say,” Ahokas said. “I’ve seen them both at that age, and he’s actually a much better skater than Mikko was. They have really good hockey sense, but Kappo would be a little bit ahead of what Mikko was at that point in his career. “

“I would combine Peter Forsberg and Auston Matthews,” Kaskinen said with a laugh. “He’s not a bully, but he’s really proud of who he is, and he wants to be the best, and he shows it every shift. Maybe that’s closer to Forsberg. Forsberg, Saku Koivu and Auston Matthews. That’s how I’d put the combination.”

Kaskinen calls him the best Finn he’s ever seen in the Liiga at that age – ahead of Mikael Granlund and Aleksander Barkov.

Some of these statements I've heard from posters on here but it means a little more coming from them.
I think all of that's similar to what I've been saying. Although I'm not sure where Koivu's coming from. I guess he was a TPS product too, but yeah.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
What? Hughes had an assist today so he’s on par with Kakko in assists. Yes, Kakko has scored 6 goals, but Hughes potential is way higher. Just ask the scouts if you don't believe me...

:wg:
So assists are the same thing as goals? Kakko has played with men. Everything that Hughes has done, he has done it against boys. Kakko is playing against men and producing right now. Hughes is also playing against men right now and not producing as well.

To me, that speaks volumes. Kakko is the better player right now. Hughes is the better position, but NJ is rich in C, has sore need for a star RW, and... in my own opinion, Kakko will be the better player.

I've been wrong before though.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
So assists are the same thing as goals? Kakko has played with men. Everything that Hughes has done, he has done it against boys. Kakko is playing against men and producing right now. Hughes is also playing against men right now and not producing as well.

To me, that speaks volumes. Kakko is the better player right now. Hughes is the better position, but NJ is rich in C, has sore need for a star RW, and... in my own opinion, Kakko will be the better player.

I've been wrong before though.

Not to devolve into too much of Hughes here, but this argument is just tired. USNTDP regularly plays collegiate and U-20 teams and Hughes put up record setting numbers passing some pretty established top NHL players. Can we just agree that both of their resumes are equally impressive rather than dismissing one or the other?

Devils could desperately use both. A skilled center to round out Hischier - Zacha/Zajac down the middle is a perfect mix of play styles. Kakko would give us some dynamic wing depth, but then you're betting on Boqvist or Zacha being the answer to your 2C position. Could definitely happen, but Hughes would be a more surefire bet there.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not to devolve into too much of Hughes here, but this argument is just tired. USNTDP regularly plays collegiate and U-20 teams and Hughes put up record setting numbers passing some pretty established top NHL players. Can we just agree that both of their resumes are equally impressive rather than dismissing one or the other?
... What's with this "let's just be polite to everyone"-stuff? They really aren't equally as impressive and are very different in nature. Good USHL players go to college after their 18-year-old season, the older ones are all players who weren't good enough for that, aka not very good. That's the most important reason for why that league's not nearly as good as CHL. For NCAA; those are exhibitions - and NCAA is not. The only legitimate games Hughes's had vs men is at WHC. So no, we can't agree on something that objectively is false just so that everyone's "happy" or whatever. Really dislike this "can we just agree" or "let's just call everyone equally as good" or whatever. We're actually trying to discuss these players here.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
... What's with this "let's just be polite to everyone"-stuff? They really aren't equally as impressive and are very different in nature. Good USHL players go to college after their 18-year-old season, the older ones are all players who weren't good enough for that, aka not very good. That's the most important reasonf or why that league's not nearly as good as CHL. For NCAA; those are exhibitions. The only legitimate games Hughes's had vs men is at WHC.

We could go around in circles with these arguments though on both sides. They both put up high-end numbers in their respective leagues compared to kids their age. I just don't get the sense in constantly degrading the others accomplishments.

Hughes looks to be the more dynamic player offensively. Kakko looks to be the more cerebral one who is more impactful on a shift-by-shift basis. I don't envy whoever has to make the decision and project what they expect both players to turn into at the NHL level.

Reactions: deflowd

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
We could go around in circles with these arguments though on both sides. They both put up high-end numbers in their respective leagues compared to kids their age. I just don't get the sense in constantly degrading the others accomplishments.

Hughes looks to be the more dynamic player offensively. Kakko looks to be the more cerebral one who is more impactful on a shift-by-shift basis. I don't envy whoever has to make the decision and project what they expect both players to turn into at the NHL level.
No offense but the NCAA is a kiddy league compared to Liiga where the compete level is high enough that they give concussions to ex-NHL players without any respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland

”aSk ThE sCoUts, hF pOsTerS dOnt kNow hoCkeY”

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland

Both players are great but one is clearly better at this moment, can we all just agree on that

Alienato

Feb 23, 2019
Oulu
but I don't really care how good he will be.

I hope all young prospects to succeed in NHL (especially fast and high IQ players ;) Somehow this new fast and talent based hockey is way more entartaining than rought (goons, hard tackling), which is finally vanishing from NHL. Even it was entertaining in own way I'm way more pleased with current state. So reason for my hopes are that in 5-10 years all 32 NHL teams (Seattle incl. 2021), will have 1-2 superstar and working 2 dynamic lines. Think then 150p. seasons could be reality again, and maybe even more entertaining hockey than ever before.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I hope all young prospects to succeed in NHL (especially fast and high IQ players ;) Somehow this new fast and talent based hockey is way more entartaining than rought (goons, hard tackling), which is finally vanishing from NHL. Even it was entertaining in own way I'm way more pleased with current state. So reason for my hopes are that in 5-10 years all 32 NHL teams (Seattle incl. 2021), will have 1-2 superstar and working 2 dynamic lines. Think then 150p. seasons could be reality again, and maybe even more entertaining hockey than ever before.
Yeah I definitely hope they all do fine, it's more like I don't care if he is a 70, 80, 90 or 100 point player in the future. Good to have all these potential franchise players coming into the league. Good for the game and for the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alienato
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad