RW Joshua Ho-Sang - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2014, 28th overall, NY Islanders) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny

Apr 9, 2011
It is truly amazing how a player who has done absolutely nothing wrong, is the most polarizing player in this draft.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
It is a shame that we can't get to dissecting his game. From what I've put together, he reminds me of an Ales Hemsky (the early Edmonton version) type. He should excel in the neutral zone and be a strong zone entry player with his speed and skill.

A bit of an analysis on his flaws from my posts earlier:

He has the talent, but that's just about it. He doesn't have good size, he doesn't have a good mind, not a lot of character there, no defensive ability, no intangibles to speak of.

His act got tiring. Tries to go end to end 7 times a game and holds onto the puck too long and also he only really turns on the motor when he senses an offensive chance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post

I want to like him, hell I noticed that he had made strides in his game this past season and I was starting to become a fan. But my last live viewing of him left me with an absolute rotten taste in my mouth.

It was the last game of the regular season playing Kitchener at the Aud. I was at the game watching it at ice level and was planning to keep an eye on Ho-Sang and I was even telling my buddy about how special he is to see live (he never saw him live before) and how skilled he is and that he was in for a show. I was expecting the Ho-Sang that made strides in his game, but what I got to see was the bad Ho-Sang come out again. Like I said previously, he tried to go end to end 5 or 6 times in the game and turned it over almost every time. Turning the puck over was the main theme for him that night because he was trying to do too much or in one instance, was trying to make a fancy back-hand saucer pass. There was also no defensive intensity or effort at all (even looking at his facial expressions when he was in his own zone he looked out of it) and he only really skated when he sensed an opportunity to score.

That's what really soiled my opinion on him. Just that he appeared to take a step backwards and that just was a big disappointment. He's a hell of a talent though. I hope someday he figures it all out.

Now what's good about Ho-Sangs game...

Well his hands are unbelievable. He's one of the most skilled puck handlers I've seen, he really does have the puck on a string. He can make outstanding plays at high speeds. NHL level shot. Good passer when he wants to be. Great skater in all aspects.

The biggest thing he has to overcome is he has to learn to think the game differently. He doesn't maximize his talent to it's full potential. With his talent he should have easily gotten 100+ points. He tries to make the spectacular and unnecessary play, just to entertain or for the hell of it. I have no idea. He is one of the least efficient players I've seen. He's made strides but he is still incapable of making the simple play and the right play for the most part. He's still much the same player he was in his minor midget days. It won't fly in the NHL unless he changes.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ho-Sanity!!!

I dont know what Windsor will look like next year but I would love for Ho-Sang to be traded to Oshawa and Join Dal Colle.

MDC-Cassels-Ho-Sang would be sick

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
True. We have to remember that all these draftees are just prospects. Quite a few of them will never see the NHL. I've often said in life, people like to put others up on a pedestal only to find every reason to knock 'em off it. The closer you are to the spot light, the more people want to rip you apart. Comes with the territory. The Tavareses, Ho-Sangs, McDavids, Crosby's etc... just have to accept that. I'm no different a fan. I didn't like Crosby's whiny attitude when he was younger. He seems to have really come around and I respect him for it now. I guess I could understand how fans of other teams may grow to dislike a hotshot young player with a motor mouth. So long as he curtails his outspokenness a bit and plays the game without fear, he has every opportunity to excel with the big boys.

Putting his name in with those other players just proves you can't see beyond his past hype and look at the reality of his current results.

Crosby @ 17 - 2.70 ppg
Tavares @ 17 - 2.0 ppg
Ho-Sang @ 17 - 1.27 ppg

McDavid @16 1.77 ppg

Oh and when Ho-Sang was 16
.70 ppg

He is not on their level. It doesn't matter how much skill he supposedly has, the actual results show he is not an elite scoring talent. If he is not elite in juniors, he is unlikely going to be an elite scorer in the NHL.

I think the whole controversy stems from his past hype. People either wonder what is wrong with him for not living up to the hype or they still cling to the notion that he may be some superstar.

Put that noise aside for a second and look at what he has actually produced at the junior level. He had an above average year, but nothing extraordinary.

Isles fans have every reason to be optimistic that they have drafted a good forward, but when you're clinging to the McDavid comparisons and throwing in Crosby and Tavares' names you're just not looking at things realistically.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
It was the last game of the regular season playing Kitchener at the Aud. I was at the game watching it at ice level and was planning to keep an eye on Ho-Sang and I was even telling my buddy about how special he is to see live (he never saw him live before) and how skilled he is and that he was in for a show. I was expecting the Ho-Sang that made strides in his game, but what I got to see was the bad Ho-Sang come out again. Like I said previously, he tried to go end to end 5 or 6 times in the game and turned it over almost every time. Turning the puck over was the main theme for him that night because he was trying to do too much or in one instance, was trying to make a fancy back-hand saucer pass. There was also no defensive intensity or effort at all (even looking at his facial expressions when he was in his own zone he looked out of it) and he only really skated when he sensed an opportunity to score.

I completely agree with you, in the he really likes to play a 200 ft offensive game. It seems like he like to play like everywhere on the ice is the O. zone. And while I think that that area is definitely something that needs to be attended to, I can also say as an athlete, sometimes, it just comes down to having an off night. Not every night can be a perfect night, for anyone. If that were true, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Ovechkin etc. would have 82 game point streaks, season after season. You also have to remember, he's been highly touted as a player for, what? 4 years? He's had people saying he's a big deal. And it's obvious that he isn't a modest guy (nothing wrong with that). So that will get to his head. He's only 18. Think about when you were a teen. Most think they're better than everyone else. Most think they're god like. He's not like JT who will "push aside" people saying he's good. He's got time to grow up. Give him that time. Let him mature.

This team is giving him a chance. Like he said in his interviews, all he needed was a team to believe in him, a team to give him that chance. He will push until he can't breathe. He will do whatever they ask him to. All he ever wanted was someone to believe in him. Not question his every action. If the Isles say, "Hey we know you like to enter the zone with the puck, but we need you to pass it a bit more, maybe a dump and chase." Then he sounds like they guy that will work on that.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Even though I believe he has a better chance to make it, the controversy and chatter around Ho-Sang on these boards really reminds me of Rob Schremp. Schremp spawned a lot of threads and similar discussion on HF over the years.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Main issue is he's a really selfish player and doesn't play a responsible team game.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Even though I believe he has a better chance to make it, the controversy and chatter around Ho-Sang on these boards really reminds me of Rob Schremp. Schremp spawned a lot of threads and similar discussion on HF over the years.

He didn't make it, so don't expect Ho Sang to either.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I completely agree with you, in the he really likes to play a 200 ft offensive game. It seems like he like to play like everywhere on the ice is the O. zone. And while I think that that area is definitely something that needs to be attended to, I can also say as an athlete, sometimes, it just comes down to having an off night. Not every night can be a perfect night, for anyone. If that were true, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Ovechkin etc. would have 82 game point streaks, season after season. You also have to remember, he's been highly touted as a player for, what? 4 years? He's had people saying he's a big deal. And it's obvious that he isn't a modest guy (nothing wrong with that). So that will get to his head. He's only 18. Think about when you were a teen. Most think they're better than everyone else. Most think they're god like. He's not like JT who will "push aside" people saying he's good. He's got time to grow up. Give him that time. Let him mature.

This team is giving him a chance. Like he said in his interviews, all he needed was a team to believe in him, a team to give him that chance. He will push until he can't breathe. He will do whatever they ask him to. All he ever wanted was someone to believe in him. Not question his every action. If the Isles say, "Hey we know you like to enter the zone with the puck, but we need you to pass it a bit more, maybe a dump and chase." Then he sounds like they guy that will work on that.

Except that isn't the case here. Well people have been saying McDavid is so good, but has that gone to his head, no. Well the Windsor Spitfires believed in him, hasn't worked out so well there, if he still hasn't understood the concept of team play at this point under a great coach in Boughner, he's likely never to, has a ton of work to do to make it.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
He didn't make it, so don't expect Ho Sang to either.

You are dominating the Ho-Sang threads (negatively). I think the whole world knows your position on him yet you continue to repeat yourself. What's your obsession with him?

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
Except that isn't the case here. Well people have been saying McDavid is so good, but has that gone to his head, no. Well the Windsor Spitfires believed in him, hasn't worked out so well there, if he still hasn't understood the concept of team play at this point under a great coach in Boughner, he's likely never to, has a ton of work to do to make it.

The reason it doesn't got to McDavid's head is because of character. If you were Ho-Sang, who no one can deny is a very confident person, and you've been oppressed, sometimes to the point of having to call people out for racism, hearing that you're good is going to go to your head. He isn't modest by any means. I said that. He has an ego. And after years of "quiet" reserved players, I like that. It makes him stand out.

Likely never to? I'll admit he definitely has some work ahead of him. He will has to change something he's never had to change before, but it's also a big thing to remember, the OHL is NOT the NHL. However good some of the kids are, if you have talent, then playing in the OHL is not as difficult for you. And it doesn't have the same impact as being drafted by the NHL. As far as I'm aware, when (if), they scouted JHS for the OHL, everyone agreed that he was a top end player, who, in the OHL draft, could go 1-2 along with McDavid (before he was granted EPS). As a kid, literally a kid (age 16 i believe?) and NOT being a modest person, that'll get to you. To him, the NHL is where it matters, he wants to play where it really counts. So an OHL team believing in him is nice, but it doesn't have the same affect.

Now I should say that this is how I see it. Maybe I'm flat out wrong. Who knows? He's not going to be in the league next year and we can all agree on that (unless something dramatically insane happens). I don't know his exact thought process, but from what he says when he talks, and what he has done, this is what I think. But to say he'll likely never learn? That's a bit naive. He wants a chance to play at the top, so he'll do whatever he can to make that so.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

With Ho-Sang it's definitely not about having an off night. He's just really bad defensively...and for reasons only he could explain to you, hasn't shown the inclination to improve his effort the last two seasons.

His play in his own zone is also problematic because of how prone he is to turnovers - which often come from selfish play.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
I am rooting so hard for Josh. It's beyond me why anyone would want him (or any prospects) not to succeed. He's passionate -and- skilled, and maybe a little bit outspoken-- so what? As a hockey fan first and foremost, it would be so nice to see him prove all his doubters wrong and help the NYI really become contenders.

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
He is still a kid that may not see the NHL ice for 3 years. A top 5 talent that goes late first rnd. I know, I know....so was Kabanov. Different player, totally different attitude. This kid really seems excited and ready to put the past issues behind him. I'm sure Cairns will be sitting down with him, going over what he needs to do to make the NHL and work very closely with him. He's got game, just need to get him to focus on the little things that separate you from the other players that are expected to be NHL'ers. He will be fine and I have to believe he will end up being a great pick.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
With Ho-Sang it's definitely not about having an off night. He's just really bad defensively...and for reasons only he could explain to you, hasn't shown the inclination to improve his effort the last two seasons.

His play in his own zone is also problematic because of how prone he is to turnovers - which often come from selfish play.

If he is so bad defensively, how the hell was he a +26 this season? You cannot be bad defensively if your +26.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
So he may not be a Stamkos, Crosby or Tavares...

He won't see NHL ice for awhile, he's going to get stronger and put on weight before that happens. So I really don't buy the size deficiency. If he follows the training regimen set out he can easily put on 10 lbs of muscle a year, which in 2 or 3 years has him right up to par (or on the beefier side) with most NHL players standing at 5" 11'.

His game will develop as he plays alongside higher skilled players, he will catch the drift and make more responsible moves on the ice.

In the justice system, you're supposedly innocent until proven guilty.

People will consider Ho-Sang to be the guy who is a bust until proven to be a good player.

This is going to be the guy everyone loves to hate. No doubt about that.
I still see someone who has the tools to be a consistent 30 Goal scorer in the NHL for years to come.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He looked solid physically. His mom is a nutritionist so he knows how and what to eat.

I like to know his official height and Weight. I have seen 5'11 166 but the draft had him listed at 5'11 175 and I believe they get thier heights and weights from the combine. You can't go by the isles site because they inflate the heck out of those. Cammarata is 5'10 according to them lol I bet in prospect camp they list Ho-Sang at 6'0.

Anyway I'm not concerned about his size. I think with his style of play and his skill set he can play at 5'11 175+. He has a similar build and skill set of Patty Kane. Also he's a bit more solid than Ehlers who some wanted to pick in the top10. Nylander too. These boys are not men yet.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

except Ho-Sang can skate better with one leg then Robbie Schremp ever could

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The thing I love about this kid is that we've so little of him, but in the short 2 years he has been in the OHL he has been pulling fans out of their seats.

What we are seeing with those high light reels may just be the tip of the iceberg.

I just can't see this kid not making the NHL. His desire, will, and fearlessness to be the best appears unstoppable. Kabanov while having the carefree attitude lacks the drive to get past the physical stuff and do whatever it takes to score goals consistently. Shremp appeared to be more a one trick pony- excellent with the penalty shots but not much else- no speed, slow reaction times, very little aggression. You watch Bailey playing at times and it looks like he's clinically depressed. This kid has so much fire in his game he looks like a player possessed when he has the puck. I can't see this kid being the next Filatov. All good stuff.

Previous discussion on HF had posters comparing his play to Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Kovulchuk, Duchene, Stamkos among others. At very least, he sounds like a phenomenal player to watch. Most posters were saying he is Datsyuk reborn. I can't wait to see more of him next year.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
It is truly amazing how a player who has done absolutely nothing wrong, is the most polarizing player in this draft.

well he was born. so he's already guilty

seriously though. I can't find the really bad stuff about this kid. all i see is he is cocky and probably thinks he's better than he is. but i've also seen him talk about having to work hard to get to the NHL, so it doesn't appear that work ethic is a problem for him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
well he was born. so he's already guilty

seriously though. I can't find the really bad stuff about this kid. all i see is he is cocky and probably thinks he's better than he is. but i've also seen him talk about having to work hard to get to the NHL, so it doesn't appear that work ethic is a problem for him.

The Isles are going to be patient with him, like they are with all their prospects now. He has 2 years in the OHL to refine his game. He'll likely get AHL time before he is even considered for an NHL spot too. He was a swing for the fences and is a project, him panning out is not essential for our future success. MDC is the key player we need to pan out, Ho-Sang would be gravy.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Isles are going to be patient with him, like they are with all their prospects now. He has 2 years in the OHL to refine his game. He'll likely get AHL time before he is even considered for an NHL spot too. He was a swing for the fences and is a project, him panning out is not essential for our future success. MDC is the key player we need to pan out, Ho-Sang would be gravy.

I see MDC and Ho-Sang taking a similar path that Strome took.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad